new old customer

Your trouble would come in when you the address and billing history, living history is taken into account. Both Dish and DTV are cutting back on people trying to use the system that way, and DTV is heading that one. They will pass up a customer if it is even close that someone is trying to play them. Going elsewhere, you're gonna end up getting the same result, not being a new customer, and the competition is already more expensive in an everyday rate. So, out of spite, you would be doing a disadvantage after the first year.

Directv is pretty good about it. At least if the customer gets installed before Directv catches it you are good to go.

Dish on the other hand will let you go out and install the customer and come back 2 months later trying to say it's an existing customer and charge you back.

Today, we don't see that much Huspsnd wife flipping. People just switch to another provider

Sure, but take care of the equipment and it lasts beyond 2 years. Or, if you buy it used or on sale, you pay way less than the 2 year plan you have. Gs6 can be had new for 450 is I think is the lowest I've seen, go to Verizon and it's still 700.

My ps3 should be 100% free, or maybe 1$. I own it. It is mine, it is annoying that it should cost me 7$ a month when it is one less piece of hardware dish shells out. They should promote that sort of thing. In my head it makes a lot of sense.

Sure, but take care of the equipment and it lasts beyond 2 years. Or, if you buy it used or on sale, you pay way less than the 2 year plan you have. Gs6 can be had new for 450 is I think is the lowest I've seen, go to Verizon and it's still 700.

My ps3 should be 100% free, or maybe 1$. I own it. It is mine, it is annoying that it should cost me 7$ a month when it is one less piece of hardware dish shells out. They should promote that sort of thing. In my head it makes a lot of sense.
On that logic, if you own your dish equipment, it should be free as well, however there is no monthly leased fee. It is an active outlet fee, and the VJ is still an additional outlet.

Reactions: Troch77
I don't expect new customer pricing after my first year but when my 2 year commitment is up, I'll be asking. If it came down to it I'd leave for 60 days and come back to get the new customer pricing . Dish has been good to me so I'm sure some deal would be offered if I asked.

On that logic, if you own your dish equipment, it should be free as well, however there is no monthly leased fee. It is an active outlet fee, and the VJ is still an additional outlet.
Agree you're paying a monthly fee for the service , not the equipment.
Most satellite equipment is useless without the service.
Quite frankly Dish and Directv are fantastic when it comes to discounts.

My cable company sucks at giving existing customer discount.
You are only aloud 1 promo in a 12 month period, and usually it's only One $13 per month premium pack for $8 or $10 for 6 months.
And you never are aloud a discount on one you currently have ,unless 180 days passes since the date you drop it.

Dish in the 2 months I've had them already gave me Starz, for $7 and Multisports pack for $6.50 for 6 months.

With dish or others, this option does not exist. If I use my ps3 as a joey it should be free or at least discounted compared to a provided box. Further, there is no option to ever own the equipment from dish. I pay 7$ on a 211(or whatever the basic HD box is) over and over and over. You can't tell me the box is 336$(4 year rental) and if it is, at some point I should be able to own it and have it for free, lowering the bill of a loyal customer. But instead I can pay monthly for 100 years and won't ever catch a break. Not to mention I pay the 8$ monthly protection plan, just to avoid paying some 100$+ in the event my "rental" equipment gives out. From experience, time Warner will replace boxes over and over for free... There's just never a break with dish for those loyal.

I love my dish, I just wish there was a way to save a little after all this time. They are not doing me any favors, especially if I need to always pay, pay, pay

No, no and no. You pay NO lease fees with DISH. None, nada. You CAN own your own receiver but if saving money is the reason it makes no difference. Why, because there is NO lease fee. There is an outlet fee after the first receiver, may be partly or wholly a fee charged by the programmers for being able to watch at multiple locations in the home. Whatever the case it has no attachment to the device, it's per outlet.
If you are paying an $8 protection plan then you are not paying attention to the many many posts that tell you not to do that. DISH allows you to add the protection and then immediately use it to get something fixed. There are plenty of "breaks with dish for those loyal" but you can't sit back and get them you need to be proactive. Want a discount on a package? Ask, you may receive it.

Reactions: ChadT41
Sure your price drops once you pay your phone off, You aren't paying on your phone anymore.
Your package price structure is still the same.

No. With at&t anyway the actual access cost per Smartphone comes down if you bring your own, so the structure does actually go down.
"Up to $25 savings: Compares the Mobile Share Value® plan discounted access charge for a smartphone line on a No Annual Service Contract option (AT&T NextSM, bring your own, pay full price, or month-to-month) to one on a 2-year contract. Savings will be $15 or $25 per smartphone line based on your plan. Customers with smartphones on 2-year contracts that started in or prior to March 2014, may also be eligible for these savings. Loss of Discount with 2-Year Upgrade: If upgrading to a smartphone on a 2-year wireless contract, you will lose the discount for that line"

I gave you the prices and the break downs.
It $40 per month for addtional lines under contract.
Vs $15 with the next plan.
If you would have read my breakdown you would have figured that out.

