New Setup - Cband - Quality Jumps - Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, no adjustments on dish today.. Its quite windy outside today. Oh well....

Special Statement

Statement as of 9:36 AM EDT on October 25, 2014

...Gusty west to northwest winds through this afternoon...

Expect west to northwest winds to gust as high as 40 to perhaps 45 mph through this afternoon. The strongest winds are most likely over the higher terrain on the west side of the Keweenaw peninsula.

What are your LNB settings? Lo should be 5150, 22K off. If you have any switches, what type of switch? When you tried the 6' cable outside was it just straight to the C band dish, [no switches or anything in between]?

This one is reaching far out in left field, but I have had it happen myself, so...try unplugging your dish mover so the motor has no power to it and see if the Q stops jumping. Do you have anything really close by the dish with electric a motor running, like a pool pump or something?

The LO is 5150. There is no switch. 6foot RG6 from LNB straight to portable receiver. Its interference or something with the antenna or the focal. I was going to putz on it today, but its too windy. The motor is NOT hooked up. It is aligned at top of arc at the moment.

The LO is 5150. There is no switch. 6foot RG6 from LNB straight to portable receiver. Its interference or something with the antenna or the focal. I was going to putz on it today, but its too windy. The motor is NOT hooked up. It is aligned at top of arc at the moment.

Boy, what a tough one. Maybe post up some pictures of the dish if you can, maybe someone will spot something with the angles or something like that.

What is the direction of that airport near you? If it's on a heading of say 83W, maybe try aiming for something way over on the other side of the arc, like 125W and see if it goes away. Hope it's not some sort of interference from the airport, that would really stink.

You didn't buy your cables from Radio Shack by any chance, did you? I bought cables there years ago and they were junk right out of the package.

Did you set the elevation angle for peak Signal Quality reading or only setting the elevation and the declination as calculated? Back to my second post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3548208/

1. Elevation setting is incorrect (Push down or lift up on the bottom lip of the dish)
2. Skew setting is incorrect (Slight rotation clockwise/counterclockwise)
3. FD setting is incorrect (Slide the feedhorn towards or away from the reflector)

Have you done these with a receiver at the dishg watching real-time results as the changes are made to peak? I know you said the Signal Level climbed. but that really doesnt make much sense with two of your receivers. The Signal Level would not increase, but the Signal Quality would.

Did you set the elevation angle for peak Signal Quality reading or only setting the elevation and the declination as calculated? Back to my second post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3548208/

1. Elevation setting is incorrect (Push down or lift up on the bottom lip of the dish)
2. Skew setting is incorrect (Slight rotation clockwise/counterclockwise)
3. FD setting is incorrect (Slide the feedhorn towards or away from the reflector)

Have you done these with a receiver at the dishg watching real-time results as the changes are made to peak? I know you said the Signal Level climbed. but that really doesnt make much sense with two of your receivers. The Signal Level would not increase, but the Signal Quality would.

I have tried all this, and i meant the quality was increasing. I am going to make another attempt at all this. Hopefully Sunday won't be sooo windy. Do i assume the arm that shoots out for the center is aligned right? Is there a way to test this? I'm wondering if the antenna is warped or something. Just things are not computing!

I set for Peak, not for calculated. But, when it wasn't working, i then checked the calculated to see if that was at least showing I wasn't off when i wasn't getting what I am expecting.

Boy, what a tough one. Maybe post up some pictures of the dish if you can, maybe someone will spot something with the angles or something like that.

What is the direction of that airport near you? If it's on a heading of say 83W, maybe try aiming for something way over on the other side of the arc, like 125W and see if it goes away. Hope it's not some sort of interference from the airport, that would really stink.

You didn't buy your cables from Radio Shack by any chance, did you? I bought cables there years ago and they were junk right out of the package.

No, and i've used the patch cable im using on my KU band, so i know its not the cables, I know its NOT cables,receivers,switches,LNB. As for interference, I am pointing away from the airport, as the airport is opposite direction of the a DISH direction. I do have a Wimax dish pointed in the same direction for Internet, tomorrow, ill power that down to see if that might be causing interference. I have 2 wifi devices and ill power them down tomorrow too. I will also try peaking everything as soon as weather permits as a final test. After that, ill be dumfounded.

[QUOTE="iBoston, post: 3551792, member: 193939" I do have a Wimax dish pointed in the same direction for Internet, tomorrow, ill power that down to see if that might be causing interference. I have 2 wifi devices and ill power them down tomorrow too. I will also try peaking everything as soon as weather permits as a final test. After that, ill be dumfounded.[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask if you had satellite internet. There was a big thread last year where satellite internet interfered with a c-band dish. the internet was about in the same frequency range. If I recall he was going to try to move the wifi dish this past spring.

Catamount

I was going to ask if you had satellite internet. There was a big thread last year where satellite internet interfered with a c-band dish. the internet was about in the same frequency range. If I recall he was going to try to move the wifi dish this past spring.

No, this isn't satellite Internet. I'm not sure what frequency it runs in. It is a dish on the roof that points towards a antenna about 6-8 miles line of site. It is a type of WIMAX i believe. It allows me to have high speed Internet. I just got it about one year ago.

Quite likely your WIMAX is operating in the 3.5Ghz area.
Here's that earlier thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/wireless-internet-interfering-with-c-band.331086

:shh Well, SOB! That's what it was. I was already prepared to do this tomorrow, but after reading and seeing the linked post, i shutdown the WIMAX, went out side, patched in my portable receiver and WALA. without being fully tuned, i have a solid picture!!! I knew i was doing things right. DARN DARN DARN. What the heck do i do now???

Tomorrow ill take pictures and show the relation of the dish to the wimax.

I looked at the linked post.. There was no finalized resolution.

Yea, nope, not working.. Got two of em...
That's strange - the one I got back in June didn't mention WiFi or WiMax filtering but I see it is mentioned in the current description now. I wonder if it's something that was added recently? Looks like Titanium isn't online right now but I'm sure he'd like to know that the lnb is not filtering out the WiMax.

I am sure that both units are performing as designed and the out-if-band filtering is working. The C1PLL filtering is highly effective in removing WiMAX and wide area wifi below 3.6GHz and soft attenuation below 3.7GHz.

In this situation the RF transmitter is so close that it is swamping the LNBF with garbage within the downlink frequency range. You can't filter out the same range you want to receive. :(

If you have a spectrum analyzer on a satellite meter, you could likely find an RF sheltered area to relocate the dish, create an RF fence or relocate the Internet antenna.

I am sure that both units are performing as designed and the out-if-band filtering is working. The C1PLL filtering is highly effective in removing WiMAX and wide area wifi below 3.6GHz and soft attenuation below 3.7GHz.
In this situation the RF transmitter is so close that it is swamping the LNBF with garbage within the downlink frequency range. You can't filter out the same range you want to receive. :(
If you have a spectrum analyzer on a satellite meter, you could likely find an RF sheltered area to relocate the dish, create an RF fence or relocate the Internet antenna.
That makes sense Titanium. Kinda like a having 20 hockey pucks shot at you at once - you might stop some but you are 'designed' to stop a normal level (one) and the opposition is so strong you can't overcome it and some will get through. You mentioned an RF fence - would the things in this article work for iBoston? http://www.satsig.net/satellite/reducing-interference-satellite-tv.htm

Status
Please reply by conversation.