New Member. Considering Direct TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The reason I said the best buy deal was better is because 150 gift card PLUS $5/12 = 60 which equals 210 savings 5 bucks off your bill and the 150 gift card .... There is a way to get WHDVR for 10 a month you will have no HD channels though all channels will be SD quality. not a genie either its the older HDDVR HR24 that does 2 shows at the same time.. If I order you system based on your location I would order a DVR and X standard boxes but your area is a forced HD market. That means if a cx orders standard equipment they actually get HD equipment. So all your boxes are HD boxes. HDDVR and HD ...that would save you 5 more dollars than the 25 ARS fee (15 with ABP)

rlinman,
How does that forced HD market idea work? If a cx just wants SD programming....does not want to pay the HD fee....are the HD channels available if SD as if being fed into a SD TV? Any idea why DirecTv even cares?
I have not kept up. How many channels are available only in HD these days?

Thanks,

Joe

The reason I said the best buy deal was better is because 150 gift card PLUS $5/12 = 60 which equals 210 savings 5 bucks off your bill and the 150 gift card .... There is a way to get WHDVR for 10 a month you will have no HD channels though all channels will be SD quality. not a genie either its the older HDDVR HR24 that does 2 shows at the same time.. If I order you system based on your location I would order a DVR and X standard boxes but your area is a forced HD market. That means if a cx orders standard equipment they actually get HD equipment. So all your boxes are HD boxes. HDDVR and HD ...that would save you 5 more dollars than the 25 ARS fee (15 with ABP)

MRV will not work. You're required to have HD access on the account

Are you absolutely sure about that?

If you sign up using the DIRECTV sign-up application with a Plus HD DVR, you'll be assessed the Advanced Receiver Fee of $25. There are promotional credits if you qualify, but you can't choose not to get WHDS even if you have just the lone HD DVR. The situation for long-term subscribers is decidedly different, but we're talking about a new add.

WHDS is not an automatic service. I've seen several customers refuse to pay $3 a month for it so they stick with the HDDVR and 3HD's as standalones. Genies don't require WHDS either for the clients to operate

I just switched from Comcast. I was on a promotional package and it finally expired. Comcast would not work with me at all in getting me to stay. I really didn't want to leave since I had able, phone and 50 Mbps Internet. They would not budge even after I called five times, figuring I'd play the customer service roulette. I'm not a Costco member, but heard of the promotion. I used the link provided on Costco website and was fedex'ed the card overnight. Did not need a membership,card to use it, even though I borrowed a relatives in case.

Directv picture quality is night and day difference over Comcast. I wouldn't have believed anybody because everybody says their TV provider has the best HD, but Directv does really amaze me. The prices are comparable, since I have to get my Internet through Comcast, but I was told by a customer rep that whenever my Internet promo price expires, just change either up a level for a few bucks more or down a level and get whatever promo if being offered. As long as I change the speed, I'm eligible for whatever promo is offered at the time. I did buy my own cable modem and router too.

My plan is, if Directv won't give me additional credits after my two year commitment is up, I'll switch to Dish for two years and just go back and forth every two years. I'm also betting I'll start getting offers to switch and have my early termination fees covered if I choose, but I am happy with Directv.

I don't know where you are in FtL, but my Mom lives in Oakland Park. Her hd quality is nearly as good as Directv, very comparable.

The MRV ability is automatic on HDDVR to HD receivers it is a small loop hole.. I set my parents up like this because to populations 45+ years of age, from my experience, don't even care about HD. So I ordered their DTV with SD DVR and a SD receiver, got HDDVR (HR24) and an H25. The HD channels come in SD and you cant get the HD pack but everything else works. You can get the HD pack but it would activate HD on the tvs

The MRV ability is automatic on HDDVR to HD receivers it is a small loop hole.. I set my parents up like this because to populations 45+ years of age, from my experience, don't even care about HD. So I ordered their DTV with SD DVR and a SD receiver, got HDDVR (HR24) and an H25. The HD channels come in SD and you cant get the HD pack but everything else works. You can get the HD pack but it would activate HD on the tvs

I don't know,I'm 54 & I like to watch HD TV.

MRV is not automatic. If you you don't pay the $3 (at least), you don't get it. It was free years ago when it was still in the testing phase, but not anymore. If you are still getting it for free, you've fallen through the cracks somehow.

My parents say they care about HD, but honestly, they can't tell any difference. So while I disagree with the 45+ part since I'm in that group and refuse to watch SD on cable or satellite (I'll still watch DVDs), I do agree it's not a huge requirement for older folks with failing eyesight. Having said that, I still wouldn't wish DirecTV's sorry excuse for SD on anyone. Unless you're legally blind, it's unwatchable.

I don't know where you are in FtL, but my Mom lives in Oakland Park. Her hd quality is nearly as good as Directv, very comparable.

I live 20 minutes from your parents Chip. Comcast down here in South Florida is on par with
Direc tv.

Wondering if New Member looked into dish as well as direc?
I have both so I'm really biased towards neither.

Except I do feel dish has the better equipment.

Hopefully when choosing they get the channels they want.
If Id have to go for one it would be a tough call.
Sports most definitely direct. Overall channels,
dish.

Flip a coin.

Honorable mention, Uverse.
HD right up their with the big boys.
Tons of HD channels-No rain fade.
You get the 200 dollar gift card for sign up.

I live 20 minutes from your parents Chip. Comcast down here in South Florida is on par with
Direc tv.

Back in the early 80s she lived in the Bel Air section of Pompano. It wasn't considered so exclusive then, just a nice quiet area. Now the streets have names like Coco Palm Place instead of SE 16th St!

Back in the early 80s she lived in the Bel Air section of Pompano. It wasn't considered so exclusive then, just a nice quiet area. Now the streets have names like Coco Palm Place instead of SE 16th St!

I know it well! I use to play tennis there every sunday.
Very nice place. I live 10 minutes from there in Coral Springs.

Now for discounts you get 10 off 2 years with auto bill pay and the natl rebate is 31 off for 1st year and 10 off second and third year. Then you if you sign up in a retail store you can get the retail specific discount the current best retail specific is Best Buy 150 gift card plus 5 adtl off your first year. I should know because I am the manager of the retail specific offers with directv. Adding all the discount and savings your monthly bill would be as follows

1st year = 56
2nd year = 77

Could I get the same $56/mo 1st year, $77/mo 2nd year but with $200 cash card thru Costco? If so, that'd be a bit better than the Best Buy retail promo you mentioned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.