New customer question - Brick and mortar vs 800 number?

tbone1970

Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Lost in Alabama
Hi guys,

Newbie here.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to ordering my new Dish service from a local brick and mortar vs calling the 800 number?

Seems that the prices they gave me are the same. How can that be? How does the store stay in business?

Thanks for any replies!

Hi guys,

Newbie here.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to ordering my new Dish service from a local brick and mortar vs calling the 800 number?

Seems that the prices they gave me are the same. How can that be? How does the store stay in business?

Thanks for any replies!

Dish does not have a fleet of installers on the payroll like the cable companies. They will contact a local Dish installer that can do the job in the time frame they quoted to you. The installer is paid by dish what ever the rate is for the job. So if you go to the local electronics store more than likley it is a local business, your dollars stay in the community and chances are you will get better service because a local business can't afford to get bad mouthed and loose business.

Ross

That's a pretty funny outlook Ross. The truth is that if you call Dish (1-800-823-4929) and order you have a much better chance of having your order set up correctly and getting your price quotes correctly. They also won't quote you any installation fee for standard installation because there is none. If you go to a local retailer, they may do the install themselves instead of giving it up to Dish, which gets you inferior installation and parts. Believe me, I've had to reinstall every single retailer install I've ever been to because they are nowhere near meeting standards, and nobody wants to have their dish moved after it has been installed. So, in so many words, call Dish.

That's a pretty funny outlook Ross. The truth is that if you call Dish (1-800-823-4929) and order you have a much better chance of having your order set up correctly and getting your price quotes correctly. They also won't quote you any installation fee for standard installation because there is none. If you go to a local retailer, they may do the install themselves instead of giving it up to Dish, which gets you inferior installation and parts. Believe me, I've had to reinstall every single retailer install I've ever been to because they are nowhere near meeting standards, and nobody wants to have their dish moved after it has been installed. So, in so many words, call Dish.

And the opposite is true in our area. If you call Dish directly and if you happen to get somebody who can understand you and they luckily get your order entered right, they send a 'tech' from a sub contractor with little or no experience and couldn't care less about the kind of job they do. They usually won't have the equipment that was ordered and will put in anything they have, like a 211 instead of a DVR. The dish will probably be mounted into the roof but missing the studs, wires hanging all over the place, etc., etc. This is the kind of work that we see all the time when the customer calls Dish directly. Further, if you want to talk to the people that did your install you get to start with the call center in who knows where and go from there or you could call your local dealer, have a human neighbor answer the phone and speak in the same language that you do. And don't forget when you patronize your local businesses you're keeping the money in your area instead of supporting who knows who from who knows where.

Your best bet would be to check out the local retailers and if the have been there for a while and seem like they know what they're doing then go with them. At least you'll know who to call and who you're talking to if you have a question or a problem.

You never know what you are going to get. In some areas Dish has their own installers. In others they have the local retailers. If you go with a local retailer you could get their installer or they might have Dish's installers do it.

If you call Dishstore.net (sponsor above) they do not have a nationwide installer network. They use Dish's network of installers to install your equipment.

That all being said, every installer, no matter who they work for, has a different skill level, and some will be really good and others not so good (as with anything in life). If you have any problem you have to complain promptly to get it fixed during the free period. Retailers probably will tend to be more on top of it since it is their commission on the line if you are unhappy and disconnect.

That all being said, every installer, no matter who they work for, has a different skill level, and some will be really good and others not so good (as with anything in life). If you have any problem you have to complain promptly to get it fixed during the free period. Retailers probably will tend to be more on top of it since it is their commission on the line if you are unhappy and disconnect.

Truer words were never spoken. :)

Retailers only get commission on the sale and install, not on whether you keep the service. They aren't as experienced only because they don't specialize in dish installs. I didn't mean to completely put them down.

I guess I should have been specific in saying that if you get an internal tech from Dish, they will have access to the best equipment and hopefully knowledge, again depending on experience.

As for subcontractors, they don't rate any better than retailers because they have the equipment, but don't put enough time into it. On the other side, retailers will take the time but don't have the same quality equipment and installation standards as internal techs.

-------------------------------------------------------------
icon5.png
That is the biggest crock of sh*t i have seen on the site ! we have a dish company group [Linkus] near us, gigantic outfit. We are a Mom & Pop, They do terrible work, often no ground, can't find a location, dish sends us out to clean up their crap. We are at the top tier of service with dish. Most independents are good. We have everything in our vans ! dish comes out with the wrong receivers every once and awhile for a fact. At times dish will send us out with a work order that does not follow their own guide lines, then we have to call dish and get them to make it right. how does anybody have better equipment ? 922 is a 922, we have the best meters money can buy for installs.

Last edited:
Have to say that may MANY personal experiences here in the Los Angeles area that EVERY Dish company installer has been courteous, professional (wearing hard hats and good ladder), been very pleasant human beings, willing to please the customer, easy to chat with, done it right the first time, NEVER perplexed by complex multi-room/DVR/home distribution installs, VERY knowledgeable of system and latest info like found on this board, and have HAPPILY and EAGERLY CLEANED UP contractor MESS install.

I think it might depend upon what area one lives in. Here in LA all but ONE of the contractors I have ever dealt with were, disingenuous, misleading, LIARS, CHEATS, tried to force out MORE CASH in their pockets for what is included in install, and performed an INFERIOR install and Dish Co had to come out and fix. The latest contractor installed a 722K and kept the remotes for himself telling my aunt that her old 722 remotes work fine with the 722K as CAUGHT the tech keeping the new remotes in the box. Of course this meant she would not be able to use the System Wizard for back-up of settings, timers etc. She had to have Dish send her the proper remotes. And a contractor wanted to take my brother's DPP44 and mount a second dish and "give" him for free a 622 saying that the SD PQ (while having a HDTV, he does NOT subscribe to HD services) is much better with the 622, saying that Dish Co. had set up the initial call to make the appointment and this was an upgrade Dish Co had approved. Of course, my brother would have been charged additional fee because of this. Anyway my brother called Dish and confirmed they were never involved in this and after hearing the facts he was transferred to a different department where Dish apologized and took lots of detailed info because they wanted to "investigate" this.

Sorry, yosemitesam, but what vash1090 has posted is ABSOLUTELY TRUE and a NOT croc of [the crass word you used] in the LA area and in is most likely true in his area. I should add that this is true for DirecTV contractors, as well. And yes, Dish Co installers spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning up contractor installs. Maybe in Mayberry the contractors are nice and do good installs, but NOT here, and here has the HIGHEST penetration of satellite in the country.

Try to have an open mind for the fact that each of us share our impressions, views, opinions based on our personal experience and others are free to post that their experience is different and in the exchange of information, we can get a picture if this is regional problem or isolated to one area. So, what may be a croc of [the crass word you used] to you because you speak for yourself and YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE, vash1090 posted his view with the same validity as yours, but expressed it in far more mature, intelligent, and calm post. The best response from any of us is essentially, "Well, in my area," or "in my experience it is the opposite."

You folks have NO IDEA how bad it is here in the LA area with the Dish/Direct contractors, and, for that matter, a whole lot of other small businesses here for reasons that are far too long and controversial to get into on this forum. vash1090 speaks a truth for he and his area as you, yosemitesam, speak a DIFFERENT TRUTH for you and your area. One will rarely find an ultimate truth with something so varied as quality of installs. The point is on this board we can share our truths and learn from others rather than just stomping on someone using crass words that indicate a person's limited vocabulary who expresses something you don't like to hear. Next time try entering the crass word used in your post into a PC thesaurus, and you will seem more intelligent than others could ever imagine.

And BTW, we have always heard good things about Dishstore, so we now there are some good (I did ONE good contractor experience) contractors out there, just not many in Grater Los Angeles metro area.

Last edited:
Retailers only get commission on the sale and install, not on whether you keep the service. They aren't as experienced only because they don't specialize in dish installs. I didn't mean to completely put them down.

Im a Retailer and started as a DNS then sub now retail. Not sure about your state but in CA retailers will bend over for the customers yes they get payed for the sell and install but also if the customer keeps the service every month. If the customer drops the service in 24months dish takes back all money so the retail will make sure to make the customer happy.
Retailers do not stock refurbs like DNS . If you get a new install with retailer you get new gear. if retailer needs to replace box they replace with new .
Also if you are looking into getting 2 HD dvrs dish will charge you an upgrade fee but with many retailers if you contact them directly and let them know what you want and would like to get a second hd dvr they might do it for free in the from of a check to offset the charge dish will apply.

Another nice thing with retailer is you can ask about the tech on how long he has been doing it and request him in the future if you have problems.

Results may vary !

-------------------------------------------------------------
icon5.png
That is the biggest crock of sh*t i have seen on the site ! we have a dish company group [Linkus] near us, gigantic outfit. We are a Mom & Pop, They do terrible work, often no ground, can't find a location, dish sends us out to clean up their crap. We are at the top tier of service with dish. Most independents are good. We have everything in our vans ! dish comes out with the wrong receivers every once and awhile for a fact. At times dish will send us out with a work order that does not follow their own guide lines, then we have to call dish and get them to make it right. how does anybody have better equipment ? 922 is a 922, we have the best meters money can buy for installs.

Well it sounds like Dish doesn't have any internal techs covering that area, so you must be the big hotshot there. Being an FSS III in AZ and having been a FSS IV for the major contractor in KS, when I say I do a good install I mean it. You sound like you have at least 3 years of bitterness against other installation companies, I surehope you have at least that much experience to back it up. If you do good work, leave it at that, it still all depends on what area the cust is in.

Im a Retailer and started as a DNS then sub now retail. Not sure about your state but in CA retailers will bend over for the customers yes they get payed for the sell and install but also if the customer keeps the service every month. If the customer drops the service in 24months dish takes back all money so the retail will make sure to make the customer happy.
Retailers do not stock refurbs like DNS . If you get a new install with retailer you get new gear. if retailer needs to replace box they replace with new .
Also if you are looking into getting 2 HD dvrs dish will charge you an upgrade fee but with many retailers if you contact them directly and let them know what you want and would like to get a second hd dvr they might do it for free in the from of a check to offset the charge dish will apply.

Another nice thing with retailer is you can ask about the tech on how long he has been doing it and request him in the future if you have problems.

Results may vary !

Actually I didn't know most of this, that's good to know. I have just not had very good experiences with retailers installing up to DNS code (ie. Using crimp fittings, not hitting stud, mounting to stucco walls). The customers have always been very happy with the installer, it's just the extra work we go through to pass our QAS's that wears us down, guess I'll have to move retailers up above subs in my book then.

Jeez... Company men put the independant down.. Independants put the company men down.. As with every thing, you will get different levels of service from company or independants. Some are good and some are bad.. From both sides.. Having been a Independant for 25 years, I believe in the local people.. But we have some shady local guys too. I work hard to make sure my customer is the happiest Dish customer in the world, cause when someone ask him about his system, he is going to tell them to call me to get them fixed up.. All this crap about grounding and wiring and whatever else means absoulutely nothing to the customer when his system has a problem. He just wants someone he can trust to call.. And everyone will tell you that they hate talking to a computer.. I answer my own phone..

As a local retailer I have to strongly disagree with you. We have been selling and installing Dish since 1997 and have much more experience than any Dish Network Service Corp installer. I use much higher quality materials and installation techniques than are specified and warrant my work for free for the first year. DNSC doesn't do bad work, but it is not to our level. In most cases we do not have to charge any custom labor. And in those cas
es where we do, it is for work that DNSC would or did walk away from. ie: multi story high rises, custom wall fishes, difficult dish mounting locations etc.

Check out your local retailer. Those that are still in business durring these economic times are the ones that do quality work and service their customers well!

Last edited:

As a local retailer I have to strongly disagree with you. We have been selling and installing Dish since 1997 and have much more experience than any Dish Networ Service Corp installer. I use musch higher quality materials and installation techniques than are specedn an warrant my work for free for the first year. DNSC doesn't do bad work, but it is not to our level. In most cases we do not have to charge any custom labor. And in those cases where we do, it is for work that DNSC would or did walk away from. ie: multi story high rises, custom wall fishes, difficult dish mounting locations etc.

Check out your local retailer. Those that are still in business durring these economic times are the ones that do quality work and service their customers well!

As some people said I think it depends on the company. When we originally got DishNetwork setup about 4-5 years ago we purchased it through the 800 number and the installer was literally some elderly guy driving some 30 year old beat-up pick-up truck. He was VERY unprofessional, didn't seem to know much about the technical side of how the system worked (couldn't help us setup remote to TV or anything), and we had to call Dish twice after he left because the Dish kept loosing signal.

Then about two years later when we upgraded to HD and a VIP722 I did it through Dish once more but this time the sub was VERY professional. The had a van with Dish labeled on the side, wore a uniform, and the installer was great and very informative. They put stickers on the VIP722 and each remote with their number and website. We had zero problems... Then a few months ago after moving I called Dish to disable DishPause and these same people came out to install the Dish on our new house and get us going, and like before it was terrific service.

So I think it does depend on the subcontractor... some are great and some just aren't.

Ok, I see that I spoke too quickly and I apologize to all those installers that are out there doing quality work. All the rest of them still suck though, I'm just irritable about 9 out of 10 jobs following a sub, my notes have to start with "reinstalled dish and cabling". It could just be this southwest region, people get lazy in the heat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)