Need help with motorized FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dimmy007

Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
I am an av installer and a client had purchased a Fta satellite. It is a 30" with a sg2100 hh motor. He lives in new Berlin wi 53146. The big question I have is the motor mounts to the pull and the dish to the motor. I have gone to dishpointer.com and got what I think is all the info. So on the motor one side is latitude and the other side is elevation. What do I set that at for my location. Then what do I set the latitude on the dish that mounts to the pull. I tried everything even subtracting the declamation from the latitude but I get nothing. So if someone could tell me what I set everything at that would be great. Also I was aiming at echostar 3 with transponder 12297 just to see if I can get signal. Obviously with the motor we will get more but I was just trying to nail down one first. I also believe my azimuth south is 183 correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance.

On the motor set the one side to your latitude and don't worry about the other side. Set this as accurately as possible.

Plumb pole, Plumb pole, Plumb pole - - - even if it takes an hour make sure the Pole is Plumb all the way around.

What receiver? - - - - and are you doing USALS or DiSEqC 1.2

Also I would take your Longitude as your true south location - - - find the satellite closest to that Longitude and peak the dish on that satellite - - - that is your starting point. If the receiver does USALS set it to that and give it good Lat - Long. From here you may need to use DiSEqC 1.2 to get the most signal as you move out from your true south sat.

Search forum for motor USALS true south

I am using a diseqc 1.2 receiver. I really need help with what the latitude of the motor that mounts to the pole and the latitude of the dish that mounts to the motor. Thanks

Based on using Galaxy 28 (89W) as your true South Sat - - - - I get this for the dish settings.

Also got this from DishPointer but my Lat - Long might be off a bit.

Attachments

• DishPoint-89W.JPG
    DishPoint-89W.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 154
Ok so I was pointing at the wrong true south. Now as for the latitude settings what do I set the motor at and what do I set the dish that mounts to the motor at?

If you're using an off-brand or cloned H-H motor the metal mounting brackets may be soft or stamped incorrectly. I peak at east, west, and true south. It will take a while to get it right.

The tricky part is to get the elevation of the dish and the motor set up correctly. The article that Turbosat links to has this critical information in chapter 10, page 23. Some dishes, like the Winegard 36", may require alternative mounting since the bolt prevents the angle from going low enough. This can be solved by flipping the mount or by using a lower-profile bolt (or drill another one away from the spot).

One more trick I use is to split the LNBF cable before it goes to the DiSEqC switch and sent it to the motor alone, and put a terminator on the motor's input. This way the splitter will have a lot less signal loss than the splitter inside the motor, and less voltage/current loss as well so the motor will move the dish a little more quickly.

Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.