Problems with HD from ViP211k

you all think turbo hd is a marketing scheme i've never seen a bunch of ignorant people in my life. go to the dish network web site and look up turbo hd and what it is. then look at the recievers that are turbo hd recievers and you donot see any vip211k. why? because it doesn't have the update for it yet. you big dumb idiots. none of you were any help.

Can't believe I'm going to seriously try again here after being ignored and insulted, but here goes.

From the dish network web site. DISH Network -- Dish HD

What is it?
TurboHD has the best quality HD content you will find, and it’s available NOW! New, first-time DISH Network customers are eligible for great 100% HD packages starting at only $24.99/mo – that’s over 40 high-def channels at one low price. Channels include ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, Discovery Channel HD, TBS in HD and much more! With over 100 HD channels available and 150 projected by the end of the year, you can expect a lot of choices when it comes to sports, movies, and news. We offer three outstanding packages – TurboHD Bronze ($24.99/mo), Silver ($32.99/mo) and Gold ($39.99/mo) – PLUS our $10/mo 7-channel add-on, PlatinumHD.
OK, TurboHD is a programming package.

How does it work?
TurboHD uses a cutting-edge 8PSK-Turbo code to stream more data to your satellite receiver at a faster image processing rate, which results in a superior picture and sound for all your home viewing. You won’t find this technology anywhere else!
This 8PSK Turbo (which I mentioned previously) is the modulation scheme transmitted from the satellite. It is in the signal and was widely implemented on August 1, thus the "upgrade". Because it's part of the satellite signal, EVERY MPEG-4 receiver Dish has ever built get it. The "upgrade" was done to the satellite signal not the receiver. Every ViP receiver has been 8PSK-Turbo capable from the factory.

ViP211k is not on their website as a "Turbo HD receiver." In fact, it doesn't exist on their website anywhere at all that I can find. Why? They haven't updated that part of their website recently. No surprise there. The dish website is often a comedy of errors mixing obsolete and inaccurate content with marketing fluff and the occasional broken link. Just look at this page for an example of how accurate and current their site is. http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/accessories/index.shtml The same three items have been listed there for years. If you're basing your entire belief system on what it says on the dish network website without doing additional research, you have serious problems I can't help you with. Look in the yellow pages under "P" for "psycho-analyst."

Just to reiterate, three pages into a thread where you are asking for help, and we still don't know what kind of dish or LNBFs you're using, what satellites your dish is pointed at, what local market digital channels you get, what type of TV, or what channels you're experiencing issues with. Kind of hard to be helpful without any useful information provided.

Last edited:
I apologize for calling you all idiots but it does appear that the reciever I have does not have Turbo HD technology in it or the software it runs on has not been upgraded to that yet. I definitely know it's nicer than the vip211 because I had one of those for 2 years and the picture output on the vip211k is still nice but once it does get the software upgrade it will have outstanding picture output. Here is some info on Turbo HD which is actually made by Broadcom I believe who makes the cpu's in Dish Network HD recievers:

TurboHD uses a cutting-edge 8PSK-Turbo code to stream more data to your satellite receiver at a faster image processing rate, which results in a superior picture and sound for all your home viewing. You won’t find this technology anywhere else!

Once again I apologize let the flames continue but I know it makes a difference in picture quality if you don't agree oh well. Thank You and I'm done with this thread. It doesn't look like I'll get much help.

It is a software update as stated by Dish Network and confirmed in the mail with the "stickers" I told you all about that you had so much fun joking about. On August 1st new software was downloaded to make the recievver able to get Turbo HD. I since then had trouble with the dual satellite system using my VIP211 reciever and they swapped that reciever for the VIP211k which is a better reciever however the picture quality is not Turbo HD. PERIOD.

From my understanding "turbo HD" is just a marketing gimmic and has nothing to do with their 8PSK turbo code FEC (foward error correction) that DISH has used for years. And Jeffero isn't all that "crazy" as DISHHD isn't all that great and improvments could be made to make it look better but i don't think a software update is gonna do it. What we really need is new satellites with more available bandwidth for the ever increasing HD channels.

It is a software update as stated by Dish Network and confirmed in the mail with the "stickers" I told you all about that you had so much fun joking about. On August 1st new software was downloaded to make the recievver able to get Turbo HD. I since then had trouble with the dual satellite system using my VIP211 reciever and they swapped that reciever for the VIP211k which is a better reciever however the picture quality is not Turbo HD. PERIOD.

Maybe when your new receiver was installed your HDTV's preset "picture setting" was accidentally changed. Like, it was on "Vivid" or "Standard" before and now its on "Cinema". So the picture now appears to be "dull".

Regardless of whether your receiver has been upgraded to "turbo-HD" you can still see marvelous HD programming on it. Turbo-HD is a small improvement in picture quality and delivery method, that is barely noticable except to the finest HD conissouer.

If your ViP211k is properly connected to your display AND it is set to the correct settings, you should be getting a superior picture now - even without "Turbo-HD".

Call Dish Technical Support and have them send over a tech to go over your system and make sure all is well.

Regardless of whether your receiver has been upgraded to "turbo-HD" you can still see marvelous HD programming on it. Turbo-HD is a small improvement in picture quality and delivery method, that is barely noticable except to the finest HD conissouer.

If your ViP211k is properly connected to your display AND it is set to the correct settings, you should be getting a superior picture now - even without "Turbo-HD".

Call Dish Technical Support and have them send over a tech to go over your system and make sure all is well.[/QUOTE]

No thank you. As a tech, I want no part of this guy. He's the kind that will lead to one trouble call after another.

I just plugged in a 211k at a relative's house today. Brand new, no software updates or anything. They also had a "Turbo Charged" 612. Swapped the cables back and forth and there was NO DIFFERENCE in PQ between the 211k and the 612. Using component, that was.

Call Dish Technical Support and have them send over a tech to go over your system and make sure all is well.[/QUOTE]

No thank you. As a tech, I want no part of this guy. He's the kind that will lead to one trouble call after another.

You just need to get some "TurboHD"stickers in your van for trouble calls and you will be fine. Sorry I couldnt resist:D

I called them last night about it and the guy on the phone had me doing stupid stuff like unplugging the reciever and other dumb things that I knew did not matter. He admitted that he does not know when a software update for the VIP211k will be available but said that it's probably in the works. This reciever is not getting HD. The picture is blurred. I have a new TV on the way also and it's a nice one but I don't think it's even going to matter until I get a box that has 8PSK enabled on it. THIS BOX DOES NOT HAVE THAT. I also will probably be calling Dish Network to either give me back another VIP211 box or I'm canceling their service. The bill is due on the 24th. It's either that or I may order a VIP612 DVR which I know is able to get a HD picture. But I don't care to have DVR service. I just want a nice picture on my TV not to mention I'll have to pay them another $100 and agree to a contract for the DVR box.

I called them last night about it and the guy on the phone had me doing stupid stuff like unplugging the reciever and other dumb things that I knew did not matter. He admitted that he does not know when a software update for the VIP211k will be available but said that it's probably in the works. ...
The last update for the 211k went out on 10/2/08. That's the only version now available for all 211k receivers. See here.

Don't expect that another firmware revision is going to solve your problem. It won't.

mdonnelly beat me to it, I was about to post that all 211k receivers got new software on 10/2/08.

Here is the info:

PID: 0855h, ID: 0IQC, FW: L453, Model: ViP211k

PID=0855h

DownloadID:'0IQC'
Upgrading FW:
'L453': 'AAA1'- 'AMB1' 'L040'- 'L452' 'X040'- 'X452'
'L453': 'AAA1'- 'AMB1' 'L040'- 'L452' 'X040'- 'X452'
New FW:'L453'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs:
'1[A-C0-5]1[A0-3]' 'RG[ACEGJL-NP].'
IRD Model: ViP211k
List of Serial Numbers:
[2] 1-4000000000

Like others have said, it has to be a setting at your end. Can you change the pic size in your TV? Like zoom in, etc. I setup a 211k a few months ago and I really liked the picture quality.

I apologize for calling you all idiots but it does appear that the reciever I have does not have Turbo HD technology in it or the software it runs on has not been upgraded to that yet. I definitely know it's nicer than the vip211 because I had one of those for 2 years and the picture output on the vip211k is still nice but once it does get the software upgrade it will have outstanding picture output. Here is some info on Turbo HD which is actually made by Broadcom I believe who makes the cpu's in Dish Network HD recievers:

Once again I apologize let the flames continue but I know it makes a difference in picture quality if you don't agree oh well. Thank You and I'm done with this thread. It doesn't look like I'll get much help.

Dude, you just answered your own question. TurboHD isn't a software update to the receiver, the 8PSK demod chip has always been inside your unit, the hilighted part of your posts clearly states it's only a method of delivery to you. At the risk of sounding snooty, didn't you read what you copied & pasted???

well it's a piece of junk then and you must either have the older model or upgrade to a DVR box which is lame. it's enough to make someone not want dish network. but since i hate time warner cable and don't think diectv has a better quality set top box i may have to upgrade to the vip612 but i will say this a lot of you on here don't know much about the satellite boxes. i'm sure there will be a software update for the vip211k someday but am i willing to wait for it? i don't want to after going 2 years with a lousy so called HD picture with my 211 how long will it take for this one to finally get upgraded?

Are you ever going to listen? A software update will do NOTHING. You've got something wrong, either connection wise or in your head. A software update or a new receiver won't help. The ViP 211k DOES output HD.

With Dish 622 do I need an OTA antenna?

OTA HD Recorder W/O Contract

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts