Post what DirecTV retention offered you!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You guys that got a $200 prepaid card MUST be on the higher level channel packages, I am on a lower channel package and the most I can get is $15 off per month.
Did you set a cancel date and wait for a call or e-mail from their win back division. If you just call in you won't get much.

If you actually set a cancel date for several weeks out they will call or send you an e-mail offering a lot more than that. Be ready to really cancel though, one person set up a cancel date a week out and they cancelled him that night. He had to wait for several days with no TV before they offered him the new deals.

So how the heck do you get an offer that's great without them cancelling your service that night?

Only way I know is to get in contact with the Retention dept ... also you want to make SURE that it IS the Retention dept when you talk to them.
I went through retentions when I set up my cancel date for two weeks out. The rep was very aggressive about talking me out of cancelling and sounded angry when I wanted to cancel anyway. The next morning I woke up to no TV, the jerk had canceled me that night. Fortunately I was able to call in to the winback department and get reinstated with all the new customer perks. 99.9 percent of people setting up a cancel date in the future have no problems and are offered the deals without canceling. Just be aware they can screw you.

I went through retentions when I set up my cancel date for two weeks out. The rep was very aggressive about talking me out of cancelling and sounded angry when I wanted to cancel anyway. The next morning I woke up to no TV, the jerk had canceled me that night. Fortunately I was able to call in to the winback department and get reinstated with all the new customer perks. 99.9 percent of people setting up a cancel date in the future have no problems and are offered the deals without canceling. Just be aware they can screw you.
Mistakes happen ....
Also, keep in mind, how often do you think people call in to cancel and only want free credits .... it happens every day.
It's probably a good thing I don't work in tyhat dept as I would probably get tired of the scherade the subs try and cancel them too.

Mistakes happen ....
Also, keep in mind, how often do you think people call in to cancel and only want free credits .... it happens every day.
It's probably a good thing I don't work in tyhat dept as I would probably get tired of the scherade the subs try and cancel them too.
In my case I had already set up an install with my local cable co. and wanted to cancel Directv. After they cut me off I called in to get service for a few days until the cable co. could hook me up. That is when they offered me a better deal than the cable co.

In my case I had already set up an install with my local cable co. and wanted to cancel Directv. After they cut me off I called in to get service for a few days until the cable co. could hook me up. That is when they offered me a better deal than the cable co.
Unfortunately they often wait too long to make the best offer.

(Maybe) the last word: Never say never. I still have my DirecTV dish on my roof. With Mediacom promotional prices expiring after a year or so, I'm anticipating paying attention to winback offers. This may be the new normal if you want to keep costs reasonable.

Is there any shot in getting a decent deal when your first year is up?

It probably won't take that long, back when a guide update removed all locals from my 3 series Tivos. I was out of contract and after waiting 6 weeks for them to fix it I finally asked for a genie and 2 minis to replace them, and I would have happily signed up for 2 more years. All they would do was offer me 1 dvr and a new commitment.

So I sent and email and told them it was the last chance to either get locals back on my Tivos or send me replacement equipment, or I would be forced to cancel my account as I really wanted locals back. Well the reply to my email was that in order to help me out they were canceling my account as of midnight that night so that I wouldn't need to call in and cancel.

So I called Dish and had it set up the next day (which was a Saturday). Then on Sunday Directv called me up and said that if I come back I would get a genie up to 3 minis, new customer pricing and Sunday ticket, I had to tell them it was too late and was way more than I originally wanted.

Now 3 years later I still get monthly come back offers with all new customer promotions and $200 Visa card.

It probably won't take that long, back when a guide update removed all locals from my 3 series Tivos. I was out of contract and after waiting 6 weeks for them to fix it I finally asked for a genie and 2 minis to replace them, and I would have happily signed up for 2 more years. All they would do was offer me 1 dvr and a new commitment.

So I sent and email and told them it was the last chance to either get locals back on my Tivos or send me replacement equipment, or I would be forced to cancel my account as I really wanted locals back. Well the reply to my email was that in order to help me out they were canceling my account as of midnight that night so that I wouldn't need to call in and cancel.

So I called Dish and had it set up the next day (which was a Saturday). Then on Sunday Directv called me up and said that if I come back I would get a genie up to 3 minis, new customer pricing and Sunday ticket, I had to tell them it was too late and was way more than I originally wanted.

Now 3 years later I still get monthly come back offers with all new customer promotions and $200 Visa card.

That's what happened to me last time. I cancelled and the next day I got calls all day. Finally answered and was offered new customer pricing. At that time my year was up with them. I said it would have been nice if you guys offered that at the beginning.

Reactions: darrengs
Yikes my bill is going to $100 in a few months! Hope they can offer me something to stay. Dropping channel packages won't do since the channels we watch are in the higher up package we have now.

Yikes my bill is going to $100 in a few months! Hope they can offer me something to stay. Dropping channel packages won't do since the channels we watch are in the higher up package we have now.
If it makes any difference, many/most of us are well over $100 p/m I believe. Of course that includes recvrs and fees , not just programming, I'm thinking your talking about a total.

I'm wondering if I should wait past my one year with them to ask for discounts? I'm still on the hook for 200.00 with them if I leave.

I plan on calling in soon, what I am wondering though is unless they give me some kind of ridiculous offer to stay, I actually will cancel, whats the process then? Do I pay the ETF and final bill right over the phone, or do they mail me a final bill, or what goes on? We are going to try cutting the cord and see how it works for the summer, and we figured worse comes to worse and we don't like not having it, we'll sign up in the fall for some kind of service, be it satellite or cable co.

I plan on calling in soon, what I am wondering though is unless they give me some kind of ridiculous offer to stay, I actually will cancel, whats the process then? Do I pay the ETF and final bill right over the phone, or do they mail me a final bill, or what goes on? We are going to try cutting the cord and see how it works for the summer, and we figured worse comes to worse and we don't like not having it, we'll sign up in the fall for some kind of service, be it satellite or cable co.

No it's billed to the next bill I beleive .

I received a letter from DTV asking me to comeback. It said I was to receive NFL ticket 2015, reduced pricing on the ultimate package, AND a $200 Visa Prepaid Card. When I called the rep and he said the $200 Visa Prepaid Card offer was no longer available for my account even though the invitation I received said the offer ends on May 27, 2015. I was pretty upset but kept my cool. I will call back before the 27th and see what they can do for me.

Anyone else getting the $200 Visa Prepaid Card offer? Mail in redemption and advanced equipment was required which I am willing to do.

Thanks, Brad

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts