My 211 DVR function is activated

Let's see how long the drive last, it never powers off.

Exactly, this concerns me too. I don't want to have to buy a new EHD every couple of months because these things are constantly on and eventually die. I'm considering unplugging the EHD everynight.

[when ppl start reading thread ? - asking same questions again and again]
You know, most people really don't want to read through nine page threads. I'd rather some nice person answer me. Wouldn't you?

Has anyone found a way to turn any of the external hard drives connected to the 211 without the 211 having to reboot? From what I gather, everyone is leaving there hard drive on 24/7.

Got mine working. Rigged up, but I don't care. It's a bare external drive with a SATA kit.

Works great and was dirt cheap (drive was lying around, the connector was $10).

Can't see it and it works like a champ. Good enough for me!

Attachments

• bdfc471aa8294d839eec61e8a8175e48.jpg
    bdfc471aa8294d839eec61e8a8175e48.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 255
so I am not familiar with external hard drives, can I take it on the go to watch movies? I can hook it up to my laptop when I am at a hotel? I have Vista.

so I am not familiar with external hard drives, can I take it on the go to watch movies? I can hook it up to my laptop when I am at a hotel? I have Vista.
No. It is limited to use with the receiver only. Formatted Linux. DRM.

Got mine working. Rigged up, but I don't care. It's a bare external drive with a SATA kit.

Works great and was dirt cheap (drive was lying around, the connector was $10).

Can't see it and it works like a champ. Good enough for me!
Let me know how yours survives the nightly reboot. My Newer Technology has been MIA more often than not after the reboot.

I may have our first "Undocumented Feature": if my receiver does the nightly reboot when it's tuned to an ATSC channel instead of a satellite channel, it does not put the drive on-line. I was tuned to a local digital station this morning and tried unplugging and re-plugging in the EHD. The 211 said that the drive was detected and that a reboot was needed, but it did not come back. I tried it three times, then I tried tuning the 211 to HDNet and rebooted. The drive showed signs of activity and after it came up, and the DVR button was working again.

I'm going to test more, because I can't believe that something this obvious would have been missed in testing.

I would move a movie that you might want to watch "on the go" to your ViP DVR then you could hook the DVR up to your hotel set.

Don't do this often as the receiver needs to call home and talk to mom somethimes. :D

EDIT: Nevermind the experience...just duplicated that of others, apparently.

For those interested, I hooked up the WD MyBook 320GB drive that I won in the SatGuys Holiday party last year (thanks again!:D)...had it sitting around waiting on this feature. the 211 estimates the 320GB drive as having 30hrs 33min of HD recording time.

Last edited:
Oh, c'mon. Hope you're kidding.

I mean if you'd find it before your call - that was my intention to share the fiasco and prevent to fall in same hole other ppl.

Has anyone found a way to turn any of the external hard drives connected to the 211 without the 211 having to reboot? From what I gather, everyone is leaving there hard drive on 24/7.

24x7

Drive will last longer if it is on all the time.