NFL 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying I like the commissioner but the players play for the league. They are the employees and they need to follow the rules. The players do not get to make their own rules. If they want to make changes then the Players Association can meet with the commissioner and they can make some changes.

I think a lot of fans forget that the NFL is a business and the players are working for the owners. The players have to follow rules just like all of the rest of us with jobs.

they change Intentional grounding rule ?
watching Kansas City vs New Orleans.....Drew Brees on first possession 3rd down sure looked like it. no one said a word

I'm not saying I like the commissioner but the players play for the league. They are the employees and they need to follow the rules. The players do not get to make their own rules. If they want to make changes then the Players Association can meet with the commissioner and they can make some changes.

I think a lot of fans forget that the NFL is a business and the players are working for the owners. The players have to follow rules just like all of the rest of us with jobs.

Totally agree.

On the flip side,Goodell,does seem to try and take some of the fun out of the game.If the NFL starts seeing declining ratings.which I'm sure they won't,then personalized face masks,and celebrations after every play will return.

they change Intentional grounding rule ?
watching Kansas City vs New Orleans.....Drew Brees on first possession 3rd down sure looked like it. no one said a word

Not sure on that,they did get rid of the stupid tuck rule,and guess what,Bellichick challenged a play that was very close to a tuck.He did win the challenge.

Making the game safer, more profitable, not to mention 10 years of labor peace... Yeah, horrible commish.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

That's good and it's why at the beginning I liked him a lot but, he's screwing up other parts of the game. I guess what has really turned me off is how inconsistent the rules are applied. Is he the worse commissioner in sports? I don't think so but in my mind he's no longer the best either. For the moment the NFL is on top and growing so he can not be horrible but there are some questionable moves and decisions on his part. Just my 2¢.....

Luke McCown had a nice 3rd q and Nick Toon Al's boy looks like a keeper. Preston Parker 2 TDS's on broken plays nice

Last edited by a moderator:
best back up QB's
Kyle Orton - better than 5-6 teams starter
Matt Hasselbeck - better than 5-6 teams starter
Kirk Cousins - $$ waiting as a FA
Derek Anderson - wish the Browns just kept him
Luke McCown

That's good and it's why at the beginning I liked him a lot but, he's screwing up other parts of the game. I guess what has really turned me off is how inconsistent the rules are applied. Is he the worse commissioner in sports? I don't think so but in my mind he's no longer the best either. For the moment the NFL is on top and growing so he can not be horrible but there are some questionable moves and decisions on his part. Just my 2¢.....

Personally I'd like a better response than "because I said so" as to why they banned the face masks that they did. It really seems like the NFL both fears & despises individuality & will do everything in its power to stamp it out. The NFL reminds me right now of the ruling body in the James Caan movie "Rollerball" who kept changing the rules of the game(& making it more dangerous & deadly) so that no one person could excel in the game & rise above the others. Goodell is turning the NFL players into the Borg Collective.

Personally I'd like a better response than "because I said so" as to why they banned the face masks that they did. It really seems like the NFL both fears & despises individuality & will do everything in its power to stamp it out. The NFL reminds me right now of the ruling body in the James Caan movie "Rollerball" who kept changing the rules of the game(& making it more dangerous & deadly) so that no one person could excel in the game & rise above the others. Goodell is turning the NFL players into the Borg Collective.

Because they're uniforms, not a costume contest? How long before there is text in a facemask, or a controversial message? You cant come in and selectively restrict it then, it's all or nothing.

Edit: now that im not on my phone...

It's not that I don't disagree, but it's a matter of time before we get something more than 'oh look at the scary grill' and start getting things like GAY or BLACK or some initials written into the face mask to support causes, activism or other reasons. Might as well deal with it now rather than go down a path that could cause a much worse situation PR-wise. Better to be consistent (Rey's complaint) and stop it now. Already a couple have received exemptions for medical reasons (eye/neck issues).

Also, they can still be customized to a degree, they are just restricted to have a specific number of bars now.

Last edited:
Making the game safer, more profitable, not to mention 10 years of labor peace... Yeah, horrible commish.

What does flagging someone for doing a touchdown dance have ANYTHING to do with profits or safety? AND if you look how there has been an inconsistency in how the commissioner handles misbehavior...as consistent. Go for it. As far as "labor peace"... we shall see.

What does flagging someone for doing a touchdown dance have ANYTHING to do with profits or safety? AND if you look how there has been an inconsistency in how the commissioner handles misbehavior...as consistent. Go for it. As far as "labor peace"... we shall see.

It's unsportsmanlike conduct. Look hard enough and I'm sure you can find some issues with consistent punishment, but that's usually by those who only read the headlines or pretend like every infraction is the same or equal. Guy has far from an easy job, but think he's doing pretty well.

What ever happened to sportsmanship anyway? They try to teach it in high school and some in college but why would any kids care when they see on TV they don't have to worry about it. I think of it more as how society is changing into a bunch of show offs. I don't think of it as entertainment that much anymore. It bothers me to know that kids are watching this and looking up to these people. Why can't their be any respect and sportsmanship any more?

Showboating gets you on Sportscenter.

Exactly,and ESPN pays a huge amount for those NFL rights.Oh wait,I mean we pay ESPN,who in turn pays the NFL for those rights,we want our highlight reels dang it!:D

I'm not exactly enamored with any of the commissioner's, but I would take Goodell by MILES over the other three. Selig and Bettman are complete boobs, and Stern is a narcissistic jerk.

OMG,if Brian Orakpo gets away with this,it'll be pure anarchy,

?
"a disaster of biblical proportions." "Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling!" "Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!" "The dead rising from the grave!" "Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!"

Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo plans to appeal NFL’s ban on customized face masks
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...an-orakpo-plans-appeal-nfl-ban-193245385.html

Roger "I Am the Law" Goodell(the NFL's "Judge Dredd") has let power go to his head & has turned into a megalomaniac.

Last edited:
Using the quote makes it look like Orakpo said some/all of that, rather than the attempt at sarcasm. You have a bright future as a Bleacher Report writer though.

Just another avenue for people to bash Goodell is all, continue to completely ignore the reasons behind it, or that he's merely a representative of the owners, and only given as much power as the union allows him to have and collectively bargained and agreed upon.

What ever happened to sportsmanship anyway? They try to teach it in high school and some in college but why would any kids care when they see on TV they don't have to worry about it. I think of it more as how society is changing into a bunch of show offs. I don't think of it as entertainment that much anymore. It bothers me to know that kids are watching this and looking up to these people. Why can't their be any respect and sportsmanship any more?

What does being excited and celebrating for the fans have to do with being unsportsmanlike ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock Tax

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts