SuperJ2

Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Montreal, QC
Hey guys, I am having some problems receiving TuVes HD on Telstar 12
@15W.

MY details:

H/W: 76cm Winegard Ku offset dish
+ TechSAT TRACKER II+ LNB(0.2dB)/Smart Titanium Unv LNB (0.1dB)
+ Openbox S9 HD (latest FW: 11-4-4)

[swapping LNBs had practically no effect on results below, nor did changing Firmware on Openbox]

I am receiving most channels listed on LyngSat for Telstar 12 except for problems with 2 transponders (25/26) beaming TuVes HD signals:

11860 H (I managed get 6 channels 'unscrambled' out of 38?)
tp 25 TuVes HD DVB-S2
MPEG-4
Betacrypt 45000-?
8PSK

(Sig-Q ~ 5-75%)
11920 H (99% channels scrambled, except for blingblingmusic.tv)
tp 26 TuVes HD DVB-S2
MPEG-4
Betacrypt 45000-?
8PSK
(Sig-Q ~ 5-25+%)

I'm not sure if I am lacking signal strength/Q in order to maintain a decodable
signal for the very high symbol rates (45K+) or simply it is my receiver that is
unable to keep up? I noticed when I shutdown my receiver and reboot a short time after the channels come in fine for a few minutes and then quickly degrade until I can no longer watch and the signal meter goes erratic (ie. signal loss?).

[I have a hunch the Openbox might have a problem with HI-SR rates as it maxes out @45000]

This TP below however is very stable (yet all channels are scrambled)
11842 V
tp 33 TuVes HD DVB-S2
MPEG-4
Betacrypt 20000-? (symbol rate is less than 1/2 that of both other TPs)
8PSK
(Sig-Q ~ 65-70+%)
--------------------
Also I get NO trace of a signal for the TP below:
12167 H
tp 30 TDH
DVB-S2 45000-?
QPSK
-----------------------------------------------------------
Also noticed that my Openbox S9 HD has some problems with the 'blindscan'
as it was unable to detect these bottom frequencies:

11709/V/3195 0308 0256 MSNBC U.S. (Sig-Q ~ 50-65%)
11711/V/2800 0308 0256 TANDBERG 2 (Sig-Q ~ 40-60%)

I had to manually add them in my TP list.

(The BEEPER & BER config options also seem not to work)
-------------------------------------------------------
So in closing, I would really appreciate if anyone on this board could verify whether this is a TuVes HD signal (or Openbox S9 hardware) problem.

Thanks!

Jay

ps.: I am getting an additonal channel NOT listed on LyngSat: Tandberg CH2 from Israel. This seems to be the weakest channel I can reliably receive:

11711/V/2800 0308 0256 TANDBERG 2 (Sig-Q ~ 40-60%)
--------------------------------------------------
Telstar 12 at 15.0°W - LyngSat
TuVes HD on Telstar 12 at 15.0°W - LyngSat

i dont see the channel you are talking about listed anywhere....what TP is it on?

i read another thread on here and somebody said the openbox could not receive S/R over 30000 so that might be your problem....

my friend the openbox dont secane the two feeds dvbs2 45000 .I have the two feeds on the vantage vt1 vantage 1100 hd and azbox premium plus but my openbox missing the feeds on the 45000 to did not play the two feeds,No secan for openbox I live in toronto .are a box problem

I am awaiting another confirmation, but it does seem that there is indeed a problem with the Openbox S9 and high SRs (30000-45000). Hopefelly a future firmware update
will solve this -- but I might have to buy a different receiver if not fixed quickly! :(

I also found this here: "While it Cannot Play 4:2:2 Video and has Issues with playing Various High Bit Rate HD Signals without a Video Stutter or some Picture Freezing, for the Price, it is a Great BARGAIN." Openbox S9 Satellite Receiver

I'm receiving 116 channels from Telstar 12 in Michigan. 11 of them are ITC. Chilevision along with others have scanned in at SR 45000 on my OpenBox receiver. No problem with high SR here.

