Nascar 2009

Looks like someone in the crowd got a broken jaw. It's about time we saw a good crash but I didn't want to see one that was that scary. If Edwards didn't hit the bottom part of the wall on the way to the fence he might have gone into the crowd. The bottom of the wall slowed him down.

Looks like someone in the crowd got a broken jaw. It's about time we saw a good crash but I didn't want to see one that was that scary. If Edwards didn't hit the bottom part of the wall on the way to the fence he might have gone into the crowd. The bottom of the wall slowed him down.

Wow, where to start with this post...

Good Crash??? what's a "good" crash, and which one's aren't scary?

I can't wait to see the window nets coming down.

Did Dale Sr's crash look scary or "good"? Did, Adam Petty's? how about Bobby Allison at Dega in 87? Rusty and Elliot Sadler at Dega?

The first thing that went through my mind was "not again!"

The improved catch fence did it's job. kept the car from the spectators. Even if the car hit it head on without hitting the wall first the fence would have held.

Carl also has a short memory, Plate racing has killed someone.

I don't pretend to know the answer on how to address the speed issue at Dega and Daytona, I do know that plate racing ain't it.

Wow, where to start with this post...

Good Crash??? what's a "good" crash, and which one's aren't scary?

I can't wait to see the window nets coming down.

Did Dale Sr's crash look scary or "good"? Did, Adam Petty's? how about Bobby Allison at Dega in 87? Rusty and Elliot Sadler at Dega?

The first thing that went through my mind was "not again!"

The improved catch fence did it's job. kept the car from the spectators. Even if the car hit it head on without hitting the wall first the fence would have held.

Carl also has a short memory, Plate racing has killed someone.

I don't pretend to know the answer on how to address the speed issue at Dega and Daytona, I do know that plate racing ain't it.

NASCAR has become boring. I blame the COT for one. The ratings are down 13 percent from last year. And with this economy and ticket sales down you would think the ratings would be up. Face it, You watch NASCAR to see wrecks. That is a fact.

Yeterday building up to the race Speed and FOX were running all kinds of teases and video about Amazing Crashes at Tallidega.

As they race was going they kept on saying we should be seeing some spectacular crashes today and then they had that amazing crash early in the race, which in itself belongs in next years video loop on crashes at Talladega. (And everyone walked away.)

But the finish was amazing, its a shame a few fans got hurt with the flying debris, but the fence did its job.

I could have sworn I was watching the end of Tallidega Nights when Carl Edwards did his best Ricky Bobby impersionation getting out of his car, and running to the finish line to end the race.

Let's be honest, people like watching NASCAR because they like watching the races and enjoy watching the crashes (when no one gets hurt, nobody wants to see someone get hurt) its like watching hockey, sure you go to watch the game, but you also enjoy the fights.

in my opinion, the fence did its job...it kept a 3400lb car from landing in about 20-50 peoples laps. The car did its job, it kept both Carl and Ryan Newman safe. in fact the car itself...(Carls) would have not gotten that high if Newman wouldn't have hit him. The flaps were deployed and keeping the car from the flipping point. So other then minor injuries, I feal that everything did its job this time. Now about the future...Fans weant to be close to the action, and want to sit close to it because you can feal the horsepower, the wind and even smell the gas being burned off. If they want to sit there, that is there choice. You need to take responsibitly for what you do. Nascar has made these tracks for the most part safe. The only other option is to maybe make a clear plexi glass add on to the fence? I think that would defeat the purpose of being close to the action. I guess all I can say is today, eveyone survives...maybe in the future someone doesn't, but that is your choice for chosing to sit close to where a 3400lb car can hit a steel fence. I think 15 years ago that crash would have been alot differant. (without the flaps, without the COT, without the hans device, and probley not as safe a car) So I belive NASCAR has made things alot safer then in the past.

Boring? Really? 56 lead changes yesterday. Drivers going from the back to the front multiple times and front to the back. 4-5 wide racing. Another first time winner.

Watch the races for the wrecks? Is that why YOU watch?

I certainly didn't tune in to watch Greg Moore die in 1999 in the Fontana Indy race.
or Salt Walther seriously injured in the 1973 Indy 500, Bobby Allison rip down the catch fence in 87, Richard Petty do the same thing at Daytona in 88. Aryton Senna die in 94 in San Marino.

And Yes, I was watching each of those races.

I tune in to see Alan Kulwicki in the Underbird win the series championship, Bill Elliot win the Winston Million, Ricky Craven and Kurt Busch at Darlington in 2003, Harvick and Gordon in Atlanta in 2001.

I tune in to hear all the talk about a brash young kid with a silver sppon who did nothing but push his cars too far and wreck in his first full season and then watch him blosom into a four time series champion.

I could go on, but you should be getting my point.

Face it, That's why I watch NASACR.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS!

in my opinion, the fence did its job...it kept a 3400lb car from landing in about 20-50 peoples laps. The car did its job, it kept both Carl and Ryan Newman safe. in fact the car itself...(Carls) would have not gotten that high if Newman wouldn't have hit him. The flaps were deployed and keeping the car from the flipping point. So other then minor injuries, I feal that everything did its job this time. Now about the future...Fans weant to be close to the action, and want to sit close to it because you can feal the horsepower, the wind and even smell the gas being burned off. If they want to sit there, that is there choice. You need to take responsibitly for what you do. Nascar has made these tracks for the most part safe. The only other option is to maybe make a clear plexi glass add on to the fence? I think that would defeat the purpose of being close to the action. I guess all I can say is today, eveyone survives...maybe in the future someone doesn't, but that is your choice for chosing to sit close to where a 3400lb car can hit a steel fence. I think 15 years ago that crash would have been alot differant. (without the flaps, without the COT, without the hans device, and probley not as safe a car) So I belive NASCAR has made things alot safer then in the past.

If you look at the replay you can see Carl make contact with the barrier before he went up into the fence so the fence didn't take the full impact . If it did it might not have held up. So they were lucky. There will always be risk at the races .

Boring? Really? 56 lead changes yesterday. Drivers going from the back to the front multiple times and front to the back. 4-5 wide racing. Another first time winner.

I certainly didn't tune in to watch Greg Moore die in 1999 in the Fontana Indy race.
or Salt Walther seriously injured in the 1973 Indy 500, Bobby Allison rip down the catch fence in 87, Richard Petty do the same thing at Daytona in 88. Aryton Senna die in 94 in San Marino.

I tune in to see Alan Kulwicki in the Underbird win the series championship, Bill Elliot win the Winston Million, Ricky Craven and Kurt Busch at Darlington in 2003, Harvick and Gordon in Atlanta in 2001.

I tune in to hear all the talk about a brash young kid with a silver sppon who did nothing but push his cars too far and wreck in his first full season and then watch him blosom into a four time series champion.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS!
So why are the ratings down then?
Fox's broadcast of last Saturday's Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix received a final rating of 3.6, down from a 4.4 it received on year ago - a drop of 18 percent. And check this out. the drop in number of viewers (from 7.2 million to 5.9 million) was 22 percent - more than one-fifth of the total audience.

I watched Speed before the race as the Digger stuff gets old quick...

Very old. We have had to listen to DW and his Boogity BS, and now this

THOSE ARE THE FACTS!

Well said!!!!!!!!!:up

So you think NASCAR racing is exciting now?

Yes I do. Although, I am not a big fan of plate racing though, but I still watch every race. You can quote ratings all you want. If you are a fan of anything, those #'s don't mean s#$%. Has the economy hurt the sport? Yes, but NASCAR isn't the only thing. There are those that do watch the races just for the wrecks. They are not fans. I watched Mark Martin win a caution free race at Talladega in 1997. One hell of an exciting race to me. So for you to say, and I quote you, Face it, You watch NASCAR to see wrecks. That is a fact. is wrong. That may be why you watch NASCAR, or any other sport,just for the accidents, doesn't mean we all do.

Last edited:
I don't pretend to know the answer on how to address the speed issue at Dega and Daytona, I do know that plate racing ain't it.[/QUOTE]

Bobby Allison said to do away with the plates and mandate a smaller engine at Talladega & Daytona.

Isiah blasts Magic Johnson over criticisms in forthcoming book

What is NBC's "Football Night in America" obscuring?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)