new old customer

What Dish and Directv don't realize is that people would actually buy their own equipment if there where no additional receiver or lease fees.

If your going to pay the fee anyways, might as well get it for free and lease it forever or until your done with it.

There is no lease fee.
Since providers charge additional outlet fees it's at least possible and even probable it's at least partly because they get charged by the programmers. It also costs money to develop and build receivers and as importantly the software. So why do people think they should get use of that software for free or any online access? If fee free subscriptions are wanted DISH could simply raise over-all package pricing and in the process screw those who are using minimal equipment and maybe lower packages to save money instead of subsidizing those who are willing to spend more for new receivers and more outlets.
If you (specifically you Claude) want to decry fees how about starting with Direct TV who has fees totaling some $15+ or so more than I pay with DISH for two rooms, similar equipment and similar package.

Reactions: ChadT41
I wish Dish and direct gave the option of either a regular 2 year contract or similar to what The cell carriers do with their installment plans. Where there is no DVR fee, whole home fee etc. there would be just the installment plan cost that goes towards the equipment. Once it's paid off then the bill would be less the cost of the installment payment.

New equipment isn't coming out every 2 years anyways.

With dish or others, this option does not exist. If I use my ps3 as a joey it should be free or at least discounted compared to a provided box. Further, there is no option to ever own the equipment from dish. I pay 7$ on a 211(or whatever the basic HD box is) over and over and over. You can't tell me the box is 336$(4 year rental) and if it is, at some point I should be able to own it and have it for free, lowering the bill of a loyal customer. But instead I can pay monthly for 100 years and won't ever catch a break. Not to mention I pay the 8$ monthly protection plan, just to avoid paying some 100$+ in the event my "rental" equipment gives out. From experience, time Warner will replace boxes over and over for free... There's just never a break with dish for those loyal.
It's been explained many times here...the fees on equipment is more like an "outlet fee", regardless of owned or leased equipment. Now as far as the protection plan goes, you should drop that immediately and only invoke it when needed, drop it when completed, and pay the ($25? $30?) cancellation fee.

I wish Dish and direct gave the option of either a regular 2 year contract or similar to what The cell carriers do with their installment plans. Where there is no DVR fee, whole home fee etc. there would be just the installment plan cost that goes towards the equipment. Once it's paid off then the bill would be less the cost of the installment payment.
Again, Dish and Direct's "equipment fees" are not lease fees insomuch as a programming access fee per outlet.

Now as far as the protection plan goes, you should drop that immediately and only invoke it when needed, drop it when completed, and pay the ($25? $30?) cancellation fee.
Or leave it on the account for "x" months and drop it with no penalty - the cost ends up the same in the end. Plus, if you lose a remote or one quits working, I believe Dish replaces them for "free" if you have the plan or if the system (LNB, a switch, a node, etc) acts up in the meantime, by chance, it covers the service call.

As soon as the req'd time is up though, I agree, drop the protection plan.

OK, thanks for all the feedback. The protection plan detail being the most useful, I didn't know I could just add it when needed. Now I do. I also learned that I am paying outlet fees and not rental, so I come to accept it.

As for the end result, dropped to 200, dropped movie pack and dropped protection.

Called dish, added hopper and 2 joeys. Lady said install was 95$ without protection, told her I just dropped it. She waived the fee. I then asked about discounts and she added 5$ off hopper for 12 months and when I asked for netflix , she gave me another 5$ off. In the end, not free, but better than zero. I accepted all of her offers and am satisfied with the end result. At least with my discounts for the next 12 months. Only catch was the need to do a 2 year contract, but I currently have no plans to go anywhere so fine.

I'm just glad I got a chance to vent a bit and in the end I learned some things and managed to still save a few dollars.

Reactions: dare2be
Or leave it on the account for "x" months and drop it with no penalty - the cost ends up the same in the end.
Yeah, but if you forget to drop it a few months down the road, you'll end up paying more. :)

If you need it for a week, you'll pay the prorated partial month cost plus the cancellation fee and be done with it.

They changed the specifics of the protection plan. I'm pretty sure it's not pro-rated anymore (was it ever ?). I just see that the price of the plan is $8 now ???

If my math / method is correct, you have to keep it for (120) days or (4) months, so that's $32 in PP payments. If it's not pro-rated and you cancel in the first month, it's $8 + the $30 cancellation fee. See, it's cheaper to keep it. :p

As for forgetting to cancel it and paying more, I set a reminder ;)

They changed the specifics of the protection plan. I'm pretty sure it's not pro-rated anymore (was it ever ?). I just see that the price of the plan is $8 now ???

If my math / method is correct, you have to keep it for (120) days or (4) months, so that's $32 in PP payments. If it's not pro-rated and you cancel in the first month, it's $8 + the $30 cancellation fee. See, it's cheaper to keep it. :p

As for forgetting to cancel it and paying more, I set a reminder ;)
They have always prorated it from the time added to complete the current billing month+ the next month. I thought t went from 4 months, back to 5 or 6?!? I have no idea what the cancellation fee is anymore. Used to be $25, heard that changed sometime back.

If it's pro-rated, Dish probably changed it so it makes almost no difference if you keep it for four months or add it, use it, and cancel it quickly.

I confirmed that you have to keep it (120) days currently.

I could keep occupied for 60 days with ota and roku easily.
That depends on your OTA and broadband situations. Some have none of one and only a little of the other. Others have neither (DSL, wireless and satellite Internet aren't much better than no Internet when it comes to streaming).

Reactions: stardust3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)