I've been looking for some NBC backhauls from London supposed to be on this sat. Anyone seen them?

Last edited:
Good to hear Pixl, and what is your signal quality on Chilevision? As for the 'scanning@45000', I have no problems -- just getting a stable decodable signal is the problem as it varies after only a few minutes between 5-75%Q -- yet the 11840V@20000SR-TP is always solid @70%Q.

According to this I only need a 70cm dish: http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=5470

May I ask what are your HW specs and also what FW version of Openbox you are using? If possible I'd like to get a DUMP file from your box to test in mine, Thanks!

ps. I am unfamiliar with the term ITC?

ITC=In The Clear (not scrambled)

My Q on Chilevision is 65 to 72%

FW is HDS2-10-07-11:072AMT

This is what was on the box when I bought it last September, nothing special, never upgraded it.

The dish I'm using is a stock HughesNet w/lnb. Approx. 33X22"

03-12-11_1525.jpg

I just tried your FW Pixl, and no change! The high SR channels start to go erratic after a few minutes and I must reboot the receiver in order to get them back. Today all TPs were @75%Q, yet same problems. It seems that as soon as there is a 'break' in continuity of the signal, the 'error-correction' does not adjust properly and the signal becomes unrecoverable. And just a quick wave of my hand in front of the LNB, or if a plane flys overhead in LOS the channel cannot recover @HI-SR. Thus, I am quite convinced I have some 'buggy' hardware. I doubt any FW update could solve this if I have a bad batch of chips in my box. :(

Ok, not so great today. We have some overcast coming thru and I'm getting some freezing on the TuVes channels. On a nice day I must be right on the thresh hold of "ok". Gona need a bigger dish!

I just tried your FW Pixl, and no change! The high SR channels start to go erratic after a few minutes and I must reboot the receiver in order to get them back. Today all TPs were @75%Q, yet same problems. It seems that as soon as there is a 'break' in continuity of the signal, the 'error-correction' does not adjust properly and the signal becomes unrecoverable. And just a quick wave of my hand in front of the LNB, or if a plane flys overhead in LOS the channel cannot recover @HI-SR. Thus, I am quite convinced I have some 'buggy' hardware. I doubt any FW update could solve this if I have a bad batch of chips in my box. :(

I doubt you have bad chips. I think the Chinese put the bare minimum amount of memory in this box to save a few yen. When my signal is less than perfect the memory gets clogged up with corrupt data and the picture freezes, and the sound gets slightly displaced. I switched over to my 1.2m dish tonight to watch the London feeds and it cleared all this crap up.

Yes, I think that is likely the problem...the 'memory buffer' is probably insufficient for the amount of data throughput at those HI-SRs and the error-correction cannot compensate. Again I doubt a FW update will fix this if a lack of memory is the root cause.

What are your settings (Frq/Pol/SR) for your London feeds... I'd like to see if I can spot them? Also what is you signal Q on (11711/V/2800 0308 0256 TANDBERG 2) it is my weakest TP?

The last 'wild feed' I saw was that from the Vatican for Easter @ 12002/V/6666 CTV???

Winegard_76cm.jpgSat_tandberg.jpgtvn-tuves_hd.jpgblingblingmusic.jpgtuves_hd_15w.jpg
blindscan-15W.jpg
pencil.png

I am having the same problem on the High symbol rates on telstar 15 west, they come in for a minute then blank.

I am having the same problem on the High symbol rates on telstar 15 west, they come in for a minute then blank.

And you are using an Openbox S9? What is your signal Q? @75%Q I don't get more than a few minutes (or less) before loss. I am wondering if having 80-90%+Q would make much of a difference or perhaps the hardware itself is faulty @45000SR. I have yet to find a firmware update that fixes this problem and I doubt there will be as not many satellites use such high SRs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts