Post what DirecTV retention offered you!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Read this site and you will learn a lot of that.
You ordered a Genie, you got a Genie, you cannot be given a guarantee of which one you get a 34 or a 44.
Just the way they do it, Yes It would be nice to be able to get exactly the recvr you want and you can, but you have to go other routes to do it.

The point I was making is I was outright lied to by the D tv customer retention dept new 44 vs used 34. I have spent time on this site, what do you mean by other routes

Directv can't authorize which receiver you can get over the phone.
Only way to do so is go through retailer which you didn't want to do because you are replacing.
Not sure if you were given the option to have it rolled to you or not.
If so you could have refused when the tech arrived.
Good chance a tech would have a 44 on his truck.

Reactions: Jimbo
Only way to do so is go through retailer which you didn't want to do because you are replacing.
Exactly !

One of the reasons I decided to finally dump satellite after more than 20 years between DISH and DirecTV.

I have been badmouthing Mediacom quite a bit here. But they offered me a package that included three-room HD TiVo service, an additional non-HD outlet for a buck, phone, faster Internet and a year of HBO -- all for $50 or so less per month than what I pay DirecTV alone, with price increases to come.

Losing some sports (Mediacom doesn't carry MLB, NBA or NHL channels, out-of-market teams, BeIn Sports and most overflow EPL channels and all UEFA channels). But I get all our local sub-channels on every TV, which I don't get with DirecTV, and Roku and Chromecast make up for others. Was already subscribing to MLB.TV and NHL GameCentre, so there's no additional monthly expense for those leagues.

Install is scheduled for tomorrow.

All my best to all sat subs everywhere, and who knows -- I could rejoin y'all in 90 days if what I get is crappy. But looking at friends' homes who have the service, I think I am going to like it--as well as not losing picture during heavy rain or snow, and no longer having to go up on the roof to clear ice off the dish.

Lesson here: I said I'd never go back to cable. Never say never.

One of the reasons I decided to finally dump satellite after more than 20 years between DISH and DirecTV.

I have been badmouthing Mediacom quite a bit here. But they offered me a package that included three-room HD TiVo service, an additional non-HD outlet for a buck, phone, faster Internet and a year of HBO -- all for $50 or so less per month than what I pay DirecTV alone, with price increases to come.

Losing some sports (Mediacom doesn't carry MLB, NBA or NHL channels, out-of-market teams, BeIn Sports and most overflow EPL channels and all UEFA channels). But I get all our local sub-channels on every TV, which I don't get with DirecTV, and Roku and Chromecast make up for others. Was already subscribing to MLB.TV and NHL GameCentre, so there's no additional monthly expense for those leagues.

Install is scheduled for tomorrow.

All my best to all sat subs everywhere, and who knows -- I could rejoin y'all in 90 days if what I get is crappy. But looking at friends' homes who have the service, I think I am going to like it--as well as not losing picture during heavy rain or snow, and no longer having to go up on the roof to clear ice off the dish.

Lesson here: I said I'd never go back to cable. Never say never.
As long as it turns out to be as good as you are expecting :).
Curious, you said you didn't get all your sports channels on all D* recvrs, Why Not ?
You should get all the programming on All recvrs on your account.

They have been saying this for years, but to some degree they can (or could).
Back when 3d was coming out and D* carried them, they could at the least make the distinction for hr-21 (wasnt that the lowest model) and up if you had a 20 and wanted 3d.

I also have once called to replace an ailing hr model and specifically requested a 20 for the built in tuner. Not only is that what I got, but the online order confirmation stated HR-20.

They have been saying this for years, but to some degree they can (or could).
Back when 3d was coming out and D* carried them, they could at the least make the distinction for hr-21 (wasnt that the lowest model) and up if you had a 20 and wanted 3d.

I also have once called to replace an ailing hr model and specifically requested a 20 for the built in tuner. Not only is that what I got, but the online order confirmation stated HR-20.
However there is a reason for that.
At that time there was only certain models that could handle 3D, as well as OTA (hr20's), without the am21 add on.

The receiver in my kitchen was a non-HD non-DVR, and it couldn't get some channels that were HD only.
As long as it turns out to be as good as you are expecting :).
Curious, you said you didn't get all your sports channels on all D* recvrs, Why Not ?
You should get all the programming on All recvrs on your account.

The receiver in my kitchen was a non-DVR, non-HD model, and it couldn't get some channels that apparently were HD only.

The receiver in my kitchen was a non-HD non-DVR, and it couldn't get some channels that were HD only.

The receiver in my kitchen was a non-DVR, non-HD model, and it couldn't get some channels that apparently were HD only.
Of course not .... if they were all HD Capable, you would have had all channels available on all recvrs.
I hadn't considered that some were SD.

