Newbie Help: Installing a Winegard 76cm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BaldHead

Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Miami
Hi all,
Basically I want to know which type of pole I need to select for a Winegard 76cm.
I just bought this dish and because of trees in the area I need to put this dish high above the roof. I don’t want to attach anything on my roof (mainly because I have no idea how) so I want to mount the dish on a pole and support this pole to the side of the house.
Which poles will be suitable for this? In my local hardware store I can choose from 4 types of poles:
-Plumbing type zinc (heavy)
-Electrical EMT type
-Electrical Rigid type (very heavy)
-Fencing type tubing

The pipes at the hardware store are usually 10 feet but in case I need to go higher how do I do that?
Since this is a 2 story (multi level) house I can also put the pole on the roof of the first level and support it to a wall of the second level but then somebody needs to explain to me how to mount the pole on the roof of the first level.

Thanks,
Baldie

WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

I would use fencing tube if you can't get anything lighter, the higher the dish is the more it will move in the wind so it will HAVE to be supported by wires or you are wasting your time with the weaker linear Ku signals, I would not go any higher than 10' and even then as the wind blows the dish will move/flex and the picture WILL break up unless its tied down.

These bigger dish are always best kept as low as they can. (I realise you can't go low)

Any chance of putting a pole in the ground in your yard?

This is the way I want to do it. Put the pole in the ground, support the pole to the side of the house. The problem I have is that I only have 10 ft poles at my h/w stire. How do I extend the pole then in case I need to mount the dish above the roof which is more then 10ft high?

Keep in mind that with off-set dish the signal comes down from the satellite at around 22-24º higher than where the dish seems to be pointing. So you may not need to go as high as you think!

Attachments

• 22-deg-offset.gif
    22-deg-offset.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 203
  • elevatio.gif
    elevatio.gif
    2 KB · Views: 195
  • pdss047078.jpg
    pdss047078.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 167
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)