New to FTA since June 2014, My Dish Farm & FTA Project.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My 1.2m dish cost me $151 for shipping.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Shipping for a 1.2m dish costs so much because it has to go truck freight due to the size. A good solution is to watch the Craigslist thread and maybe get one fairly close to you, and very cheap. Or, start looking for abandoned dishes on defunct businesses around your town, and just put the word out that you are looking for one.

Also, there's nothing wrong in placing a "WANTED 1.2 meter satellite dish" in craigslist yourself. You might be surprised with the response.

Reactions: jorgek
@Primestar, thank you for the added tips! Sounds good, I was about to get on the internet and do more checking around. I just got off the phone now with a retailer, he says a 1.2M is offset and won't work for C-Band. He is doing some checking of his own too. :)

While it's true that dishes of this sort are off-set, it's UNTRUE that they can't be used for C-band. Here's the adapter that helps gather better signal in a case such as this:

@Primestar: I do have a brand new Titanium PLL C-Band LNB with a large Titanium T1 Conical Ring to go around it, so if I put that on the 1.2M dish, and just park it on the SES2 87W satellite; will my quality numbers be pretty good? I checked on one site, that put my house pretty much in the bulls eye for the strongest signal. The information said I would just need a 1.1M dish to get the signal, so I thought 1.2 would be better.

@Primestar: I do have a brand new Titanium PLL C-Band LNB with a large Titanium T1 Conical Ring to go around it, so if I put that on the 1.2M dish, and just park it on the SES2 87W satellite; will my quality numbers be pretty good? I checked on one site, that put my house pretty much in the bulls eye for the strongest signal. The information said I would just need a 1.1M dish to get the signal, so I thought 1.2 would be better.

87W is not a satellite that I would attempt to get with a 1.2m dish. Even 6 foot dishes have problems with this sat. You can try it just in case, but I doubt it'll be worthwhile. 99W for sure would work with 1.2m C-band, and is well worth going for.

@primestar31, Ok. Thanks for the info, like you mentioned I can try it first and see. I went to SatBeams to check out the footprint at my house for the 87W C-Band satellite. It said I would just need a 1.1M dish. But if I can't seem to get anything there, like you said, the 99W would be my 2nd choice to park the C-Band dish at. I wasn't looking to motorize it, I don't think my receiver can handle two H-H motor's at once.

By way of explanation as to why people aren't reporting success on 87W with small dishes: While a baseline calculation based on transponder output power and radiation pattern might give an acceptable signal strength on a 1.2M dish, I believe all the English channels on 87W C-band are now a higher-order modulation (DVB-S2 8PSK) than what used to be used, and so require a stronger signal in order to have a usable SNR.

Thanks Jim for the explanation, so your saying I would need a much larger dish to get anything out of 87W? It did have the most local stations on it, but there are some locals and other good stuff I saw on the 99W which is my 2nd choice. I won't be able to aim the 1.2M dish too far to the west or east. I have a large peak of the roof blocking the west, and the neighbors house block much of what I could get from the east. Where I plan to locate the 1.2M dish, I have a small window of sky to pick and choose from. The vendor I talked to earlier today wants to sell me a 6FT Prime Focus dish, which for $270 is not a bad price at all. But I'm pretty sure my wife isn't going to go for that size of antenna in place of the old Dish Network reflector. I am already pushing it with a 4 foot dish I want to buy soon on eBay.

Welcome to the Satelliteguys Home.
If your's looks like a radio station, mine must be looking like a deep space listening post.View attachment 99614
(Right in the front yard just off the sidewalk)
What satellite for a good chnnl selection? 99W on C and Ku. But unsure if the C is miniBUD friendly.
If you do find a 1.2 meter - I don't think I'd put it on the roof. But in the yard - and maybe paint it to blend in or stand out. Don't need 60 mph winds on a 24 sq ft sail up there.

Has anyone tampered with your dishes since they're so close to the sidewalk ?
In many neighborhoods, the location of those dishes would make them targets for vandalism.

a912563f60a2600cc96a258b25e1c35a.jpg
eaf02b864507cb101ea68606fc3be6c1.jpg

Im looking at 2 1.2M dishes on eBay I want to buy in a few days for C-Band. The cheapest dish has an offset angle of 24.6 degrees, the much more expensive one has an offset angle of 27.3 degrees. I would guess the much more expensive one would do better? The description says its for C-Band ad well as Ku.

Which two are you looking at?

Im not on my laptop at the moment to share the items here. Im using the phone while I am out on the road about ready to head on to the interstate. The $200 cheaper dish is sold by a new guy from Canada, which is reasonable to me. But for $280, I can get the dish from California from Geosatpro, which is probably a more secure deal. Im just trying to figure out which offset angle would work better for C-Band on a 1.2M dish.

The $200 dish from Canada ( including shipping) has the 24.6 offset, the $280 Geosatpro dish (including shipping) has the 27.3 offset. Maybe I am better off spending the extra $80? :)

I can say from experience that the GEOSATpro 1.2 is an excellent dish. :)

@ke4eat, ok. Cool! Thank you. I was starting to lean towards the Geosatpro one, just wasn't too keen on spending the extra $80. But I don't think my wife will let me go any bigger than this, she will already have a fit with me when the huge box shows up at the door.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts