Ok Where is Dish's Agreement with NBC?!? DirecTV beat them...

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
Ok this sucks, I hope to be seeing a similar press release for Dish Network coming Soon.

Press Release Source: DIRECTV, Inc.

NBC Universal Cable and DIRECTV Reach Long-Term Multi-Platform Agreement
Wednesday July 28, 12:35 pm ET
Agreement Includes Rights to Distribute 2004 NBC HD Olympic Coverage and Bravo HD+

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J. & EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 28, 2004--NBC Universal Cable (NBCU) and DIRECTV, Inc., today announced a long-term multi-platform carriage agreement for the NBC Universal Cable properties, including USA and SCI FI, digital retransmission consent for the NBC O&O stations, rights to distribute NBC's HD Olympic programming for the upcoming Athens games, Bravo HD+, as well as rights to carry first-run Universal movie titles and NBC Universal specials and events on a pay-per-view basis. In addition, contracts for Bravo, Telemundo and mun2 were renewed and extended. DIRECTV and NBCU already have long-term deals in place for carriage of CNBC, MSNBC, CNBC World and the Olympics. This marks the first all encompassing affiliate agreement for NBC Universal Cable with one of the top distributors since the closure of the Vivendi merger.
"DIRECTV has always been a valued partner," said David Zaslav, president, NBC Universal Cable. "Through this agreement we were able to secure distribution for our two newest networks, USA and SCI FI, digital retransmission for the NBC O&O stations, deliver on DIRECTV's request for more high-quality HD programming by providing them with NBC's special 2004 HD Olympic coverage and Bravo HD+ and provide them with Universal's first-run movies and specials to run on pay-per-view. We are committed to providing our distribution partners with the programming that they need to drive their businesses."

"Our agreement with NBC Universal Cable is a gold medal win for our customers who have been asking for more HD content, as well as those who will continue to enjoy the breadth of quality programming NBCU offers," said Stephanie Campbell, executive vice president, Programming, DIRECTV, Inc. "This comprehensive agreement is a measure of the strength of our relationship with NBCU and will have long-term value for DIRECTV and our customers. Coupled with our recent announcement that we will air up to 100 HD broadcasts of 2004 NFL SUNDAY TICKET regular season games, DIRECTV will be the premier HD destination for sports fans this summer and fall."

About NBC Universal Cable

NBC Universal Cable, a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's preeminent media companies, drives the company's cable strategic development and growth including video-on-demand, pay-per-view, HDTV and retransmission consent, and oversees the cable distribution, marketing and local ad sales of twelve properties (Bravo, Bravo HD+, CNBC, CNBC World, MSNBC, mun2, SCI FI, ShopNBC, Telemundo, Trio, USA and the Olympics on cable). NBC Universal Cable also directs and manages the company's cable and new media investments including A&E, The History Channel, History Channel International, The Biography Channel, National Geographic International, the Sundance Channel and Tivo.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV is the nation's leading digital multichannel television service provider with more than 12.6 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of The DIRECTV Group, Inc. (NYSE:DTV - News). The DIRECTV Group is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment, broadband satellite networks and services, and global video and data broadcasting. The DIRECTV Group is 34 percent owned by Fox Entertainment Group, which is approximately 82 percent owned by News Corporation Ltd.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040728/285671_1.html

What contract were they forced to carry it under?

Seems every time new channels are added it's because it was forced down their throats.

Maybe they were waitng on this:

SECOND PERIODIC REVIEW OF THE COMMISSION'S RULES AND POLICIES AFFECTING
THE CONVERSION TO DIGITAL TELEVISION. Granted Request by NBC
Universal, Inc. for waiver of digital television simulcasting
requirement during Olympic broadcast coverage for all NBC stations. (Dkt
No. 03-15). Action by: Chief, Media Bureau. Adopted: 07/26/2004 by
ORDER. (DA No. 04-2335). MB

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-04-2335A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-04-2335A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-04-2335A1.txt

No that's to allow the NBC affiliates broadcast the HD feed on their digital 24/7. There's a law that says something like 80% of the programming on the Digital Station has to match what's on their analog station. So their trying to get a waiver for that. I think as it is now a lot stations wont be doing the 24/7 thing cause it's just a waste of time, they'll probably only end up showing the 8 hour block once rather than all day.

I hope that dish has the same terms as DirecTV. That makes another network for O&O stations, to bad once again that doesn't include me...

BFG said:
No that's to allow the NBC affiliates broadcast the HD feed on their digital 24/7. There's a law that says something like 80% of the programming on the Digital Station has to match what's on their analog station. So their trying to get a waiver for that. I think as it is now a lot stations wont be doing the 24/7 thing cause it's just a waste of time, they'll probably only end up showing the 8 hour block once rather than all day.

I hope that dish has the same terms as DirecTV. That makes another network for O&O stations, to bad once again that doesn't include me...

Actually the waiver has been granted and if it was not NBC HD might have had to abandon its plan to offer separate coverage of the Olympics.

JohnH said:
Some are misreading the retransmission consent thing. It is nothing like CBS HD. It is only for local delivery of the O & O stations.

...then I'm misreading. Isn't CBS only O&O + Distant? is the only difference distant?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the HD feed will be available to everyone and not just those in O&O areas, and this is because this HD feed is not what is airing on the actual NBC Network.

If NBC HD remains after the Olympics then the HD programming shown would only be available to those in NBC O&O areas.

Scott Greczkowski said:
If NBC HD remains after the Olympics then the HD programming shown would only be available to those in NBC O&O areas.
I could live with that!
Iceberg said:
Which company owns NBC? (like Viacom owns CBS)
General Electric (80%), Vivendi Universal (20%). The Universal merger happened in May.

I think that's exactly it, just the morons over at AVS like to analyse everything and don't have any clue of the reality and the fact that dish has a channel uplinked called OLYPC on 9425. So they can go on with their junk and I'll be able to watch a 24 hour delay of the Olympics on dish :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)