New Directv HR54 and H44 models

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For those without 4k TV,this sounds very interesting. You can place it behind your TV like the H25 receiver. If you don't want DVR capablity,you can use it to schedule recordings on your HR2x DVR's if you have them. If I got this,I could put it in my living room & move my H25 to another room,& then it could schedule recordings for my 2 HR24's,HR23,& HR22 DVR's. I just wonder if it only has a schedule up to only 1 week like the other HD receivers(if you don't hook up the HDD to make it a DVR),instead of up to 2 weeks for the DVR's.

I just wonder if it only has a schedule up to only 1 week like the other HD receivers(if you don't hook up the HDD to make it a DVR),instead of up to 2 weeks for the DVR's.

I didn't see this mentioned from anyone that is using one yet here or dbstalk, but I would expect it to remain like previous products, with the 7 day guide is on non-dvrs, and the 14 (really more like 12) is on DVRs. The larger guide is stored on a hard drive, and includes more info and more days, whereas the non-dvrs store the smaller guide in memory.

Something interesting from a tech bulletin discussing the H44 / C61k, pay careful attention to the last couple lines:

H44 Highlights:
· The H44 (Genie Lite) is a high-definition server with no internal hard drive intended to take the place of HD orders.
· It will have the same ability to stream to 3 clients simultaneously, but lack the DVR functionality of its big brother the HR44.
· The H44 will have the ability to connect a DirecTV encoded 1TB hard drive to enable all DVR functionality if a customer orders the drop-shipped item and adds the DVR service to their programming package.
· Like the HR44, the H44 will have a built-in WiFi DECA which will be used to authorize PPV and provide some of the TV apps functionality that you would get with any HD receiver.
· The H44 will also feature for the first time in DirecTV history a built in 21V power inserter.
· Beta trials and phased deployment expected later this year.

C61K Highlights:
· This is the new 4K capable client. It can be used on any HDCP 2.2 compliant 4K television.
· This client will eliminate
(the RVU tv) restriction and allow for the content to be delivered to any compliant 4K TV.
· Beta trials and phased deployment expected later this year.

DirecTV Everywhere Awareness Campaign Highlights:
· DirecTV Everywhere is expanding to include GenieGO capability in all HR44 and newer Genie servers! This new capability will enhance the DirecTV Everywhere experience!
· Enhancements are expected late this year into early next year and will include beta testing and phased deployments.

-----------

Pay careful attention to the second to last line - looks like the HR44 and up can do GenieGO functions - it is just needing software to enable it.
There was a little discussion on the possibility of GenieGo being built-in to the HR54 (maybe more of a wish than anything), looks like that may be entirely part of the plan (and HR44 too).

Reactions: satgirl51
I didn't see this mentioned from anyone that is using one yet here or dbstalk, but I would expect it to remain like previous products, with the 7 day guide is on non-dvrs, and the 14 (really more like 12) is on DVRs. The larger guide is stored on a hard drive, and includes more info and more days, whereas the non-dvrs store the smaller guide in memory.
You are correct

Reactions: jcrandall
· DirecTV Everywhere is expanding to include GenieGO capability in all HR44 and newer Genie servers! This new capability will enhance the DirecTV Everywhere experience!
· Enhancements are expected late this year into early next year and will include beta testing and
WOW! Awesome post! That would be a very nice and welcomed feature!

While all this is true... think ce and phased testing..... and rate codes... how long was mrv in ce for those of us that remember that... if we set it up ourselves... then what happened as soon as it went public. We might be looking at new rate codes for future customers.. but the rest of us only get it free for testing.

Reactions: jcrandall
While all this is true... think ce and phased testing..... and rate codes... how long was mrv in ce for those of us that remember that... if we set it up ourselves... then what happened as soon as it went public. We might be looking at new rate codes for future customers.. but the rest of us only get it free for testing.
GenieGo/Nomad is free to use already, not saying they won't charge for it in the future but hopefully not.

That's a good point - MRV was free in testing until it cost us $3/mo as a whole-home DVR fee.

GenieGo access shows as a free "complimentary" service once you've purchased a Genie Go, but if it is a non-purchase technology built into receivers - then it would make sense they could have a monthly charge for that capability, say $3 or $5 or something like that.

Now I'll say this - they better get the technology a whole lot more functional and timely if they want to charge monthly for it, the GenieGo is still today one of the klunkiest technologies DirecTV has - right up there with DirecTV2PC - something that was a good idea but just didn't flow smoothly.

I hope this is a sign that they are investing into this technology, that existing GenieGO owners will see improvement too (even if it means retiring their device if they have an HR44/up), and possibly even grandfather those customers into the "complimentary" monthly service.

On a separate note, it'd be really great if they wouldn't completely abandon OTA and shrink that AM21 into a AM44 sized 8x8 like the new H44, but sadly I doubt that will happen.

Technology at this point, they probably could shrink that AM21 down to the size of the new external hard drives, OTA tuners are pretty small now, and there isn't much to an AM21 beyond that and a power supply.

On a separate note, it'd be really great if they wouldn't completely abandon OTA and shrink that AM21 into a AM44 sized 8x8 like the new H44, but sadly I doubt that will happen.

Technology at this point, they probably could shrink that AM21 down to the size of the new external hard drives, OTA tuners are pretty small now, and there isn't much to an AM21 beyond that and a power supply.
They COULD, put an OTA tuner back in the recvrs ... but I doubt that ever happens.

is this to say that you won't need a GenieGo if you have an HR44?

Something interesting from a tech bulletin discussing the H44 / C61k, pay careful attention to the last couple lines:

· Enhancements are expected late this year into early next year and will include beta testing and phased deployments.

-----------

Pay careful attention to the second to last line - looks like the HR44 and up can do GenieGO functions - it is just needing software to enable it.
There was a little discussion on the possibility of GenieGo being built-in to the HR54 (maybe more of a wish than anything), looks like that may be entirely part of the plan (and HR44 too).

WOW! Awesome post! That would be a very nice and welcomed feature!

is this to say that you won't need a GenieGo if you have an HR44?
Eventually yes, it will be built in the HR44 and newer DVR's. Again this a just speculation right now but jcrandell's info is usually right on.

Now if they could just make Genie Go do live outside the house... although if DIRECTV keeps adding more and more live channels to its apps it might not be needed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts