New HD on DishNetwork? "Soon" might be right around the corner...

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 28, 2003
Since SeaLaunch launches from the equator D11 should get to it's initial testing position faster then AMC14 which will take longer for it's transfer orbit.

It does seem though that DirecTV Ka band satellites take longer to test and since D-11 is a spotbeam satellite, I think there is no doubt it will take longer to test than AMC-14.

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
It does seem though that DirecTV Ka band satellites take longer to test and since D-11 is a spotbeam satellite, I think there is no doubt it will take longer to test than AMC-14.

Spaceway1 had a problem where they almost lost control of it, LonghornXP made some posts about it.

Spaceway2 was given to Hughes to do some testing of the internet capability before it was turned over to D*, that was part of the deal that Hughes and DirecTV had when it was retasked.

DirecTV10 had problems with their spotbeams which cased it to be late.

So yep, all three took longer then 'normal' but hopefully they'll not run into any problems with D11.

ksbuie

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 23, 2007
These channels are great, especially MojoHD, but seeing Ferraris in HD would be magnificent!

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I believe DirecTV has it, however NO HD has been shown on this channel, it just all upconverts.

Many of the HD channels on DirecTV have never shown ANY TURE HD content, these channels are just placeholders for when the channel goes HD in the future.

While I would love these channels in HD, I would like to have some actual HD content on them.

surfsup

Feb 4, 2008
i just got off the phone with dish. they tell me that they are adding hd all the time. when the do the system update that is when they are adding the new channels.

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
i just got off the phone with dish. they tell me that they are adding hd all the time. when the do the system update that is when they are adding the new channels.

They arent being honest... i believe the last HD channel added was TBS.. and it's not really Hd. It was added during the MLB playoffs in October.
It wasnt even a planned.. they kinda had to do it due to ..."issues". And before that it was at least a few months. It's not "all the time".

adamwilkes20

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 6, 2008
that is exactly what they told me when I signed up for HD, that was on Dec 16th, and I havent seen anything new on my guide except for the RSN's that were added this morning since then. From what I was told your reciever is set to shutdown and download updates at the time set in your settings, after that happens, any programming that is newly available will be added to your guide

Doppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2006
Each to his own. I'll watch Smithsonian, USA, Sci-Fi, and MGM. So if you don't like them it is wasted but those of us that will watch it's very much well used bandwidth.

Oh sure, USA and Sci-Fi are great, but that's not the big news and not what I'm talking about. Ok so those other two are decent, but Tennis Channel?? Mojo?? ****ing Fishing in HD!?!? There are a lot of better channels Dish could give us before these... I really hope there are more to come and we don't have to wait til the bird is up for others.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Doppy your not catching the big picture. Dish NEEDS to add some exclusive HD channels to its $20 HD package or else everyone is going to downgrade to the $10 HD package.

The VOOM channels are no longer "glue" and HD fans could honestly do without Voom now and save $10 a month.

Adding USA or Scifi in HD does nothing for Dish in keeping the customer a $20 a month HD customer.

Follow the money trail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts