Newbie question trying to upgrade

litldvel

Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Virginia
I have been a DN customer for over 11years with the same ole' box. When calling for a dish it up! The best price I could get to purchase a box was $300 . Unless I want to lease, and with the box I have lasting 11 years well X's that by $7 bucks/month. So I figured it would be cheaper buying one outright. So on to doing this thing hopefully with some help from here.

What I have:
2700 box with I think a single Legacy LNB. Running to the Living room (nothing fancy)

What I want > I have gotten a VIP211 and want to use this in the living room and take the 2700 and put in in a bedroom. Can I replace the Dish and use both of these boxes from one dish? Do I need a switch or an adapter for the 2700 to work with the 211? I don't need locals channels because I have a antenna to do all of my local HDs. Any info would be helpful and thanks in advance..

If you want to receive HD thru your Dish account you'll need a 1000.2 dish . The 1000.2 will support your 211 and older 2700. Don't know where in Va you call home, but 129 is going to be home for Roanoke HD in march. Tri-Cities was available on the 25th. The 1000.2 is a very good performer, if you have a site. Whether you may be interested in LOL HD or not, it would make sense to look at a 1000.2 rather than the extra dish required for 61.5.

I have been a DN customer for over 11years with the same ole' box. When calling for a dish it up! The best price I could get to purchase a box was $300 . Unless I want to lease, and with the box I have lasting 11 years well X's that by $7 bucks/month. So I figured it would be cheaper buying one outright. So on to doing this thing hopefully with some help from here.

The first/primary receiver lease fee is covered in the package price so you are still paying the $7 monthly even though you purchase your own receiver. You are bypassing the commitment requirement though which may be a good thing if you dislike commitments.

"The first/primary receiver lease fee is covered in the package price so you are still paying the $7 monthly even though you purchase your own receiver. You are bypassing the commitment requirement though which may be a good thing if you dislike commitments."

From what I have seen they add another 7 bucks for leased equipment, and with a purchased box I have never seen this on my bill. Thanks for the option Jerry , I was looking to do a dish 500 with a twin LNB. But I will look at the 1000.2 now.

Thx for the info, from everyone.

"The first/primary receiver lease fee is covered in the package price so you are still paying the $7 monthly even though you purchase your own receiver. You are bypassing the commitment requirement though which may be a good thing if you dislike commitments."

From what I have seen they add another 7 bucks for leased equipment, and with a purchased box I have never seen this on my bill. Thanks for the option Jerry , I was looking to do a dish 500 with a twin LNB. But I will look at the 1000.2 now.

Thx for the info, from everyone.

Jerry is right, even though you haven't seen it on your bill, you have still been paying it... well sort of. The first leased tuner is included in the package. Say you signed up for dish today, and only wanted one room... say the package you choose is 39.99. Whethere you lease your reciever or buy it your price is still 39.99 unless you add a second LEASED reciever. you can still have as many owned receivers as you like at no additional charge... Now for the 1000.2 dish, If you are wanting HD, which I assume you do since you have a 211 which is a HD reciever, you will need a 1000.2, but the tech will take care of that when he comes to install the new receiver anyway... hope this helps

When I called Dish they was going to add the $7 bucks for the leased receiver, this could have been just the tech that I got on the phone. What ever the case I don't like have leased equipment. So I bought both of my boxes and will be installing them myself. I seen where the dish 500 with the DPP LNB would work for the 211, so I am trying that first since I have the Dish 500 already. If that doesn't work I will move to the 1000.2 and use the 500 for the 129. I don't need the Locals cause I have an Antenna to do those.

It is a programming mirror fee. Whether you lease or own after the first receiver you pay a fee to mirror your programming on any additional boxes. So the 211 is going to cost 7.00 whether you own or lease since it will be considered your second receiver and your old 2700 will still be the primary receiver. You might as well get the 1000.2 because it will cover programming from the 110,119 and 129 orbital locations. 129 is where 95% of HD channels come from.

way its explanied to me is the 700 is a hd fee if u have hd or not u need to pay it it be 700 for hd and another 5 for adeanal reciver another dish rip off

also for hd in my area we cant get the 129 bird we need get 1 2nd dish and 61.5 bird so dependes on area the 2800 reciver and 211 should be fine witrh dpp twin

Thanks for all the replies. It has helped out a lot it will be another week before I can crawl out on the roof. But the comments here have helped me out alot.

Thanks All