Over The Air Channel Frequencies?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And the same will be happening here in Nashville, the new digital assignments will force channel 5 and 8 to a new frequency and from my contact he has just sent me this

"If you *do* have the same problem with channels 5 and 8...

The "magic number" for channel 5 is 79000.
The "magic number" for channel 8 is 179000.

So, hopefully all will be well in ATSC land :) I just love the quality of uncompressed HD :)

some stations are temporaily on UHF right now. Come June 12th/13th they will move to the same spot as where the analog channel was

OK, thanks. I knew that, but he had me confused, as it sounded like he said they were moving channels 5 and 8 when I knew that they were staying on the original spots. But I see what he meant now.

examples
Here in Minneapolis Fox is on 9 and NBC is on 11 analog. Digital they are on 26 & 35

come 6/12 or 6/13 they are shutting down the digital stations and moving to 9 & 11 and be digital there. So in markets like mine where we have used a UHF only antenna for digital for 6-9 years now we may need a VHF/UHF antenna

alot of VHF Hi stations are moving the digital channels to 7-13.

So they've been broadcasting on VHF and UHF for 6-9 years there? Wow, I didn't realize that digital channels have been around for 9 years! I thought all that dual illumination stuff was just supposed to be a temporary transition thing, but 6-9 years sounds pretty expensive for a transition. Seems like the ones around here have been here for maybe 3-4 years, but maybe it's been longer, I can't remember. I'll have to look back and see when I bought my Air2PC card.

yep...most of the Minneapolis stations have been dual illuminated since 2000 or earlier. Found that our PBS stations have been on since 99.

The Twin Cities Public Television station has been on analog channel 17 since 1965 and digital channel 16 since 1999.

I know the Big 4 have been in both since 2001 for sure and CW & My were later on. CW was the only station that shut down on 2/17/09...the rest panicked and waited until 6/12

After the Transistion, All is Well! CS8100 OTA

I thought I'd post an update of my CS8100 post transition... and I am pleased to say, I am receiving all the OTA Digital channels post transition. It took a bit of work, I scanned from about 70000 to the end with 1000 incraments, it picked up 90% of the channels, then ,I manually inserted the channels I had frequencies of and manually scanned them and finally they found them.

I think one of the problems with the CS ATSC tuner scan is it is to fast and does not give the receiver enough time to lock in to the signal, but manually inserting the channel start postion and scanning I got all the channels,

Like I said, the CS8100 as a OTA PVR for full HD info is great ..

Dave

.... CW was the only station that shut down on 2/17/09...the rest panicked and waited until 6/12

Around here, PBS shut down analog & replaced it with digital back in January, about a month before the initial deadline. The three main networks initially said that they were going to shut down anyway, when they extended the Feb deadline, since they were as ready as they'd ever be, however then there was some federal mandate to the effect that at least one station in any viewing area must remain in analog as a public safety measure. Since they apparently couldn't decide which station would remain analog during a period when prime time viewing shares were at stake, they apparently all decided to stay analog, rather than give another station an advantage. They probably should have made the deadline during the summer re-run season anyway, but the extension from Feb to June was a joke, just a political stunt not supported by any logic.

Like I said, the CS8100 as a OTA PVR for full HD info is great ..

My 8100 gave me a bit of a problem, in that the transition here required one channel that was transitioning on UHF to come back to VHF when the VHF analog terminated. My other two channels remained UHF, and they scanned in fine, however that VHF channel did NOT scan in properly. Ie it's channel 8, and 8.2 SD scanned in, but 8.1 HD didn't scan in. I tried about 50 times with no luck. My Diamond 9000, Air2PC card, and my Samsung TV all scanned the channels in fine. I eventually gave up with the Coolsat on Friday, but tried again yesterday, and finally got it to scan in.
I'm convinced that it's a multipath problem, partly because the S/Q bars were jumping around like crazy on this channel, even though most of the time they were up in the 90% area. Multipath is more of an issue on VHF. I eventually had to aim my antenna about 90 deg off the actual direction of the station to find a direction where one of the paths dominated.
But anyway, until this switchover, I was in agreement that the 8100 performed very well on OTA ATSC, but this demonstrated to me that apparently despite having a nice sensitive tuner, that it may be TOO sensitive, thus making it susceptable to multipath.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts