OTA Kicking some Major Arse

bsr2002

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jul 13, 2005
South Texas
I live in Corpus Christi, TX and as I'm typing this I'm picking up Fox 8 | WVUE - New Orleans, Louisiana on DTV :) . That's pretty far even for my CM 4228. :D I know this is probably temporary, but how does this happen?:confused:

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
It is called tropo ducting or "skipping". It happens with both anlaog and digital signals. It happens alot on the coast in wet conditions. Do a search on google.com and it will give you a lot of information about it. I sometimes get the digital signal from Houston and I am at least 90 miles away and I am using a terk 44 which is only made for about 40 miles out. It happens at night and sometimes early in the morning . Never during the day for me.

bsr2002

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jul 13, 2005
South Texas
Right, at night and early in the mornings I will receive Victoria, Houston, Austin or San Antonio which is cool because our ABC station dragging it's feet going DTV so I get to pick the HD ABC station with the best signal. :)

Yes, I will do a google search like you said. By the way I've been picking these LA. stations mostly all day with very little drop outs :D Will enjoy it while I can. It sure is interesting to watch someone elses local NEWS instead of your own :eek:

langlin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2006
Ozark Mountains
I'm seventy miles from the Springfield, MO antenna farm and I get perfect reception from the two high power DT stations, the NBC and PBS. I am waiting for the other stations to get up to high power but I expect to get them too, I have a high gain antenna at about 40 feet high and I guess I have a path through the Ozarks also, but the signal has held through the summer and the signal comes through tall oak trees. I also have to "look" through trees for my 61.5 Voom and CBS.

damaged

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2005
South of Heaven
Back in the hayday of CB radio, we would experience 'skip', in my youth, when I lived in Las Vegas and into CBs, I have gotten signals from as far as Canada and Mexico as well as from other far-away states (using a professional outdoor CB base station antenna), but only on certain days, interesting stuff.

langlin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2006
Ozark Mountains
Being 70 miles from tv station, skip ruined our spring and summer viewing many nights, but was really a VHF problem and low VHF at that, now that our digital stations are UHF it is totally not a problem.:D

arxaw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 27, 2004
Arkansas Ozarks
langlin said:
Being 70 miles from tv station, skip ruined our spring and summer viewing many nights, but was really a VHF problem and low VHF at that, now that our digital stations are UHF it is totally not a problem.:D
There are quite a few VHF digitals (four in Arkansas), and even a few lowband VHF digitals across the country. KETS-DT is on channel 5, which does not work well at all, due to impulse noise interference and tropo/eskip interference. They will be abandoning lowband VHF after the 2nd round of channel selections. Smart move.

Last edited:

Tower Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 1, 2005
arxaw said:
There are quite a few VHF digitals (four in Arkansas), and even a few lowband VHF digitals across the country. KETS-DT is on channel 5, which does not work well at all, due to impulse noise interference and tropo/eskip interference. They will be abandoning lowband VHF after the 2nd round of channel selections. Smart move.

True, except that so few stations have selected channel 5 that the tropo and E-skip problems will virtually disappear once the analogs are turned off.

Multipath?

Denver ABC & Super Bowl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)