ota prob.

squirrelguy said:
Bhelms- Don't know if boy scouts (40YEARS AGO!) had a piece that looked quite like the one that charper1 linked to on his earlier post!
Agreed, but you don't need anything real fancy to find a magnetic bearing. Just about any compass with the numbers on it can do that well enough for what you're trying to do! Get the boy scout you borrow it from to show you how it's done! (Good test for both of you...!)

EDIT: Of course I'm assuming that you know the nearly exact magnetic bearing to the transmitter of interest. Antennaweb.org has a certain amount of error built into it, worst if you activate it only with your zip code. But the information on the websites that identify the lat/lon of the transmitters is very accurate. Use a map to place that point exactly, and your location. Draw the line between those points to determine the bearing relative to TRUE north, then correct for the variation at your location (it should be indicated on your map if it's a good enough quality, like a USGS map). Don't forget that even after you have your antenna pointed exactly, by whatever means, you may still have to adjust it "off center" a bit to account for signal path distortions peculiar to your location.

Of course you can use the resources identified by bubbers44 and throw the map and compass away - but what fun it that? (Nothing like trying to stablize your compass while balancing on a roof, not to mention that any steel in the vicinity, like the mast, will increase the error...!)

Last edited:
bubbers44-Thanks for the info. Went to "Google Earth" clicked tools, clicked measure. then got stuck. don't see anything to click on to that refers to "Antenna transmitter site" Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squirrelguy,

You need to get the latitude/longitude of the transmitter off that last post I made then using google go to that position, then click tools, measure and put that little square over the transmitter antenna, click, then zoom out to find your house, zoom and place the end of the line over your house antenna location. pointing the antenna where that line goes will point you right at the antenna. Now all things being perfect you will have the strongest signal. Moving the antenna L&R a bit might correct for any signal deviations. Google Earth is a wonderful tool.

30 miles and 188° from 17361 (nearly due South) GET A $12 compass; thats as easy and non-fancy as it can ever get! Everyone should have one or two anyway. Kind of like a flashlight.

All the Google searches and plotting is way over the top, too much and un-needed confusion for the everyday user just to perform the simple correct aiming of an OTA antenna. All the needed info is located in the FCC Query tools. However, all the towers are just outside Woodberry, ME at:

39° 20' 10.68" N Latitude
76° 38' 58.20" W Longitude

or for Google World location field: 39.3363 -76.6495

or

compass heading 188° of said start location. Narrowing it down to his exact Shewsbury, PA address, some 30 miles away, will not change the result enough to alter the aiming.

Attachments

• map 188d.gif
    map 188d.gif
    169.2 KB · Views: 121
  • map 188d.jpg
    map 188d.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Baltimore Towers.jpg
    Baltimore Towers.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I guess retiring as a pilot makes me think aiming at the left side of my neighbors roof is easier than wondering how accurate the compass is inside my house with electrical wiring and such. Both systems work. At night the north star gives a really good reference to true north. Maybe the best way is just swinging the antenna while on your cell having your wife call out the signal strength. That is what we all end up doing anyway. It worked best setting up microwave mountain top repeaters.

You guys are just a weath of information and I want to take a sec. to thank you all for the time and effort you put in to assisting me with this situation. Learned a lot from it!!!!!!! Anyway, I think I've finally got the prob. solved. I took down the "Terk" antenna that was up on the roof, and bought and installed the "Winegard P.V. 4000" antenna. What a difference. Basiclly just aimed it in the general direction as was terk pointed in, and got lucky. All of the channels I want to recieve now come in Not only strong, but the signal is as steady as a rock. NO MORE DROP OFF!!!!!!!!! Lost one or two of the very distant or "fringe" stations the Terk pulled in, but had no intrest in those anyway. I believe this particular model has a narrower signal band and a shorter range than the Terk had. But as some of you suggested, that was my whole prob. The stations I wanted were to close to me for the use of that Terk . Anybody need a slightly used Terk? L.O.L. Anyway, Could not be happier. Next move is a rotor. Thanks again all for you time and advice!!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)