Not a chance in...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chuckles2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2006
My wife says we have to keep east and west distant networks* (our locals are infamous for local programing interrupting network programing), we're SD, out tivos are dying -and she loves her tivos (I'm watch little tv at home on the road a lot so it kinda her call)
is there any way we could get the new HD tivos to use as SD?

* my understanding is with HD you get only the distant network for your side of the country - i.e., east for east.

My wife says we have to keep east and west distant networks* (our locals are infamous for local programing interrupting network programing), we're SD, out tivos are dying -and she loves her tivos (I'm watch little tv at home on the road a lot so it kinda her call)
is there any way we could get the new HD tivos to use as SD?

* my understanding is with HD you get only the distant network for your side of the country - i.e., east for east.

You get whatever locals are being broadcast in your area. If you have them HD then they're in HD, if not still SD. Equipment doesn't matter what kind of locals you'll receive. I think I answered the question if I read it right :)

You would have to pay HD access to have any "leased" HD receivers on the account.

So, you either stay with SD Tivos, or find some OWNED HD Tivos, which would be difficult to do.

DirecTV would probably sell you owned ones for around $500 each if you call the Access Card Department.

Even with 2 sets of locals, I would LOVE the east/west "real" feeds because the tickers, displaced shows, and inconsistent quality is annoying.

If you are grandfathered you should get both in HD ...

No, that actually WAS changed some time ago for ALL distant net subs, & was part of the last (STELA) act.
Even if you currently get BOTH E/W nets in SD - you are NOT allowed to get HD distants that are earlier than your actual time zone. So to basically treat ALL (distant) subs equally, what D* now does, is they allow ALL distant (HD) subs to ONLY get 1 set of HD distants, depending on the time zone they reside in.
East & Central subs can ONLY get E HD distant nets, while Mountain & West subs can ONLY get W HD distant nets.
They CAN still get BOTH in SD.

No, that actually WAS changed some time ago for ALL distant net subs, & was part of the last (STELA) act.
Even if you currently get BOTH E/W nets in SD - you are NOT allowed to get HD distants that are earlier than your actual time zone. So to basically treat ALL (distant) subs equally, what D* now does, is they allow ALL distant (HD) subs to ONLY get 1 set of HD distants, depending on the time zone they reside in.
East & Central subs can ONLY get E HD distant nets, while Mountain & West subs can ONLY get W HD distant nets.
They CAN still get BOTH in SD.

We live in Wa state and get both LA and NY channels in HD. 390 thur 399 We were grandfathered in when we went to HD.

We live in Wa state and get both LA and NY channels in HD. 390 thur 399 We were grandfathered in when we went to HD.

Question: are you grandfathered in as a distant net sub via (local station) waivers...or do you have distant nets via an RV waiver???

Also, D* also states this on their own website re: (HD) distant nets. (they call it "digital", but they really meant HD)

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2626/related/1

Why is only a single East or West Coast feed available for digital DNS service?.
For DNS service, current federal legislation does not allow DIRECTV to provide customers with primetime programming earlier than that same programming is available from their local stations. Therefore, only one feed of DNS service is available to DIRECTV customers. Qualified customers living in the Eastern or Central time zones will receive the East Coast DNS feed. All other customers will receive the West Coast feed.

SD locals for major channels don't exist for most people, if you're speaking OTA. Most markets don't have CBS HD and CBS SD OTA. Providers create these "fake" channels and then make up rules about them. Blows my mind.

Know it alls sometimes know nothing, FYI those who are not RV subs, if you are grandfathered and had/have SD Distants via NY and LA these are the facts. The HD subs were switched over from the SD distants to HD distants east and west about two years ago. Some of us also get our locals with the distants. The OP will have nothing to do other than go HD and you will get them in the 390's period! The one coast only does not apply to the ones who had both in SD...we get both in HD. Also regardless of how you obtained your distant networks via waiver, moved after waiver, no new waivers obtained after move...the last legislation has you grandfathered!

Last edited:
You would have to pay HD access to have any "leased" HD receivers on the account.

So, you either stay with SD Tivos, or find some OWNED HD Tivos, which would be difficult to do.

DirecTV would probably sell you owned ones for around $500 each if you call the Access Card Department.

NO<NO<NO..............................it will depend on where you are to be correct on this.
I had a HD DVR and did not have HD.................I had a HR23, and H20. they set me up originally with HD, but i called and canceled it, no problem.

since then i have upgraded to the Genie and now have HD Free.

NO<NO<NO..............................it will depend on where you are to be correct on this.
I had a HD DVR and did not have HD.................I had a HR23, and H20. they set me up originally with HD, but i called and canceled it, no problem.

since then i have upgraded to the Genie and now have HD Free.

I have no idea what you mean from your post. My post was responding to the OPs request to have HD Tivos without HD Access.
To have an HD receiver without HD Access to my understanding it would have to be owned. To lease would require HD Access.
Buying HD TIVOs would be very expensive. The OP specifically said he wants HD TIVOs.

I have no idea what you mean from your post. My post was responding to the OPs request to have HD Tivos without HD Access.
To have an HD receiver without HD Access to my understanding it would have to be owned. To lease would require HD Access.
Buying HD TIVOs would be very expensive. The OP specifically said he wants HD TIVOs.

sorry, i was just stating that it is possible to have HD receivers and not subscribe to HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts