problems splitting ota to two hd receivers

onyx3751

Aug 6, 2005
Versailles,Kentucky
I have two dishnetwork hd receivers(921 and 811),and recently put a uhf/vhf antenna up in my attic,and got perfect signal on all ota hd channel, signal strenght ranging from mid 80's to well above a hundred. I also run a booster that is installed by the antenna in the attic. So i put a splitter in the incoming line to go to both off air inputs on hd receivers. This worked fine for about a week, and now the signal dropped to about 50 or 60 %, checked the antenna in the attic and it hasn't moved. So is there maybe a special kind of splitter I have to use for this to work correct. The reason I ask when I replace the splitter signal goes back up, for a while and then same problem comes back. Can anybody help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

rockaway1836

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 18, 2005
Myrtle Beach SC
Were you getting a good signal before you installed the amp (booster)? If so remove it and see what happens. Splitting your antenna lead one time should not require an amp unless you have a long run.

onyx3751

Aug 6, 2005
Versailles,Kentucky
splitting ota

I actually thought that I needed the booster to get a good signal,so I took your advise and took the booster of and everything seems to be ok. Signal is a tat lower but it's ok, I never thought the booster would interfear. thanks a bunch :)

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Although the amp will increase signal strength, it will also increase noise which could be worse than dealing with a weak signal. If you're not happy with your signal strength, and perhaps begin to experience dropouts during winter months, then you may wish to look for a high quality/very low noise amp.

PhillyOTA

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 6, 2005
Montgomery Co PA
It looks like you fixed the problem by removing the pre-amp, but to help with the original problem, it may be that you used a splitter with both OR neither ports power passing. Make sure the splitter has only a single current passing leg and that it is going to the power inserter for the pre-amp. A 10db pre-amp would most likely be more than enough for your situation.

rockaway1836

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 18, 2005
Myrtle Beach SC
onyx3751 said:
I actually thought that I needed the booster to get a good signal,so I took your advise and took the booster of and everything seems to be ok. Signal is a tat lower but it's ok, I never thought the booster would interfear. thanks a bunch :)
Glad it helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)