Last year when I switched from Dish to Direct it was recommended from members here to ask for the HR44 when ordering as a new customer which I did. It was noted in my email confirmation that I requested a HR44 Genie & when the tech came he showed me on his work order that he should not start the job unless he had a HR44 available, which he did. He even said if I didn't specifically mentioned it at time of order or before he started the installation he would've installed the HR34 because that was the default receiver at the time. I guess D* has refurbished these HR34s by upgrading them somehow to fix the glitches they were known for before, which maybe the reason why they're still installing these older receivers.

I have been with Direct TV for over 12 years now. During this time, I have always found the retention department to be accommodating in helping me keep the costs down on my service. This month, I had $25 in monthly credits expire on my account. My account is also no longer in any contract. With the expiration of these credits, the cost of my service would have increased a little over 25%. My first couple of calls, only resulted in an offer of a $5 monthly credit on my account to "offset" the $25 that would be dropping off. I scheduled for my service to be disconnected and then had to call back to have it rescheduled. During this call, I was told to hold off and try back after my last bill with the credits on them as she told me new credits would not show up until the current ones expire. Today I called back one last time. The best offer I was given was $15 in monthly credits and there was no urgency on their part to try and keep me as a customer. Even with these credits, my bill would still be higher than it would be if I switched to Dish and paid their standard, non-introductory prices. Needless to say, I will be switching to Dish. With AT&T purchasing them, combined with the high price paid to retain the NFL package, I suspect DirectTV will place emphasis on a higher revenue per subscriber even if it results in fewer subscribers. This does not bode well to those of us who have been loyal subscribers for a long time!

Reactions: madmadworld
I have been with Direct TV for over 12 years now. During this time, I have always found the retention department to be accommodating in helping me keep the costs down on my service. This month, I had $25 in monthly credits expire on my account. My account is also no longer in any contract. With the expiration of these credits, the cost of my service would have increased a little over 25%. My first couple of calls, only resulted in an offer of a $5 monthly credit on my account to "offset" the $25 that would be dropping off. I scheduled for my service to be disconnected and then had to call back to have it rescheduled. During this call, I was told to hold off and try back after my last bill with the credits on them as she told me new credits would not show up until the current ones expire. Today I called back one last time. The best offer I was given was $15 in monthly credits and there was no urgency on their part to try and keep me as a customer. Even with these credits, my bill would still be higher than it would be if I switched to Dish and paid their standard, non-introductory prices. Needless to say, I will be switching to Dish. With AT&T purchasing them, combined with the high price paid to retain the NFL package, I suspect DirectTV will place emphasis on a higher revenue per subscriber even if it results in fewer subscribers. This does not bode well to those of us who have been loyal subscribers for a long time!
Att buying them will not really have much to do with any of what you mentioned.
I suspect that Att will do thier thing and D* will continue to run the business side of things as they have.

Att buying them will not really have much to do with any of what you mentioned.
I suspect that Att will do thier thing and D* will continue to run the business side of things as they have.

Your right in the fact there is no way of truly knowing what is driving their change in tone. However, I can tell you that in my case, there was very little effort to keep me on. I had never experienced this tone previously. A stark change in this attitude usually come from higher management, not the people on the phones. It costs a great deal of money to get customers, yet It appears Directv will be less willing to lower programming costs to keep its customers. I will say that they were willing to offer different equipment provided I gave them a two year commitment.

Your right in the fact there is no way of truly knowing what is driving their change in tone. However, I can tell you that in my case, there was very little effort to keep me on. I had never experienced this tone previously. A stark change in this attitude usually come from higher management, not the people on the phones. It costs a great deal of money to get customers, yet It appears Directv will be less willing to lower programming costs to keep its customers. I will say that they were willing to offer different equipment provided I gave them a two year commitment.
Of course they are gonna want a commitment if your gonna get thier newer equipment, they have to know that your gonna stick around if they are gonna give you the expensive recvrs.

Of course they are gonna want a commitment if your gonna get thier newer equipment, they have to know that your gonna stick around if they are gonna give you the expensive recvrs.
ROLL TIDE.

Directv does not GIVE you expensive receivers. Unlike cell phone companies that give you a new phone with a two year commitment, Directv receivers are in essence loaned to you and must be returned when you cancel your service. I have already been informed that with my cancellation, arrangements will be made to return the equipment. These receivers will then be checked over and if necessary refurbished, repackaged and sent out to another customer. Over the life of the equipment, I would venture to say that each piece of equipment nets a significant profit for Directv when you factor in the additional receiver fees and advanced receiver fees they charge. I acknowledge there is some cost for the installation, but a two year commitment, in my case valued at over $2400, is something that definitely works in their favor.

If you think AT&T will not have an impact on Directv, take note that gross profit margins for Directv are around 50% of revenue. AT&T has gross profit margins closer to 60%. I believe Directv will move closer to AT&Ts gross margins as this is what shareholders will expect and this means more out of pocket for each subscriber.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)