So No you are incorrect
The Base packs of the family share packs are Set pricing, whether you bring your own phone, do a Next upgrade, or Sign a contract.

I know what you are trying to say, that after 24 month the Next customer would still be paying $15 per line, where as the One under contract would be still paying $40 per line even after his commitment is fulfilled.
But once you own your Phone ATT after your commitment they will do a restructuring of your bill, and your unlocked phone will fall into the $15 per month pricing.
But you Must make that call.

I've done this already. Twice
By the way my Bill is well over that $195
$233 per month including taxes insurance on 1 phone, and my 22% walmart distribution center employee discount .
It was $250 per month for the past 18 months.
6 months to go. And 4 wore out cell phones.

Just to do it all over again.
As I said I might as well just signed a new commitment and I would have 4 Brand New Galaxy S6 six months ago.

I can save $75 dollars per month off my Bill sure, If I go out and Pay $2000 for 4 Unlocked phones.

Last edited:
Sure it does,
Some want price and equipment ownership options with Dish , in the same regards as the cell phone providers.
And simple put, not that great of a deal in the end.

Though fading away for Cell providers, both they and Satellite do have two year contracts and that is how the discussion got started. So I agree certainly fair to compare, a difference however there is no equipment to give back to the Cell provider. You pay for it one way or the other and keep it. With Att your package price actually goes down if you don't have them subsidize the equipment. With DISH (and others) there is no difference if you use their equipment for no additional charge or not the package/fees remain the same. You can own DISH equipment always have been able to, but if people keep confusing leasing fees with programming fees they won't understand why having your own equipment makes no difference in the cost, but does allow you to not have a contract, and to turn on or off your service anytime you want to without returning equipment each time.

Reactions: Troch77
I know I always associated the fee as a lease, so now I know.

As for insurance, I thought you couldn't just add it and get service, but if that's true, I'll be dropping 30$ from my bill.

As for phone stuff, att is different from Verizon and I didn't know. If you own the phone at Verizon it is much cheaper.

As for your statement about 2000 for 4 phones, that's way cheaper than 2800 if you buy from att and lease, etc. But that's a conversation I am done with. I saw the fee as a lease fee not access fee so that is my stupid.

I just wish it was more beneficial to sign a contract, that's where my issue is. I guess I will start with dropping protection since I can add it and replace equipment. Next I'll drop 250 to 200 and then the movie pack. Hope the kids don't miss teenage mutant ninja turtles when I drop nicktoons (178).

Then investigate an offer, maybe hopper, then worry about Netflix if they don't give it to me, add it myself, does non dish Netflix still work on hopper?

Reactions: Tampa8
What is non dish Netflix? Netflix is Netflix, no matter who pays for it. Dish just gives a year credit for the 12 free months.

I know I always associated the fee as a lease, so now I know.

As for insurance, I thought you couldn't just add it and get service, but if that's true, I'll be dropping 30$ from my bill.

As for phone stuff, att is different from Verizon and I didn't know. If you own the phone at Verizon it is much cheaper.

As for your statement about 2000 for 4 phones, that's way cheaper than 2800 if you buy from att and lease, etc. But that's a conversation I am done with. ?
The point was you are still paying for it in the end.

What is non dish Netflix? Netflix is Netflix, no matter who pays for it. Dish just gives a year credit for the 12 free months.
I wasn't sure if you can add personal accounts to it, so I called it non dish vs going through dish

Though fading away for Cell providers, both they and Satellite do have two year contracts and that is how the discussion got started. So I agree certainly fair to compare, a difference however there is no equipment to give back to the Cell provider. You pay for it one way or the other and keep it. With Att your package price actually goes down if you don't have them subsidize the equipment. With DISH (and others) there is no difference if you use their equipment for no additional charge or not the package/fees remain the same. You can own DISH equipment always have been able to, but if people keep confusing leasing fees with programming fees they won't understand why having your own equipment makes no difference in the cost, but does allow you to not have a contract, and to turn on or off your service anytime you want to without returning equipment each time.

What Dish and Directv don't realize is that people would actually buy their own equipment if there where no additional receiver or lease fees.

If your going to pay the fee anyways, might as well get it for free and lease it forever or until your done with it.

What about people that can get a free purchased receiver? Dish had a promotion awhile back where certain customers qualified for a 625 for free as an owned receiver. Caveat was after a year, if anything happened with that receiver and no ProPlan, it cost $90+ to replace. When that was explained to customers, the leasing sounded so much better, and they were suddenly ok with a $15 shipping charge, with free equipment replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts