"NEW" Technology for DirecTV ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Labrat0116

Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Ok, last year I was all set with a great deal to get DT.

Tech came out to install and said there's is NO way to get a signal to your property. My next door neighbor has several huge Silver Maple trees that block all access lanes to the satellites from my property.

I removed a tree on my property that "may" give a shot to a clearing between my neighbor's Silver Maples.

So I called DT back and asked if a Tech could come back and check for a DT signal to my property. Well, they want to go thru the whole riggamaroo with Sales to set me up a new deal. I wasn't happy with that and I asked to speak to a Manager.

I explained (again....) to the Mgr my predicement. He said DT has NEW, better technology since last year and the signals CAN be retrieved THROUGH leaves. He put me back with a Sales Rep, so I just hung up on him.

I highly suspect this is bs, but wanted to see if you folks have heard of anything new Technology wise from DT.

Is this BS or what ?

While this may not be true, however, you called to get them to come out ... had you talked with a Sales Rep, you hung up with, they would have wrote up the package you wanted and sent a guy out.

Last year if they didn't install anything, then YES, the "New Equipment" would be the SWM dish, which isn't new, but seeing you don't have service, it IS new to you.

If you wanted them to come out to see if you NOW had a clear view after you took a tree out of the equation, why did you hang up ?

You defeated your own call.

While this may not be true, however, you called to get them to come out ... had you talked with a Sales Rep, you hung up with, they would have wrote up the package you wanted and sent a guy out.

Last year if they didn't install anything, then YES, the "New Equipment" would be the SWM dish, which isn't new, but seeing you don't have service, it IS new to you.

If you wanted them to come out to see if you NOW had a clear view after you took a tree out of the equation, why did you hang up ?

You defeated your own call.
Yes, I know. I was just leaving work at the time and really did not have a 1/2 hr to chose a package that "may" not even workout. I just wanted a Tech to come back and retake some measurements and readings.

Still undecided if I want to go through the whole spiel once again.

I just want Sunday Ticket Maxx On-Line like I had last year. I don't really want to change from TWC just to get STMaxx. I haven't yet seen the BIG savings it would provide making the switch.

I dunno...... ???

Yes, I just wanted a Tech to come back and retake some measurements and readings.

Still undecided if I want to go through the whole spiel once again.

So you want a tech to come out free of charge and waste his time to not get paid since you don't know if you even want the service yet assuming you do have los. Not cool man.. if you schedule an appointment plan on having the install completed and your commitment started. Please don't waste our time. We don't like working for free.

Could also mean new as is only need SL3 instead of SL5 which can make a huge difference with trees. I've never been able to get SL5's to work in wooded areas because the open path width for them is just too much. SL3 needs a much smaller width of open path compared to the SL5.

So you want a tech to come out free of charge and waste his time to not get paid since you don't know if you even want the service yet assuming you do have los. Not cool man.. if you schedule an appointment plan on having the install completed and your commitment started. Please don't waste our time. We don't like working for free.

It's not his fault crappy MasTec does not pay installers to do site survey's. If small wireless ISP's can afford to pay their employees to do free site survey's companies like DirecTV/MasTec should have no problem if they would just reduce the CEO's salary to pay for them.

Reactions: NotMe546
Thank you for your valuable input, but that's not correct.

I did not say I didn't want the Tech to come out and "IF" there was a signal I would NOT get DT.

It would be well worth DT's time to stop by my house (while they are in the area and NOT making a "special" trip just for me), to see if the Tech can spend 5 minutes of his time to retake so measurements and readings.

I'm fully prepared to buy DT, STMaxx and whole boatload of channels "IF" I am ASSURED that I can receive a strong DT signal.

What I don't want to do is spend 1/2hr on the phone and WASTE a DT Sale's Rep time (and MINE) to have a DT Service Tech come out and tell me that "NO buddy, you're still shiit out of luck". In that case, EVERYONE"S precious time is WASTED.

I've not yet made the decision to see if DT is even worth my while to go through all this again. Still need to evaluate the Pros/Cons vs what I already have.

Carry on.

It's not his fault crappy MasTec does not pay installers to do site survey's. If small wireless ISP's can afford to pay their employees to do free site survey's companies like DirecTV/MasTec should have no problem if they would just reduce the CEO's salary to pay for them.
Exactly.

That's one of the biggest problem in our Society. Corporate and CEO GREED.

Back to my case, I would GLADLY buy the Service Tech a (6) pack of his/her choosing for their trouble!

Ahh I got ya now... unfortunately scheduling does not work that way.. we have to make a special trip just for you in order to be in the area just based on how the scheduler works. It sucks but unless you happen to see a van driving around and flag him down then offer say 20 bucks just to do a site survey.. your not gonna get a tech out to your house without setting up an account first.

That's one of the biggest problem in our Society. Corporate and CEO GREED.
Salary.com. Jose R. Mas. As CEO at MASTEC INC, Jose R. Mas made $5,375,658 in total compensation.
Perhaps Mr.Mas would be generous and 'only' take $5,000,000 leaving an extra $375,000 to pay his field Service Techs more.

Never gonna happen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.