Newbie with question..

papersun6

Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
HI.. New here.. first post..

I have the 811 receiver and run the HD into a Sony trinitron HD ready tv. The HD stations work good except for the ESPNHD. The best example I can give is that when Im watching a sporting event and the Refs ( there zebra unifors) flicker, most wide shots look like that in general. Closer shots look better but some things still flicker like that. I can give more information if need to help, but like I said, Im new.. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.. Rob

I rarely watch ESPN-HD but I can tell most of their programming is upconverted from lower quality sources. Only on a few occations do they display events that were actually filmed in HD.

Yes, if you are getting "chroma crawl" (usually seen as color "crawling" into white areas), you are probably watching an upconverted program. The HD events on ESPN-HD almost always look great. Enjoy, and welcome to the forum!

Brad

You may want to check your "sharpness" or "detail" control. If it is set to high, it can produce the same effect.

More than likely, you are set on 1080i on the 811. Set it to 720p when you "really" want to watch something on ESPNHD or ABCHD. There will only be one "conversion".

I too have a Sony HD CRT in the bedroom hooked to a 6000 box. This does the trick on 720p sources.

It would be nice if E* would add a "native output" selection and send 480/720/1080 to your display and let it resolve it.

Yup, when something is in HD on ESPN, or you're watching ABC or FOX, you'll want to go into Menu 6-1-9 and change the 811 to 720p.

Ive tried tinkering with the settings of the TV and the HD.. and nothing seems to work.. Im certain the the programming Im watching is the HD programming.. ex. their sunday night football games. ESPN seems to be the only issue. When i watch espn HD at my parents, the picture is great. I have no idea what the deal is.

mike_johnson said:
Papersun6,
What output on the 811 are you connecting to your Sony HDTV? Component or DVI?

Mike, I have used both.. first component and now DVI. Results were the same with both.. Rob

lil update.. tonight the NIT BBall game is in HD.. so i checked it out and ran through some different options.. and everythings kinda "just not sharp" the letters that run underneath the baskets are flickering.. the normal camera angle, the refs uniforms, u cant even tell the white stripes from black..

on a side note, is there something on the remote that can help, cause the remote that came hasnt ever worked. had to get a universal to use.. thanks

did you hook up the little antenna to the green port on the back of the 811 cause the factory remote for the 811 is uhf only (from what i can tell). If you did is it getting some serious interference like from a A/V receiver?

As far as the picture quality, Did you try changing the HD output on your 811 to 720p and 480p to see if that looks better? Also are you sure what you are watching is HD (is it wide screen and not stretched?)?

Jon

j5races said:
did you hook up the little antenna to the green port on the back of the 811 cause the factory remote for the 811 is uhf only (from what i can tell). If you did is it getting some serious interference like from a A/V receiver?

As far as the picture quality, Did you try changing the HD output on your 811 to 720p and 480p to see if that looks better? Also are you sure what you are watching is HD (is it wide screen and not stretched?)?

Jon

Jon.. for the remote.. yes.. little antenna is in place.. as for the espnhd.. im certain the programming is HD.. only certain shows are in hd format.. the NIT basketball game tonight was and it was lousy .. ive tried both the 720p and 480p. it always looks the same.. im truely stumped.. On thing to note. my installed had never hooked up the 811 receiver before, so i had to do that on my own, but im pretty sure its hooked up right cause the other HD channels are fine.