My Top Five Improvements to Dish DVR software

I'd add:

* A one-click delete. It takes way too many button presses to delete a show, and having to confirm every deletion has annoyed me since day 1 with Dish.

* A Deleted Items folder like TiVO has, where you can recover a deleted show, and which is automatically emptied as DVR space is needed.

* Better interface and more organization to the On Demand content.

I would like a feature like that but don't think it will happen. It would decrease the hard drive space for their reserved VOD crap.

3. The program guide/Search does not list the full name of programs. For instance, I keep seeing "Harry Potter and..." listed but I have no idea which of the movies this is. Even hitting INFO does not display any more of the title. How can I find out which Harry Potter movie this is?
They had it, Directv has it, in fact gives more program info... the full info should be returned(it was there, bring it back!)... also the episode numbers are way off, the Pilot for ER aired on TNT this morning and was listed as episode 92, same the other day for NCIS. This can and should be fixed as this is sloppy guide management...

Allow those of us 622/722 users with EHDs attached an option to record programs directly to the EHD. There are times when my internal drive is almost full and especially when it's a recording I want to archive anyway it would make things a lot easier....

5. When I put the DVR into standby, it stops recording the channel it was on. If this is the case and the DVR is not actually recording anything, it should go into a low power mode just like a PC where the fan stops running and the hard drive spins down. This DVR just runs all day and night making heat and using electricity when nothing is being recorded.

Do you want a Manual Recording to fill up your hard drive?

Here's a change I, and others, have suggested before:

Add a user option to set the default behavior for setting a timer, i.e. Once, All, or New.

The majority of the time we seem to just want "once" but for a series, it defaults to all.

#4 Have an option that turns off the damnable standby-mode screen-saver. This half-baked idea messes up operation of automatic video switches.

Is that not under "preferences/inactivity" menu?
No it is not. According to my 722 manual:
If your receiver is on for a preset period of time without any activity (for example, no channel
changes), the Inactivity Standby feature turns off the receiver...
So you can disable this feature and leave your receiver on all the time. But whether it's disabled or enabled, when your receiver goes into standby mode, it will not actually turn off it's video signal. It merely puts up a screen saver for dunderheads who cannot find their receiver's output when it is (presumably by mistake) really in standby mode.

I would like to see an option in place to be able to play back multiple recordings back to back. Maybe up to a limit of 5.

My kids have tons of The Backyardagains, Baby Looney Tunes, and Ben 10 recordings on their DVR. It would be nice to set the recordings to play back more than one then having to keep choosing a new one after it's done.

Just a thought...

One of my biggest issues with Dish has been how it seems to take eons longer to do simple tasks with the DVR as compared to Direct.
Like for instance if I was watching a program and wanted to record the series all it would take is for me to hit the record button twice, now with Dish we all know its not quit that simple. Now I could go on but I love Dish's dvr's so Im done complaining

Like for instance if I was watching a program and wanted to record the series all it would take is for me to hit the record button twice...
Push the "Select" button twice (and ignore the screens that pop up). Pressing it once tells it "I want to record this". The second push is "Create timer" and lets you make some changes if you want. You don't have to, of course.

Why do people want it easier to delete a program but then also want a "recycle bin" ? Dish already "makes it hard" to delete a program and hopefully negates the need for a recycle bin...

I think you answered your own question. We want it easier to delete, but have the ability to recover. 99% of the time you'll do it right, so why go through all the extra clicking around?

Think of all the batteries that will be saved with so many fewer keypresses.... :)

I hope my recorder that dropped closed captions (CC) continues to work with a recent update. It didn't before.

-Ken

Hi Ken, I meant to add CC to my request list but then forgot at the last minute. I would like a quick way to toggle CC. Sometimes I just can't make out a line but I know it is important so turning CC on for a minute then off again is really useful. You can toggle CC on and off with DirecTV in just a few button clicks. Dish hides it deep in the menus.

Why do people want it easier to delete a program but then also want a "recycle bin" ? Dish already "makes it hard" to delete a program and hopefully negates the need for a recycle bin...

I think that is exactly the point. We want it to be EASY to delete. If a mistake is made you can easily get the recording back. The disk space is there, why not use it. In fact, I think that when you delete it just changes some pointers and the program doesn't really get erased until the operating system decides to re-write over that space.

Deleted folder is also nice if more than one person controls the deletion. One person can easily delete something that the other person has not yet seen .

I also hate that feeling of "Oh damn", I should have kept that for a few more days.

One of my biggest issues with Dish has been how it seems to take eons longer to do simple tasks with the DVR as compared to Direct.
Like for instance if I was watching a program and wanted to record the series all it would take is for me to hit the record button twice, now with Dish we all know its not quit that simple. Now I could go on but I love Dish's dvr's so Im done complaining

Yes this is a great feature. Once to record single episode, twice for series, and a third push cancels the recording. All without leaving the program guide.

Oh another thing I would like to see is a way to display how much recording is left without having to push pause then play again. Perhaps if they made it so pressing play while already playing just displayed the status screen for a moment.

Oh another thing I would like to see is a way to display how much recording is left without having to push pause then play again. Perhaps if they made it so pressing play while already playing just displayed the status screen for a moment.
If you hit the Select button while watching a recording, the time left is displayed...

5. When I put the DVR into standby, it stops recording the channel it was on. If this is the case and the DVR is not actually recording anything, it should go into a low power mode just like a PC where the fan stops running and the hard drive spins down. This DVR just runs all day and night making heat and using electricity when nothing is being recorded.

I agree. Since the buffers shut down, why not have an option to put it into low-power mode? Just park the drive heads, kill the vpu (no screen saver) and step down the fan speed. All it needs running in standby mode is a scheduler thread so it can "wake up" for timed events or updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts