NASA HD Television Channel

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
"NASA TV now has a full-time HD Channel available at no cost to cable and satellite service providers."
Just curious as to how many people would like Dish to provide a "NASA HD TV" channel. NASA would not charge Dish a dime. I would love it!

Source of quote and thumbnail: NASA - NASA TV

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Frank Jr. said:
Just curious as to how many people would like Dish to provide a "NASA HD TV" channel. NASA would not charge Dish a dime. I would love it!

Now that the shuttles have been retired, I'm not sure there'd be enough major event coverage to justify the bandwidth usage. Press conferences don't strike me as candidates for the best use of HD allocation.

Once the western arc conversion is done and some of the bandwidth crunch is alleviated, I'd be all for it. Until then, I'd vote pass on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Now that the shuttles have been retired, I'm not sure there'd be enough major event coverage to justify the bandwidth usage. Press conferences don't strike me as candidates for the best use of HD allocation.Once the western arc conversion is done and some of the bandwidth crunch is alleviated, I'd be all for it. Until then, I'd vote pass on this one.

Can't argue your points about the shuttle launches, but they still have a lot of good HD content that I enjoy watching.;)

Last edited:
I would definitly want NASA in HD! The picture quality on Roku is not good enough.

NASA does have sufficient content in HD to justify the HD channel and it will only get better as time goes by.

Limited bandwidth on Dish is not a good argument. Dish currently has HD channels that have no HD content at all (Logo, Centric) - it could easily downgrade those to SD and make room for NASA HD!

There is no excuse for not having NASA in HD!

Ilya said:
I would definitly want NASA in HD! The picture quality on Roku is not good enough.

NASA does have sufficient content in HD to justify the HD channel and it will only get better as time goes by.

Limited bandwidth on Dish is not a good argument. Dish currently has HD channels that have no HD content at all (Logo, Centric) - it could easily downgrade those to SD and make room for NASA HD!

There is no excuse for not having NASA in HD!

That completely ignores the reality of contracts for carriage agreement. Dish can't switch a transmission from HD to SD like you mention unless the contract allows them to or a new one is negotiated.

That completely ignores the reality of contracts for carriage agreement. Dish can't switch a transmission from HD to SD like you mention unless the contract allows them to or a new one is negotiated.

NASA is a PI channel..They "pay" to be carried (kinda sorta)

Such contract doesn't make much sense, if the channel doesn't offer any HD content at all!
Fine, put NASA HD on the Test channel! Or does it have a contract too? ;)

I'm not sure about Shuttles being comletely dead forever. I would bet that one day space shuttles would be recomissioned. I was in Orlando during the last launch, and actually saw the shuttle in Disney's Animal Kingdom. Some people around had the same belief, that even though this current administration felt that money couldbe best used in other places, that doesn't mean that future ones would have the same beliefs.

been watching it for a while on C-Band....most of the programming they show on the HD channel is in HD (inalot of cases its a HD simulcast of the SD channel)

Depends on bandwidth me, regardless of cost. If it's going to take up room that could go to something of more value to me like ESPNUHD, then Id say no. If we have plenty of space, why not.

I'm not sure about Shuttles being comletely dead forever. I would bet that one day space shuttles would be recomissioned. I was in Orlando during the last launch, and actually saw the shuttle in Disney's Animal Kingdom. Some people around had the same belief, that even though this current administration felt that money couldbe best used in other places, that doesn't mean that future ones would have the same beliefs.

The shuttle is done, forever. There's no going back - the program has ended, the orbiters are being decommissioned, the facilities are being repurposed.

Manned space exploration is not over for the US...it will continue, in a different form. But the shuttle program is over.

On the topic of the thread, I'd be a lifelong Dish customer if they had NASA HD. Even if it meant having to have a separate service for MSG! The Ustream quality isn't bad at times, but still doesn't match real HD quality. I saw a direct NASA feed when I was at the press site for the last launch...before it was even uplinked to C-band...and it was some of the most glorious HD I have ever seen!

Yep, I've been asking for NASA HD since they started uplinking in HD. There's some great stuff still even without the shuttle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)