Pittsburgh HD locals breaking up

59allstate

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
hi everyone-

i have a 622 and recently had Pittsburgh HD locals added - with a new dish 500+ installed.

the bad news is the hd locals break up to pixels nearly with every change in scene. Not bad enought to make you want to change the channel, but annoying enough that it drives me and my wife crazy. occassionaly, we get bigger freezes of 5-10 seconds. this usually occurs at pivitol points in my wife's favorite shows... making matters worse.

my question is: does anyone else expereince this and is it a 622 issue or a signal issue or something else? Is it worth calling dish and clawing my way thru tech suppport?

Thanks,
Nate

Nate, I was just going to issue a post, but I read yours, same problem, no answers, but maybe will find one.

The HD locals are on Sat 118.7, transponders 15 and 16, the signal strength is, and I’ve told that these are good numbers for the Pittsburgh HD locals?
15 is 66%
16 is 58%
I’ve notice a lot picture pixelization on the 622 when viewing HD local programs, and yesterday when I was checking the 622 rev/fwd problem I stumble upon strange info. I was in the menu and I notice System Info #3, so I selected it, and the scan to check Sat. signal began for 119, 110, 129, and 118. Upon completion Sat signals were ok on 119, 110, 129, except 118 was in red; error was noted and said select details. In details it noted there was a total of 48 signal loses today, interesting, maybe the signal strength is low? I went and did the same check on the 211, and more interesting, no errors, 118 just fine, in details, just 2 signal loses today. Now I wonder if the entire 622 pixel on the HD locals is from 118 signal lost, but why no problems on the 211.
So I swapped receiver locations, the 622 connected in 211 location still showed an error on 118, the 211 in the 622 connection A OK.
Not sure what the test told me, maybe a bad 622 receive, a more sensitive tuner, or a weaker tuner than the 211??
slowlane

Nate, I was just going to issue a post, but I read yours, same problem, no answers, but maybe will find one.

The HD locals are on Sat 118.7, transponders 15 and 16, the signal strength is, and I’ve told that these are good numbers for the Pittsburgh HD locals?
15 is 66%
16 is 58%
I’ve notice a lot picture pixelization on the 622 when viewing HD local programs, and yesterday when I was checking the 622 rev/fwd problem I stumble upon strange info. I was in the menu and I notice System Info #3, so I selected it, and the scan to check Sat. signal began for 119, 110, 129, and 118. Upon completion Sat signals were ok on 119, 110, 129, except 118 was in red; error was noted and said select details. In details it noted there was a total of 48 signal loses today, interesting, maybe the signal strength is low? I went and did the same check on the 211, and more interesting, no errors, 118 just fine, in details, just 2 signal loses today. Now I wonder if the entire 622 pixel on the HD locals is from 118 signal lost, but why no problems on the 211.
So I swapped receiver locations, the 622 connected in 211 location still showed an error on 118, the 211 in the 622 connection A OK.
Not sure what the test told me, maybe a bad 622 receive, a more sensitive tuner, or a weaker tuner than the 211??
slowlane
That dish may be misaligned....Sigs are missing...before you get heavily involved in re-peaking the dish stand behind the dish and look to see if there are any obstructions such as buildings, trees etc...If that's not the case then the dish is most likely misaligned....If you do nt know how or are going to wing it, do yourself a favor..Don't do it..
Attempt to re-peak the dish only if you know what you are doing...Good luck

dishcomm

I installed my previous dish 500, and one to 61.5, thanks for the suggestion of re-peaking my 1000+, funny how we sometime never think of the obvious. Quick question, do you use transponder 11 for 119, and since Pittsburgh hd is on 15 & 16, 16 being my worse signal, i thought i would try tweaking it first? thanks

dishcomm

I installed my previous dish 500, and one to 61.5, thanks for the suggestion of re-peaking my 1000+, funny how we sometime never think of the obvious. Quick question, do you use transponder 11 for 119, and since Pittsburgh hd is on 15 & 16, 16 being my worse signal, i thought i would try tweaking it first? thanks
Initially..peak on 119...Then fine tune on the 118.....110 shouldn't be a problem once you've got the other two peaked..Look at 119 tp's 11,19 and 20..On 118 look at TP's 3 and 12.....

That dish may be misaligned....Sigs are missing...before you get heavily involved in re-peaking the dish stand behind the dish and look to see if there are any obstructions such as buildings, trees etc...If that's not the case then the dish is most likely misaligned....If you do nt know how or are going to wing it, do yourself a favor..Don't do it..
Attempt to re-peak the dish only if you know what you are doing...Good luck

Don't be thrown off by the "look angle" of the dish due to the offset LNB. The dish is actually "looking" higher up in the sky than you think.

Not the best weather today (cloudy/snow flakes) for repeaking the dish, but i gave it a try. I try first peaking 118:
old transp reading 15 is 66% new 66
old transp reading 16 is 58% new 67
I was able to achieve a better balance between the 2 transp, maybe this will help the pixel. DishComm check transp 3 was 75sig, there is no 12 on 118. I checked 119 and it improved, transp11 a 105sig-19& 20 to 102sig.
I found Dish 1000+ say a little more sensitive to adjust, and and I believe that all she has for 118. Any of you Steeler have signal readings for 118, transponders 15 and 16?

Don't be thrown off by the "look angle" of the dish due to the offset LNB. The dish is actually "looking" higher up in the sky than you think.
Yes, thank you..That is a very good point....It is best to stand behind the dish then align the look angle with the mast, not the polar arm...This is done by drawing an imaginary line thru the mast perpendicular to the earth....

Hey Nick and Allstate want is your signal strength on 118, transponders 15 and 16.
Dish customer service sent me a replacement 622 to try (very kind of them), but I told them I have my doubts that its the receiver, especially since Nick's post. Sounds like start-up problem, or just maybe not enough juice from 118, on transponders 15 and 16?

XTSY is blocked in my city

NHL Center Ice Renewal...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)