NBR - New Episodes vs Dish Pass

Steve Mackay

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
I've just read the NBR instruction thread and am worried about Wishbones comment regarding All Episodes vs Dish Pass and wondered if the same applied to New Episodes vs Dish Pass

When I converted my weekly timers to NBR timers I just went to the guide, set up the timer and then hit new episodes. I assumed that the schedule will get updated each day as the new program guide gets downloaded?

However from what I gather from Wishbones post this is not the case? It will only record new episodes in the guide at the time of creating the timer?

Can anybody clarify this for me?

Thanks

Steve

I thought that it reads the EPG and if it sees the word "new" in the info it will record it?

Actually it reads the guide and if the show is the current season (2004 now) it will be recorded as new. Definately the wrong way to determin a new show. BFG's method would be much better.

My question is does it only read the EPG once to set up the timers? i.e. the EPG extends out 10 days. I set up a 'New' timer today and it will schedule events out 10 days lets say to the 31st of December

When the new EPG downloads tonight the EPG will go out to the 1st of January. Will the timers I set up record my shows on the 1st of January or will it stop on the 31st of December because it only scheduled events out from the original 10 days?

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well.

Steve

Any recurring timer should search the guide on every update of the EPG. Thats what they said it does. I haven't had it long enough to test yet.

If what Kevin says is right then there is no difference in teh way Dish Pass operates vs New Episodes?

I guess I misunderstood what Wishbone was saying in the NBR Instructions Thread! (I hope I did :) )

Steve

My understanding of it is that DISH pass is for searching for something you have no idea of when it might be on. Say you want to record programs about 'whales' you tell it that and then any program about whales would be recorded (until you cancelled the pass)

Yup, dish pass finds episodes on all channels, while the other NBR items are only limited to the channel you select.

Using year is pretty lame IMO

What happens in the new year, will all 2005 shows be considered NEW and anything that was made in 2004 that hasn't aired yet not be considered new?

This really is not the best method to use IMO.

From the Guide..

DISH Pass lets you create an automated DVR timer for a program title, actor’s name, or
keyword. After you set up a DISH Pass, the receiver will continually search based on your
request.

and

It's very important to enable the receiver to receive Nightly Updates. By doing this, the
Electronic Program Guide will have the most up-to-date information, and can adjust or
create timers accordingly

So what I comprehend from this, each day your EPG gets updated it will keep searching and update your timers as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts