Programming Hopper/Joey Remote To Work With Sony A/V Receiver ?

Roxor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Indiana
I have a Sony A/V receiver (STR-DG820) that I can't program to my Hopper remote. The code for the Sony was 766 for my old DISH 21.0 Remote and never had a problem from day one controlling my 622. This Hopper/Joey 40.0 seems not to have many codes built in, and it wants a four-digit code. The DISH tech tried for a long time during the installation (he tried look up on-screen and tried to IR pair with the 21.0 to no avail) on my Hopper and Joeys this afternoon, but I told him if he stayed any longer I would have to charge him board and room. I've always had problems with my other Sony receivers and DISH remotes prior to the 21.0. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

All Aux codes are four digits.. For a Audio receiver add a 2 in front of the code.. (2766) and see what happens. Not sure if this is applicable on a 40.0 remote since it programs differently. But all other prior remotes needed this.

All Aux codes are four digits.. For a Audio receiver add a 2 in front of the code.. (2766) and see what happens. Not sure if this is applicable on a 40.0 remote since it programs differently. But all other prior remotes needed this.
I've tried that and a hundred other codes, but still nothing. The 40.0 must be different to program from my old 21.0. Can anyone help with the correct procedure?

The old 21.0 codes don't work on the new 40.0 remotes, so 2766 is no good. They now use one-for-all (UEI) codes, many of which can be found HERE. But you shouldn't be using codes at all. Just go into the remote manager screen on your Hopper (not the pairing screen) and pick the brand and model and it should work fine. If you still want to use codes for some reason, then the correct ones for your sony are 1058, 1758, 1759, 1441 or 1442. You'll also want to turn off Limited Mode and set your volume punch thru.

The old 21.0 codes don't work on the new 40.0 remotes, so 2766 is no good. They now use one-for-all (UEI) codes, many of which can be found HERE. But you shouldn't be using codes at all. Just go into the remote manager screen on your Hopper (not the pairing screen) and pick the brand and model and it should work fine. If you still want to use codes for some reason, then the correct ones for your sony are 1058, 1758, 1759, 1441 or 1442. You'll also want to turn off Limited Mode and set your volume punch thru.
1758 worked like a charm. BTW, for the rest of the members that are having problems with their 40.0 you must use "Audio Receiver" and the code will say unknown on the Remote Manager Screen as it is probably not linked to Sony as of yet. Thanks a million for your help, mdavej!!! No thanks to DISH for the 5 hours of my life I wasted trying to get the remote programmed properly. Another example of releasing a product without proper documentation. Oh, I did try to chat with DISH tech support online and "Dave" thought an A/V receiver was a kind of TV. Why me? Now I have to get my Sony Blu-ray 3-D player programmed. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
You're welcome. I've programmed JP1 remotes for many years. Since they use the same codes as these new 40.0 remotes (and 32.0 remotes), I know them inside and out. Unfortunately Dish corporate forgot to tell everyone else that the code database for these remotes is completely different from the old one.

BTW your blu-ray is going to use DVD code 1516. The remote manager should find that easily though.

You're welcome. I've programmed JP1 remotes for many years. Since they use the same codes as these new 40.0 remotes (and 32.0 remotes), I know them inside and out. Unfortunately Dish corporate forgot to tell everyone else that the code database for these remotes is completely different from the old one.

BTW your blu-ray is going to use DVD code 1516. The remote manager should find that easily though.
1516 worked like a charm. You are amazing!!! Thanks again. BTW, 1516 also shows "Unknown" under my DVD info. The Remote Manager is basically useless. DISH really needs to get their stuff together with this 40.0 remote and/or their database. There are going to be a lot of frustrated customers trying to program their remotes when they get their Hopper. Maybe they can get "Dave", who I chatted online with yesterday at DISH Tech Support, to enter the codes into the database as he certainly is incompetent at best at tech support. On second thought, maybe he should to be promoted to DISH corporate. :D

For those people who aren't able to find a compatible code manually or by using the remote manager, you can also use the learning function on the Hopper/Joey remote. There are steps on this site.

http://www.mydish.com/support/40-remote
I tried that for the "AUX" button and as far I could tell it is not activated, nor is the "DVD" button. The search does work for "TV". As I mentioned in a previous post, the codes I entered manually from mdavej do not correspond to any brand in the database.

Does anyone know if you can set the hopper remote to turn on the av receiver and tv With the same button at the same time?
No you can not. You're probably accustomed to DirecTV or cable TV remotes that have this functionality. Dish remotes can't do macros at all. The good news is you can easily do this with the $8 RCA RCRP05BR available most anywhere. For $20 and up, there are many other universal remotes that do this as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)