My Top Five Improvements to Dish DVR software

For me:

1. Increase or eliminate the timer / event limit.
  2. Add an option to sort by episode number or original air date (as a secondary sort to name).
    I'm baffled that after all these years this isn't there, since it's such a no-brainer to have this.
  3. Use the same UI and behavior for EHD recordings as the regular recordings.
    As a software developer I'm amazed that they chose to change the UI and behavior for EHD recordings as opposed to just re-using the code from regular recordings.
  4. Add a way to skip events that are already being skipped by priority (and preferrably multiple at once).
    When I manualy skip an event, frequently a different event will "un-skip" because it was previously skipped by priority and it now fits in the freed up time slot.
    Most of those "un-skipped" events tend to be ones that I do want skipped in the first place.
    If you could mark them as "skip" while they were already skipped by priority, then it would probably take a lot less time to manage timers since the DVR could just ignore those when evaluating events.
  5. Add a search option to search movies by the "star" rating.
To me 3 out of these 5 (2, 3 and 5) should be fairly easy and quick to develop and test, and would make a significant enough difference in the user experience.
There are many more than just those 3 that could improve things quite a bit.
Rather than adding big features, perhaps take just one software update to just focus on small things.
That should be fairly safe, easy and should make a lot of people happy.

Hi espnsti, I'd love to see a search by star rating as well. I'm sure it would help to get more out of the premium subscriptions.

I would like to add a screen saver to my wish list. If paused for more than a few minutes, it would be nice if the screen would go dark, maybe with a Dish Network logo bobbing around. It really isn't a good idea to leave a still image on a plasma screen for a long time.

In another unrelated request, when prioritizing timers, it would be nice to temporarily hide "once" recordings. They get in the way when deciding priorities for recurring recordings.

I agree with ESPNSTI, sort by episode or by original date within each title alphabetic sort.

Add a user alphabetic field and allow sorting on it. I use IMDB rankings and prefer this 10 by .1 scale to the Tribune 4 by 1/2 stars. This should include the EHD. I'm sure users can find may uses.

How about a way to use both USB ports to transfer from one EHD to another? Then you do not need to do two transfers.

Library sort ignoring a, an, and the. This could be extended to German der/die/das, French, and Spanish, although that is less important.

If the position is held after viewing the recording then it is easy to delete it as in another request.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)