OTA Reccomendations

probinson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
NW Pennsylvania
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on what OTA antenna would be good for my location.

Most stations I'm trying to get are within 30-40 miles from me, though there are some in the 50-60 mile range that would be nice to get also. But anyway, antennaweb says that to get some of the channels, I need a violet-uhf antenna. Most every channel is in the same general direction (within 15-20° of each other). I should also mention that I live in somewhat of a valley, and there are a fair number of trees around my house. So I'm thinking I need to find a good antenna for fringe applications.

I was looking at the CM4228. Does that sound like a good choice for my circumstances?

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on what OTA antenna would be good for my location.

Most stations I'm trying to get are within 30-40 miles from me, though there are some in the 50-60 mile range that would be nice to get also. But anyway, antennaweb says that to get some of the channels, I need a violet-uhf antenna. Most every channel is in the same general direction (within 15-20° of each other). I should also mention that I live in somewhat of a valley, and there are a fair number of trees around my house. So I'm thinking I need to find a good antenna for fringe applications.

I was looking at the CM4228. Does that sound like a good choice for my circumstances?
I'll let you know. I will be putting up a CM4228 with a CM7777 pre-amp this weekend. My local (Baltimore, MD) towers are about 45 miles SW. My current VHF/UHF ant is not cutting it.

I use a CM4228 with NO preamp here in the New Orleans area and I have rock solid performance at 25-30 miles, so if you want a better chance with the 50-60 mile setup go ahead and get the CM preamp with the 4228 antenna and you will be covered. :up

50-60 miles is a long way though, especially in a valley. Might be dicey. But hey, give it a shot.

The CM4228 and the Antennas Direct XG91 are the best UHF antennas. If you need to pull in a VHF station or 2 add a WInegard YA-1713 to either and combine with the CM7777.

I'd go with the CM4228 or Antennas Direct DB8. Either of those will give you the best chances, when preamped, of getting long range channels.

I just bought a Terk HDTVa yesterday at BestBuy (indoor antenna). Excellent reception of all HD channels in the DFW area. It's as good as the outdoor Winegard antenna I've had the last 4 years.

Thanks for the suggestion for the DB8. I saw this bundle deal at their site;

DB8 Antenna
Low Noise Amplifier
100' Coax. Cable
J Mount Bracket

Total price: $180.00

Does that seem like a good deal for my circumstances?

I just bought a Terk HDTVa yesterday at BestBuy (indoor antenna). Excellent reception of all HD channels in the DFW area. It's as good as the outdoor Winegard antenna I've had the last 4 years.

You don't know untill some of those channels changed in about a year, nothing beat an out door antenna. I had see lots area that Terk antenna work like crap.

Yeah, in this case, there's NO way an indoor antenna will work.

And Terk indoor antennas are about as bad as they get.

Yeah, in this case, there's NO way an indoor antenna will work.

And Terk indoor antennas are about as bad as they get.
Yep. I'm not looking for an indoor antenna. I have an amplified indoor antenna, and it picks up the same one station I can get with my 50-year old crappy antenna that was on the roof when I bought my house. That's why I'm looking for a good, quality outdoor antenna.

The reason I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on any antenna purchase is because I have lived in this town my whole life, and when I lived at home before my parents got cable, we used to have to futz with the antenna all the time to get the "local" stations without trying to decipher them through tons of snow. I wish there was some way I could purchase the antenna to see if it would work to my expectations, and my expectations aren't high. If I can get the (4) local networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX), I'd be thrilled and consider the antenna worth the investment.

I just have nightmares of spending $200+ and ending up with the same one OTA channel I can get now...

I just have nightmares of spending $200+ and ending up with the same one OTA channel I can get now...
I had great success with the CM4228 and CM7777 preamp that I just installed. SS went up 15 - 20 points on all channels.:D You could also look at the XG91. These two antennas are HIGHLY recommended on the AVS forum.

I had great success with the CM4228 and CM7777 preamp that I just installed. SS went up 15 - 20 points on all channels.:D You could also look at the XG91. These two antennas are HIGHLY recommended on the AVS forum.
Thanks for the report! That builds a little more confidence in me.

The CM4228 is highly regarded, but I don't have one to offer personal experience.

It sounds like you want some type of guarantee that if you buy something it will work for you. So would I. Unfortunately, such a guarantee doesn't exist.

I would first try going down to your local Radio Shack if you have one, and pick up their $29 UHF "deep fringe" antenna. I think the model number is U-75R. If it doesn't work, Radio Shack accepts returns (at least they used to). I think buy_it/try_it/return_it is the closest you'll come to any kind of guarantee.

Also realize that come early 2009 when the digital switchover is mandated, these UHF channels you need to pick up now may be replaced by VHF channels (depends on your area). I would not want to spend a ton of money on a UHF antenna that may be useless down the road. But I guess it's not the UHF antenna itself that will cost you a lot, cabling, mounting hardware, amplifier, etc. will be the bigger cost probably. And all that should still be usable. Maybe cost really isn't much of a factor.

Any UHF antenna will probably not be useless, but you may need to add a VHF to it IF your locals drop back to VHF in 2009.

Most channels are remaining UHF but some (usually 1-2 per DMA) will go back to VHF.

I found this thread somewhere on SatGuys. DIY HDTV antenna - Lumenlab
It is all about building your own HDTV antenna. It looks very easy to do and costs practically nothing. They are copying the DB2 and CM4228 designs. Very interesting thread.

I use a CM4228 with NO preamp here in the New Orleans area and I have rock solid performance at 25-30 miles, so if you want a better chance with the 50-60 mile setup go ahead and get the CM preamp with the 4228 antenna and you will be covered. :up

50-60 miles is a long way though, especially in a valley. Might be dicey. But hey, give it a shot.

Can you get the Biloxi stations also? I'm thinking about two 4228s one aimed at NO and the other at Bilox.
rdel

I found this thread somewhere on SatGuys. DIY HDTV antenna - Lumenlab
It is all about building your own HDTV antenna. It looks very easy to do and costs practically nothing. They are copying the DB2 and CM4228 designs. Very interesting thread.

Works great ... here are a couple I have made.

Attachments

• IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    443.9 KB · Views: 191
Yep. I'm not looking for an indoor antenna. That's why I'm looking for a good, quality outdoor antenna.

I'd be thrilled and consider the antenna worth the investment.

16 bucks...gs 1100 non amp'd - all band tv amtenna...kicks butt on digital channels in my area, analog channels totally snowy!!

Just put up a CM4228 I'm about 45 miles from Richmond VA and the single is excellent. The HD is excellent.

I would buy the CM4228 again in a heart beat. Bought it off of ebay, pretty good price. Next just for kicks I think I am going to buy the 7777 preamp. Really don't need it but what the hey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts