NCAA Football 2014 season

I just dont understand a team like Va Tech actually wanting to play on thursday.
It makes sense for a mid major, but a team in a power conference? Give me Saturday.
Only chance at prime time is the only thing I can think of.

Most of the big schools refuse to play on Thursday. Most SEC coaches are on record as saying they'll never play a Thursday game.

I personally hate them. Even being a 45 min. drive from Grant Field, I'm not going to drive into Atlanta for a night game, when I have to work the next day (thankfully we don't have any Thurs games this year). Saturday is easy to make plans for, Thursday not so.

As much as I enjoy a mid week game as it gives me something to watch until I drift off, I would rather ALL of the games bama plays in be on a saturday (which they are).
Even the times we have been in the BCS champ game I groan, as its a monday night and I get up at 4 in the morning. Ughh.

New quarterback at Georgia is my concern to. Anytime you get a new quarterback it's a big question mark as there's a big difference between high school and college. Thankfully they have Gurley to take some pressure off of the new QB.

Agreed. Qb's are a heart of the team and a new one always is a concern until you get a few games in.

With a decent O line, bama SHOULD be fine, even without a stand out QB. The backfield is as stacked as it has been in recent years and that is saying alot.
If the O line doesnt come together, then we will have issues.

If Coker comes in and lights it up, this could be the best Bama offense in decades. Our WRs are as loaded as our RB corp.

I just am not comfortable with Sims. At all.

Agree 100%.

Miami was not worth it's #14 ranking at the time, that's why I always use end of season rankings to determine how many ranked teams someone played, win or lose.

As for holding Alabama on yards, how much of that was against the 2nd and 3rd string?

Still doesn't matter they were #14 when they were played and beaten on home turf...I always go by what they were at that time because as I said a few pages back football is like hunting, you gotta be at the right place at the right time to sometimes win a game. I don't know about the 2nd and 3rd string deals of what the alabama game played, not sure why you are looking for an out but they were held to very low yards the fewest since they played LSU years back - stats are stats regardless but I'm sure they had the first team in the whole time and just rotated guys in and out towards the end.

I just dont understand a team like Va Tech actually wanting to play on thursday.
It makes sense for a mid major, but a team in a power conference? Give me Saturday.

Thursday night games in Blacksburg just have this thing to them... gives people a chance to really dig in and tailgate all day. Saturday games are unlikely to be night games unless its prime time which has happened a few times but depends on ESPN and if they wish to cover it or not. You really have to be there to understand it on that night, I've been to many stadiums and home team aside it is an atmosphere like no other.

Va Tech played good on defense for sure, but the game was never even remotely in question.

I believe had Beamer put the better players on Special teams it would have been much closer but he learned that lesson and switched things up the next game which was covered widely on sports columns. I was satisfied by the end result of that game regardless of score it did speak worlds for the defense.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332430259
Here are the stats... it lists Sims in there but lol come on man he didn't do anything. Had it not been for the special teams screw ups it would have been much closer. VT outrushed them by 50 yards and yes the defense made alot of that happen but the stats show much here but its in the past, ohh well moving on I was there blah blah blah..

Only chance at prime time is the only thing I can think of.

Most of the big schools refuse to play on Thursday. Most SEC coaches are on record as saying they'll never play a Thursday game.

I personally hate them. Even being a 45 min. drive from Grant Field, I'm not going to drive into Atlanta for a night game, when I have to work the next day (thankfully we don't have any Thurs games this year). Saturday is easy to make plans for, Thursday not so.

Lol again with the negativity man.. it isn't because of a "only" chance at prime time... you gotta be there for them to really understand.
Last year the AD took it away (he's gone now) and he got such an ear full and with that caused people not to buy season tickets and ended up having the sell out streak lost because of it. He was listening to a very small group that said the said thing about working next day and whatever but hey its normal for many people to work weekends too so it really didn't matter and the majority won out once the new AD took over.

I just feel you will be negative towards any ACC team no matter who they are until GT gets off their asses and fires Paul J and for once does something in regards to a more than decent season.

I like one Thursday night game year from a power team. Why? Because it means on Thursday night I can watch a game and it is actually a team I want to see. If it is two crap teams, I do not watch. There are enough "good" top 50 teams to have a good matchup every Thu night.

Fora good example, A&M vs USCe. Bad example, Cal Poly at New Mexico State...

Schedule permitting, I would have loved to attended the Louisville FSU Thursday night at Louisville.

Still doesn't matter they were #14 when they were played and beaten on home turf..
Early-Midyear rankings are worthless, plain and simple. They are based on nothing more than conjecture and guesswork.

But if you want to hang your hat on calling a 9-4 team #14, then go right ahead. :rolleyes:

Early-Midyear rankings are worthless, plain and simple. They are based on nothing more than conjecture and guesswork.

But if you want to hang your hat on calling a 9-4 team #14, then go right ahead. :rolleyes:

I feel at the time Miami was a #14 team and it is no different than when Alabama was #1 for those weeks then drop, they were still #1 for those weeks during the games they played and Auburn beat the #1 team at that time. I will say that I agree with early rankings that the first 5 weeks of polls really shouldn't be there but they will always be there no matter what you do because that sells tickets, sells team items and sells ratings for those like ESPN to recover costs they put into the contracts to cover the conferences...love it or hate it, it is here to stay.

So, Michigan was really a #5 team when they lost to Appalachian St (and proceeded to lose 3 more), and not just highly over ranked?

Last edited:
So, Michigan was really a #5 team when they lost to Appalachian St (and proceeded to lose 3 more), and not just highly over ranked?

The good ole days when Big 10 played FCS schools!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Did I mention I will be owning a pair of these?

940x507q80.jpeg

940x1007q80.jpeg

For Smith

940x1096q80.jpeg

For Jimbo

940x1024q80.jpeg

Reactions: Jimbo

As I said opening season polls I don't agree with - give it a few games but there is nothing you or I can do about it they will always be there.

What? No love for Kentucky?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

NFL Wild Card Picks

The U...Part 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)