New DishNET Plans Launching

I would call TWC and ask them about the data caps. They had them in the paperwork when I subbed to them back in '08, they just have never been enforced. The Cox here in PHX had a 400-500(not sure how much it is exactly), limit, but do not enforce it, unless you either exceed it greatly(TB of usuage, or every single month going over), so most people still think they do not have a limit. I only found out about it, when someone had mentioned it in my old office, and I called Cox and asked them directly about it. That's when it was disclosed to me. They still tryed to dance around it until I made them answer yes or no, then explain.

There is huge difference for a family of, say, 3 computers, 4 phones, a tablet or two on a restricted 5 to 20 gig cap and a cable cap of, theoretically 250 to 500 gigs. A cap that high, even at the low end of 200, is for all practical purposes, non-existent for what? 95% of users? Anyone here in the estimated 2 to 5 %? I am genuinely curious about what a person could download to use 500 gigs of data every month. And I am not saying it is wrong, just that they maybe should be paying more than $63/mo. for, say, a 50 mb service.

Go to cox website. I beleive charter is starting it. TWC is doing it. Whether or not they enforce it yet, is a different story, but they are putting caps on usuage.

Actually from what I read over at DSL Reports, Charter has gotten rid of caps. TWC had them a while ago, but quickly got rid of them too. TWC currently has some crap plans with low caps, but they are strictly voluntary plans that hardly anyone has. Comcast does have caps, but they aren't enforced in many markets at all and vary by market (300gb minimum). ATT dsl has a 150gb cap that is enforced and U-Verse has 250gb caps, but U-Verse caps aren't enforced. There are probably some local dsl providers that have caps, but this is about all I can think of right now.

Reactions: TheKrell
Most won't be enforced for a hardline internet provider. There is just limited reason to cap them. They are not subject to regulated bandwidth like the satellite internet. But someday, they will all be capped, for profits purposes. That's is inevitable. It's either that or the traditional pay TV model may end up dying out. So it will be interesting to see where it goes.

I used a couple of the big names. There are a lot of companies doing this now.

Earlier, you said "most" companies. Now, you're saying "a lot" of companies. I ask again, do you have a link to documentation or are you just guessing?

how about I clarify. The larger percent of hardliners broadband consumers are affected. And no not guessing, and no, I will not spend the time looking for the multiple links that talked about it. I gave you three names, that cover a very large percentage of hardline broadband customers. You are welcome to investigate all three though. Or you can take it as me talking out of my backside. I personally don't care. Doesn't change that it is true, or false, without your own eyes seeing it.

how about I clarify. The larger percent of hardliners broadband consumers are affected. And no not guessing, and no, I will not spend the time looking for the multiple links that talked about it. I gave you three names, that cover a very large percentage of hardline broadband customers. You are welcome to investigate all three though. Or you can take it as me talking out of my backside. I personally don't care. Doesn't change that it is true, or false, without your own eyes seeing it.

No need to get your knickers in a knot. I thought maybe you had seen a study somewhere. You named three cable companies out of 53. That's hardly "most" or "a lot".

No knicker knotting but yes I have read it somewhere. It has been atleast 6 months, most my computing is on my phone. That's why I don't want to find the article again. But it is something that should be fairly simply researched. I used it for an assignment in a computer class over summer.

I pay 51.00 for 15/1 plan from Time Warner. We are in an area previously serviced by Adelphia before TWC bought them out. Old, outdated equipment, poor service, lousy customer service and no choice. There is DSL service but the speeds are terrible. Most rural people outside of TWC service area use wireless internet from Metalink, a local company. Metalink is pricy but, outside of dial-up or satellite, they have no other options.

TWC has no incentive to upgrade anything. If the merger goes through, our area, rural NW Ohio, will be given to Charter. Don't know what kind of company they will be, but I doubt they can be any worse than TWC.

I suspect that providers may have put caps on data in the past as part of the contract, to prevent commercial abuse of a residential account. Having it in the terms of service agreement gives them a means to act on abuse. I agree with Chad that in the future those caps may be tied to a price point for more profitability. The entire intertwined internet/television/telephone industry is in rapid change. Those able to foresee the future stand to make a great deal of money.

It's either raise internet prices to attempt to make back profits, or cap internet to force traditional internet. I'm not saying tomorrow, and maybe not even within 5 years, but one day.

Suddenlink will send you a letter and make you pay more or drop their service if you go over their data cap. I have had two people tell me that has happened to them.

While customer service leaves something to be desired, Charter internet is great here,60mb down 4mb up, non promo rate is $55 per month . It's very reliable and consistent.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)