Post Your Dish Hopper Install Experience: Did You Survive?

Manually run a check switch if you haven't already. This happened on my install -- no sat locations where stored although it was in a "reception verified" state. Once the check switch finished and sat locations were populated it worked perfectly.

I had 2 hoppers and 2 joeys installed today. They said they fried the first one because of the wrong kind of 118 dish, coming tomorrow with a different one. They were 5 hours on the install. Did a great job explaining everything to this old man. Had one glitch on App page and had to restart. Everything else is ok. Tomorrow I get my internationals back. Love the new look.

Manually run a check switch if you haven't already. This happened on my install -- no sat locations where stored although it was in a "reception verified" state. Once the check switch finished and sat locations were populated it worked perfectly.
It verifies 4 of 4 on all three satellite inputs.

Here's a few questions i came up with for people who have finished installation:
1) How many Hopper/Joeys were installed?
2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys
2) Were you able to get the best promotional price for the Hopper system?
$200 upfront
3) Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech, Retailer, or Third Party Contractor
Third Party Contractor, his first Duo Node install, second Hopper install overall, the local expert...
4) How long did the install take? hours? days?
two visits, first he had no Duo node so I sent him away, second took 7.5 hours.
5) What was the overall install experience?
frustrating
6) What problems did you have during the install?
Joeys couldn't download software
7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish?
One Joey only sees one of the Hoppers, other two Joeys see both Hoppers.
8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix?
One Joey only sees one of the Hoppers, other two Joeys see both Hoppers. Trying everything i can think of...
9) Anything else?
Nice system other than the one problem listed above, a little slow response on some tasks, PTAT a little buggy, overall a big improvement.
see above

Here's a few questions i came up with for people who have finished installation:

1H/1J
New sub - no charge.
3) Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech, Retailer, or Third Party Contractor
Two Dish technicians.
5 hours.
Well, the appt. timeframe was from noon to 5, and they showed up at 5.
The Joey wouldn't connect. Turns out one of the techs had wired the Solo node wrong (they said).
7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish?
None.
8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix?
None.
9) Anything else?​
I asked them to leave the Cox cable wiring alone, but it looks like they cut at least one cable.

Finally decided to give it ago... here's my results....

2 Hoppers/2 Joeys
Yes, $200 upgrade with free install for signing up for protection plan for 4 months ($24)
Third Party Contractor sent by Dish
3 Hours and 11 minutes
Pretty fantastic install for their first two hopper system in the area. 1 manager showed up along with someone who was training so they were able to hammer it out pretty well. The guys were pretty smart and had done three single hopper installs the day before. My knowledge along with his resulted in an install plan that was very clean. With some swapping of rooms by moving the hoppers into rooms that were closer to the dish, he even minimized the wall penetrations by moving the node outside. They replaced pretty much everything: New dish, new lines to the node near the wall penetration, and new lines to the hoppers. Only the two Joeys used the existing 20 year old RG6 home distribution runs. The installers properly grounded the system when the new wiring was run, which was another plus. I didn't realize how badly the original system was grounded.
Only major problem that happened was that they didn't have the duo node when they showed up in the morning, but that was a misunderstanding on the part of the person in their office. The office person just assumed that Dish screwed up the order thinking we were really getting 1 hopper/3 Joeys. They sent the installer out with a solo node instead. Good warning to anyone with a duo node is to make sure they have it on their truck when they call to tell you they are on their way (along with any other equipment you need). They were able to come out the same afternoon, so no huge time lost and the error was caught during the room walkthrough. Also my work order was screwed up by Dish and it didn't include the proper update to the dish itself so they had to fix that (even though I explained it to the chat CSR). They already had the right dish on the truck, so no big deal.
None and won't have any problems since the install was perfect.
Haven't had much time to play with it yet, but haven't found anything noticeable.
9) Anything else?
Hopper/Joey system is super fast. It whizzes through channels pretty quick. After the installers left i undid some old zipties from the previous installer and added a few of my own to make it a tiny bit cleaner, but these installers did a great job as is. It used to be a horrible mess with that DPP44 switch inside supplying the home distribution. With the node outside, it's so much cleaner. Plus, i now have an extra unused coax line run to those hopper rooms which might come in handy for mirroring purposes.

Last edited:
9) Anything else?​

1. 2 each
2. 215.00
3. Dish employee initial install, contractor did second day completion of linking Joeys
4. First day install 6.5 hrs, second day 1.5 hrs
5,6,7. Dish tech was good but inexperienced. Took 2 hrs to get hoppers activated. Screwed up the Joey install to the point where they would constantly try to link without downloading after resetting. Second day contractor replaced one Joey and ordered another from Dish. It gets here today.

About 2 hrs. 1 tech. Most time was spent waiting for the Hopper to download & install. Tech had everything ready, put in the node (about 15 min.) and unpacked (and packed the 722) while the Hopper did it's thing. He did call the office a couple of times to check on screen messages or delays.

2/2. I was going to just do 1 hopper 3 joeys but the installed suggested 2 and 2 and it really made more sense for me.
$200
Third party
5 hours - Only because after he recommended the additional hopper he had to go get it.
Great. This was his first install and he said he had no training at all. Also he was the first in the area to install 2 hoppers. But everything went off without a hitch.
None really
Notta
Nothing again
9) Anything else?
Was really impressed the guy went out of his way. Felt bad I only had $10 for a tip.

1/3

Yes, $100 + free install

Dish Network Tech

5 Hours

LONG. I thought it would be a nice and easy install. I was working so I didn't really know why it took so long, but oh well.

Joey's don't have component out, so I was required to put the hopper in the bedroom (due to old TV without HDMI) instead of family room. This required that a HIC be added, since I don't have an internet connection near my bedroom TV. Also, it took a couple of tries for the tech to get the hopper installed/software downloaded, etc.

He messed with my router and had disconnected an ethernet line that I use for Xbox. Easy fix. Also, my sling player is not currently working.

None

9) Anything else?
Seemed like a competent tech. He said that he had already done two other hopper/joey installs, and that all take longer than expected. He was definitely a 'by the books' kind of guy. didn't want to go on the roof to aim the dish, said it was against the rules if he couldn't reach it from the ladder. Asked me to lock away any pets i had before he got there, etc. Overall, a good experience.

1/1

$100 + $30 install (4 mos. of warranty service)

Dish Network Tech

Contractor: LinkUs

2 hours (1 tech)

Fairly smooth, a couple of delays involving downloads and reboots.

As above, and readily fixed.

DLNA is not fully active. Seems to be a universal issue. Once Hopper went into a self-test mode (but kept recording programming) for 4 minutes. Has
not repeated.

Maybe some minor things. I am still getting familiar with all the features.

9) Anything else?

Tech was good. Called if he was not sure of something, Said they one Hopper/Joey set up in the shop, but already programmed. So it is only
good for learning the overall functionality. There are few hoops to go through to get the initial download going, and finding out if the equipment
you have is going to work after the programming. But nothing he has not been able to handle.

The DNS installer couldn't get mine to work. I had to call the DNS 1800 number next day to finish the installation myself.

1 1H / 1J
2 $100
3 Self Installed (Although I frequently install for dish)
4 45 minutes (upgrading from 722 hooked to two rooms)
5 Everything went well
6 Only breif problem I had was figuring out how to get my surround sound receiver to work on the new remote
7-9 No other issues. Love the receiver

1/2

Yes, $100 + free install

Dish Network Tech

1.5 Hours

Excellent. Tech was friendly and knowledgeable

None really. Installer ran out of solo nodes before he got to me, but had one on the way. It arrived by the time he'd finished unboxing the Hopper and Joeys

None

None

9) Anything else?
Very happy with the install and the system. A really slick product.

2/2

$200 (free install)

Dish Network Tech

Contractor: AEI

3 hours first day 2 hours second day...3rd ?

First day not bad, but didn't have a duo node. and he tried starting up the joey without waiting till the hopper was live 2nd day not bad, tech didn't think it would work with the cable internet and only two lines coming in. but it did...but Joey will not link, going to leave it overnight and see what happens, if nothing will be a call for tomorrow.

As above...Hoping to get the 2nd joey up and running.

2nd Joey not linked

waiting for hoppers to be able to see each other :)

9) Anything else?

Hopefully the tech realize how important it is to wait till the hopper goes live before the installation of the joey. Would really eliminate a lot of problems.

Program Guide question

625 VS two 211K's for cost savings?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts