Need guidance for new FTA satellite install and roof antenna for local channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This copper rod idea, is it supposed to be in the same room as the TV or do you mean put it in the attic?

I just inserted the copper rod/wire in the antenna (coaxial) input in the back of the TV. You may adjust the length and orientation (up - down - sideways) to adjust reception.
If the signals are strong it works ok and you don't see it behind the TV. Just a quick and dirty antenna rigging for a temporary check.

RADAR

I would suggest something like this in the attic and use a standard splitter to run additional lines to each TV. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...tenna-(HD7010)&c=TV Antennas&sku=615798398132

The directional pick-up pattern will help provide a more reliable reception for VHF LOW, VHF HIGH and UHF channels with reduced multi-path problems. Much better solution than an antenna in each room that is more susceptible to interference as people walk around the house and cause reception issues.

If channels are lost when adding the non powered splitter, instead use an adjustable gain distribution amplifier.

The previously mentioned antenna is UHF + VHF Hi + VHF Lo. Great if you have Actual channels between 2 and 6 along with others.
If there are No Actual channels** between 2 and 6 - - -
If all Actual channels are only UHF.(14 and above) I would suggest a Channel Master 4220HD, or similar
If you have High VHF Hi & UHF, an Antennacraft HBU-22, or similar.
**VHF Lo = Actual RF channels 2 thru 6
VHF Hi = Actual RF channels 7 thru 13
UHF = Actual RF channels 14 and above.**
Actual RF channels may not be the Channel # you see on the TV.
www.tvfool.com lists your Actual channel, shown as REAL, and the Virtual Channel (the one seen on the TV)

Both models installed around here get UHF channels seperated by 80° with the furthest distance nearing 60 miles(with an amplifier- CM-7777)
With only ~10 miles I wouldn't use an amp. Overload is worse than a weak signal. Should have plenty of signal for 2 TV's, If not, the adjustable gain DISTRIBUTION amp set to the minimum required.

A short wire stuck in the antenna connector would probably work. But as you walk around in the room the signal is likely to come and go*. Reason to attic or roof mount.
*Does here with a channel that's about 16 miles away, and that's open country.
Hope that all made sense, and helps.

A short wire stuck in the antenna connector would probably work. But as you walk around in the room the signal is likely to come and go*.

Yep! This is entirely correct. But, you should try it out just to amuse yourself because if it works well, you will be somewhat impressed how simple it can be to pull in OTA digital channels.
Seriously? A piece of wire stuck in the back of my TV? No store bought $140 antenna that is 42" by 60" on my roof? No 100 feet of coaxial cable between? Just a doggone piece of WIRE? Just a wire poked in the antenna input? Nawh! Can't be so!

YEP!

RADAR

Would it be ok for me to ground my attic antenna/mast to a grounded conduit that is grounded to my service panel?

Would never recommend an omnidirectional antenna. I do not suggest that this is a good choice.

The biggest problem with reliable reception of terrestrial TV signals is multi path signals boucing off of other objects (buildings, walls, hillsides, etc.) arriving at your antenna at different times. This used to be the ghosts and shadows that you would see in the analog TV era.

In the digital age, these ghost multipath signals will often eliminate reception on even strong channels.

If you notice our previous suggestions, you will notice that it is very important to use a directional antenna. If the antenna is going to be mounted in the attic, it is important to shoot through the end eves and not through the roofing materials. Multipath signals become more of a problem when the antenna is brought down close to the roof or inside the structure.

Here's all you need for an antenna, will work perfectly on UHF and VHF-high, and can be mounted in an attic very easily: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...Antenna-(HD1080)&c=TV Antennas&sku=1579839876

Or here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DFTGQU/?tag=satell01-20
Check the reviews.

I have order from Solid Signal many times with no issues, but feel free to check around other places for prices. This antenna is directional, but not so much as to need a rotator if your stations are fairly close together as you have said.

What I suggest you do, is get a stub of antenna mast pipe, and mount it from roof rafter, to floor joist, then clamp the antenna in the middle of it. Leave it a hair loose, and aim the antenna so as to hopefully be as best you can get compromise for your channels. Do NOT amplify it, unless you are going to also use a splitter to go to multiple tv sets. In which case you probably should use an amplified splitter, especially if you go to a 4 way one. I'd try it without first though, and use good RG-6 cable, do not even bother with RG-59, it's a waste of money, even in a case such as this.

One of my channels 6 Abc is on VHF-L. Would this antenna pick it up at 8.5 miles away even though its not advertised as VHF-L?

The one you recommended is gigantic: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...n=GAN&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=k244266

I would like one that is smaller as I have plans to do other things in the attic. Do you know of any smaller antennas that would work?

As you indicated previously, one channel is transmitted on VHF Low, several on VHF high and UHF frequencies. I had recommended an antenna that is tuned to receive all VHF Low, VHF High and UHF channels.

Primestar31 has suggested a few units that will work great for channels transmitted on VHF High and UHF frequencies. A VHF Low channel may also be received if it is very strong.

It would be very helpful if you posted the TVFools report then we all could see exactly what channels you are trying to receive and the estimated signal levels. Calculate as an indoor antenna or with elevation setting at 10 feet.

I am looking for these channels: 3.1, 6.1, 10.1, 12.1, 17.1, 29.1, 57.1

Just to review I am looking for a small antenna to place in my attic which will have a quad shield coaxial cable going to my basement where there will be a splitter that takes it to the first floor to two different TVs. I will see how the signal is before purchasing a distribution amplifier. I would like the smallest antenna reasonably possible due to other projects going on in the attic that will require room.

Here is the TV-Fools Report:

Radar-All.png

I'm positive that the antenna recommended by primestar31 in post # 51 will work just fine. (HD-1080)
Virtual channels numbers are not important, it's the REAL channel that they are on that's important. You only have one in VHF Low(6), but its only 8 miles away.

Virtual 3.1 is actuallly on UHF 26
Virtual REAL Heading Distance
3.1 26 71 8.3
6.1 6 71 8.5
10.1 34 73 8.6
12.1 12 72 8.4
17.1 17 72 8.4
29.1 42 73 8.4
57.1 32 73 8.6

If Channel 6 performance is not 'up to it' just extend the VHF H elements a few inches.

Anything could work and you might be happy with the results.

This antenna has very minimal side lobe rejection and minimal gain. It is slightly better than an omnidirectional design, but it will not eliminate the multipath signals. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

A+++ for made in the USA!!!

Yes I try to get Made in USA as much as possible.

Thanks I will try the smaller one out and see if it works.

What are the dimensions on the one primestar31 recommending? I cannot find them anywhere but the box is 42" so I'm guessing its a little less wide than that. Would this smaller antenna also work?

http://www.winegard.com/freevision/

Here's the specs for that antenna I recommended: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD-1080.pdf

Maximum width: 34.5"
Vertical Height: 18.25"

The other one you posted looks good also, but it's more expensive than the one I posted. Either one should work, it's just a matter of getting one and trying it out for your situation. There's NO guarantees when it comes to receiving tv signals in any particular situation. There's engineering specs, real life, and some magic!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts