PLEASE HELP, dvr 625 freezes when transferring to pocketdish av700e

hotlicks

Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
florida
I have a dvr 625 and a pocketdish av700 e. When I try to transfer shows from the dvr to the pocket dish they start to transfer and then just do nothing. Almost like they freeze up. I tried to do a 5 minute show and it downloaded to 55 seconds and froze. Any help os greatly appreciated.

update

Just got off the phone with the pocket dish people and they said they have received numerous calls from customers with the same issue and it is related to a firmware update that dish network did about a month ago. Called dishnetwork and they have no record of an existing issue and no solution. Hope someone can help me.

I'm having the same problem!!!

I'm having the exact same problem - transfer starts then freezes. I have a DVR 625 and a pocketdish av500e. I called Dish first and they said to call Archos. I called Archos and they said basically I was out of luck since they no longer support the Pocketdish. The tech at Archos that I spoke with also said they had gotten several calls about the problem but he wasn't sure what the cause was.

I hope someone has suggestions on any possible solutions. I thought if maybe I could copy the files to something else, then to my PC, then back to the Pocketdish, then maybe that might work.

I really like my Pocketdish - a great way to catch up on show while riding the metro to work (or waiting in the airport)! And, to off-load shows from the DVR when it starts getting full.

I hate to think something Dish did has basically rendered this device useless!

Same here!

I am having the same problem as well. I have tried everything on DishNetwork's troubleshooting page. I am going to send them an email cuz I don't have the patience right now to be on the phone with tech support. Any ideas or new information is GREATLY appreciated as I too use the PocketDish to catch up on shows!!!!

Update

Chatted with Tech Support online for DishNetwork and was told: "I went through and looked our known issues and it has been updated with a known issue for this. We will be updating the software as soon as possible to fix this issue." When I asked when I could expect to see the update, he could not tell me and told me to stay in contact with them to find out when it is complete. Keep your fingers crossed!

Chatted with Tech Support online for DishNetwork and was told: "I went through and looked our known issues and it has been updated with a known issue for this. We will be updating the software as soon as possible to fix this issue." When I asked when I could expect to see the update, he could not tell me and told me to stay in contact with them to find out when it is complete. Keep your fingers crossed!

Regular tech support will never know when software is slated to be released. There are only 2 teams in tech that know this and neither of them could tell you if they wanted to. It's a major security issue. The issue has been addressed and will be solved shortly but please be patient.

Dish new smart card + pocketdish = not compatible.

I have done a lot of research on this issue and found out that this problem originated with the new dish network smart card. It is no longer compatible with the pocketdish. Archos has not developed software for the pocketdish since June 2006, and the current software is outdated for the new smart card. I spoke with an Archos Tech and he basically said the software may be updated and it may not. It is simply not a priority for Archos since the pocketdish has been discontinued.

May not just be the smart card

I think the problem may be more than just the new smart card. I got my new card in November 2008, and I have a few programs from February 2009 that I was able to download to my Pocket Dish. I had problems in February if I tried to download more than 1 program at a time, but I eventually got a few to download. It wasn't until early March that I could not download anything at all.

I've had my AV700e since june 2006 have always had my 622 and recntly a 722. Both will transfer with no problem. Both receivers have the purple smart card. Never have had any transfer issues with my poceket dish??

Seems to be issue with 625 receivers

The two of us that are having problems have 625 receivers, not 622 or 722. My smartcard looks like it might be purple (I don't want to take it out to look, but I can see some purple), and it has G3 in the right corner.

Maybe it's only an issue with some but not all receivers.

The two of us that are having problems have 625 receivers, not 622 or 722. My smartcard looks like it might be purple (I don't want to take it out to look, but I can see some purple), and it has G3 in the right corner.

Maybe it's only an issue with some but not all receivers.

Has nothing to do with the smart card update. Software vs firmware. Big difference.

:)

I have the dvr 522 and pocketdish av700e. I am having the same problem as the rest of you. I actually had almost this same problem happen back in 2007, back then when i would try to copy the programs to the pocketdish the dvr 522 would do it for maybe 5 or 10 minutes then it would shut down and reboot. It was very hard to get dish network to acknowlage it was a software problem but they finally did and it took them about 3 weeks to fix the problem. This time though it has taken a month already and still no fix. I can see they tried to fix it but failed (i could tell they did a software patch or something because some of the menu options have changed) but i still have the same software version, L532GALD-N, that i had when i first started having this problem. April 1st was the first day that i was unable to copy programs anymore. I took my pocketdsih to my dad's house, he has dvr 625 software version L5321GALD-N and i had no problem copying stuff from his dvr. I think the only thing we can do it keep calling dish network over and over untill they finally fix it. That is what i had to do back in 2007. Oh by the way i also have a smart card that i was using for like a month or 2 before i had any problems with the pocketdish and back in 2007 i had no smart card at all, so i think that the smart card does not cause this problem. I hope to see someone on here soon come back and say finally problem solved. Everytime i call dish network tech support, those first level techs usually can not help me. I have even gotten some say "what is a pocketdish" the only ones that every actually understand what i am talking about are the level 2 techs, i'm not really sure what they are called Advanced tech maybe but whatever, they are a level above the ones you usually talk to when you first call.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of an update yet for the download probem, but I agree that the smart card itself may not have caused the problem (I just inserted my new smart card today). I believe it was the software update in March or April that caused my problems. Orginally, I did not have the smart card but I was getting messages on my 625dvr receiver to update the smart card. I have two 625dvrs and only one was receiving the udated smart card message. Since I did not have a smart card, I called Dish Network and they put in a "fix" until I would receive the smart card and so the messages would go away. Well, I don't know if the fix caused the problems or something else, but around the end of March or the first of April, I was no longer able to download programs to my pocketdishes. Whatever happened it affected both my 625dvrs and I was no longer able to download from either of them even though only one was due for a smart card update. I also have two av500e and one av700e. None of them are downloading from either of my 625dvrs!

I am having the same problem for the last 2 months with my av500. Isnt there some kind of law that companies that make or promote such devices must keep the software (firmware) up to date and usable to to user for a period of at least 5 years? If so either archos or dish need a lawsuit directed their way. I didnt buy this thing to be out of my hard earned money in 2 years!:tux:

Come to think of it long before the 722 was available i had a freeze up issue with my 622 and after a sofware fix update things worked fine. But that was when archos would give support for the 500E & 700E pocketdish. Like they usually tell us, have to wait for the software fix. The sad part is I think the 625 and 522 use USB 1.0 not 2.0 like the vip receivers do. Along with software problems this may be part of the issue also. Don't know am grasping for straws too.

E really needs to look at itself like a SUBSCRIBER DOES if it wonders why its losing subs........

My box works, oh now it reboots, oh jeez its frozen, the audio isnt synced to the video, oh now it pixeling a lot........

all of these and more lead to lost subscribers.........

E is anyone home?

granted this is a niche item but its just another sign of a systemic long term problem

Looks like all who have a 625 or 522 won't have to worry about transfer problems. With the TIVO vs. Dish lawsuit all 522 625 721 921 942 501 508 dvr's will be deactivated in 30 days. Tranfer problem solved but, don't know how much upgrade fees will be?? for a 622 or 722

Regular tech support will never know when software is slated to be released. There are only 2 teams in tech that know this and neither of them could tell you if they wanted to. It's a major security issue. The issue has been addressed and will be solved shortly but please be patient.

DishGuise, since you're so in the know, is this issue limited to the 625 DVR? I have this problem (or something similar) with my 625, but am considering an HD/722 upgrade. Will the 722 have the same problem? (others seem to report it doesn't. that would be nice.)

CT

Dish acknowledges this as known issue

I chatted with a tech tonight at Dish tech web site (too noob to type it here) who confirmed this is on known issues list for 625 DVR 'and other like DVR receiver'. Happened at last download (in March), and engineering is working on fix for next download (no time frame). I asked him to check the 722 known issues list, and he says it's not on there. I think it's time for me to upgrade.

I have a workaround for now

I've been using the video recorder feature on the pocket dish to transfer stuff from the DVR. I hooked up the video recorder "pod" (that round thing that came with the pocket dish) to the TV2 av connections. While I'm watching on TV1, I'm recording to the pocket dish from TV2. You can set the video recorder to stop after a specified period of time, so since you already know how long the show is you want to record, you can set it up and walk away. I've "transferred" three movies and about 7 more hours of shows in the last 2-3 days. It's a lot more trouble than the direct transfer, but at least I can get the shows onto the pocket dish.

Hopefully they'll eventually fix it, but I'm glad I figured this out - I don't feel like my "gadget" is just a waste.

Jane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)