Ota Dvr

Well so far the TabloTV 4th gen is a disappointment. "So many ways to enjoy TV with Tablo. Simply download the Tablo TV app on your favorite smart device and it’s showtime!" That marketing statement is misleading. There are only a handful of apps available. So far I can only watch TabloTV on my fire stick and android tablet. My Samsung, Vizio, and 3 PCs are useless.

I have 3 wired fire cubes and the system is working great on the 4th gen tablo. The picture quality is more than acceptable and the speed at which everything operates is very good also.
Just my opinion about smart tvs. The word smart is very misleading, these platforms are usually all different and do not update to keep up with new apps. I would never consider these platforms for streaming especially with roku and firetv on top of their game.
The only feature I'd like to see is a way for remote viewing when away from the house. Far from a deal breaker imo. This system is exactly what I needed and will allow me to make some needed changes to my monthly expenses.

Reactions: dishdude
I have 3 wired fire cubes and the system is working great on the 4th gen tablo. The picture quality is more than acceptable and the speed at which everything operates is very good also.
Just my opinion about smart tvs. The word smart is very misleading, these platforms are usually all different and do not update to keep up with new apps. I would never consider these platforms for streaming especially with roku and firetv on top of their game.
The only feature I'd like to see is a way for remote viewing when away from the house. Far from a deal breaker imo. This system is exactly what I needed and will allow me to make some needed changes to my monthly expenses.
Once ATSC 3.0 with all stations being DRM/encrypted and is the only system out there, you won't be allowed to stream outside the house anyway.

They won't allow streaming outside the house. They are completely paranoid about piracy, and that would be another way to pirate the signal for some.

Last edited:
On my recent trip to Estonia I've heard stories that during the Russian occupation people were using ota to receive stations from Finland which had some American tv shows. Apparently the only tv allowed legally during the occupation was Russian tv. Ota was literally a link to another world for many people.

Well in Canada I don't see ATSC 3 ever happening! As a matter of fact, the 2 huge monopolies here are out to eliminate OTA altogether. A lot of OTA stations have already disappeared!
Agreed, and most of those that disappeared happened during the switch to digital. Can you imagine the fallout that would happen if they were made to switch to ATSC3? Plus, we don't have any sub-channels (well, a handful, if that, country-wide). It has been bleak times for OTA here for quite a while!

Rescanned the Tablo and downloaded an additional 17 fast channels. Now have a total of 110 channels of which 44 are OTA.
In my previous post the SSD is 500GB rather than 500mghz.
I still have the old Tablo that doesn't have the fast channels. I will probably get the new one, if I can get guides for METV & METV+ and there is no cost for the guide. I paid up to next year for the guide with the old Tablo.

I still have the old Tablo that doesn't have the fast channels. I will probably get the new one, if I can get guides for METV & METV+ and there is no cost for the guide. I paid up to next year for the guide with the old Tablo.
Just make sure your devices are supported with apps from TabloTV. The connectivity is via WFi. There are no HDMI or ethernet output ports!

I will buy a new one when the 4 tuner model is out.