PTAT question

glowrdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
So I'm getting my Hopper tomorrow - pretty stoked to get rid of my 922 (you'd think I'd learn from being the guinea pig before). Oh well. Back on track. Got a question that I haven't heard an answer to yet.

So I've found a good way to save all my timers. Someone(s) had mentioned to take a picture of the TV timers and just look at the picture later. I did one better and pulled up my timers from the Dish app on my iPad - then I took screenshots of the timer screens. Worked beautifully, and lots better then snapping a picture.

What I am curious about is this: I already record quite a few primetime shows. Just for this, lets say it's 5 timers. I'm not positive what shows are actually primetime (and sometimes shows get moved due to special televised events). Currently I have seperate timers for all these shows. If I set a timer for Big Bang Theory - is OTAT smart enough to override my created timers? Or will PTAT record everything as one mass chunk from 7-10, and when Big Bang Theory comes on, will it also use up one of my tuners if I have a manual timer set?

Just wondering if I should/need to recreate the 60 timers in the Hopper, or let PTAT do it's thing. And on that thought - I'm curious if I should even use PTAT, or just be happy I gained an extra tuner and leave it turned off? What are you all planning on doing? I don't have any conflicts that aren't automatically resolved, so 3 timers is more then enough for me (PTAT isn't going to magically resolve a bunch of conflicts for me). I am somewhat interested in PTAT to have a chance to watch some of the newer shows that I have not been watching. Maybe if I hear something good, or get bored - I can watch one of the new shows since it will have been recorded (whether I wanted it or not).

I just thought of one other thing. Does PTAT act more like VOD? Or does it record the shows, and display them in my DVR like one that I recorded? Just wondering if it will say I have 3 unwatched recordings of something PTAT that I don't even watch. Does this stuff get purged with the "episode limit" feature, or is the PTAT managed differently?

Sorry for all the questions. I know I will figure it out soon enough - I'm just curious if anyone knows ahead of time so I know what to expect since it will likely determine how I set the system up.

PTAT recordings show up as their own PTAT folder. Click on that and it opens up all the PTAT recordings. It basically works the same as any DVR program.

So I just checked the Hopper FAQ answers, and it appears that PTAT will override my timers and just the "hidden" third tuner during that time to record anything I may have in PT. Still curious how PTAT works. I know it has it's own menu to access it, but is it an extension of the DVR (just under another "heading", but the same principle) - or is it more like VOD? I sometimes get a couple weeks behind for shows, so I may have 2 or 3 episodes to watch. Just curious if I will build up the same queue for shows that I specifically do not watch (but could in the future).

You hit the DVR button and the first tile listed is the PTAT tile. Select it and then it shows you all the PTAT programs. Select what show you want to watch. It's exactly like pulling up a DVR show.

PTAT recordings show up as their own PTAT folder. Click on that and it opens up all the PTAT recordings. It basically works the same as any DVR program.

But out of the 4 channels that it records from 7-10, lets say they are all 30 minute shows. Does PTAT automatically record 24 shows each night for PTAT? Or does the PTAT feature record all shows that I set a timer for only, and the benefit is that it all can be done using the same tuner? That's the part that I'm a little confused about I guess.

I believe you would need to set timers for any shows that you wants saved past 8 days.

Primetime Anytime normally only saves for 8 days. If you set a timer, it will pull the show out of PTAT and save it to your side of the hard drive where you can watch it any time past 8 days.

If you don't set a timer or manually transfer the show from PTAT over to your saved recordings, it will get deleted once it's 8 days old.

i've read here that if you set up a timer for a show that PTAT also records you get to keep it past the 8 day limit and it still only uses one tuner. it will not record twice. if you want to keep a show that you do not have a timer setup for you need to tell it you want to keep it past the 8 days limit.

Makes sense. I wasn't sure if PTAT would eat into my space or not, but it sounds like it is seperately managed and is all behind the scenes. I'll probably leave it turned on then, and maybe I will descover some other shows that I might be missing since they would cause conflicting timers (so I never bothered to check them out)

Thanks for the info. Hate being a pain in the ass when I will find out for myself in about 11 hours. :eek:

Makes sense. I wasn't sure if PTAT would eat into my space or not, but it sounds like it is seperately managed and is all behind the scenes. I'll probably leave it turned on then, and maybe I will descover some other shows that I might be missing since they would cause conflicting timers (so I never bothered to check them out)

Thanks for the info. Hate being a pain in the ass when I will find out for myself in about 11 hours. :eek:
exactly. Dish reserves a substantial portion of that 2 TB hard drive for PTAT and their other on demand services. It's all separate from your own recordings unless you decide to pull PTAT shows over to your saved recordings via timers or whatever.

I am an installer, and your questions are a little complicated and depends on your needs. I hope I can help, and anyone else can chime in..

if you enable PTAT, it record everything on CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX from basically 7-10pm. These recordings do not use up your useable disk space and only use 1 tuner due to some new technology. But this also leaves only 2 tuners to the rest of the house during this period. Dish proclaims you can recored 6 channels during primetime, but you can also only watch 2 live programs during primetime.;) If you leave PTAT turned off, you have 3 live tvs during primetime. (4th TV still get's "last one in/watch what the wife/husband/kids are or, watch a recorded show).

One thing, PTAT is not VOD. These shows are recorded and stored on HD every night. They just are on part of the hard drive that does not change your 250 HD hours and will be erased in 8 days. You do have an option of moving a recorded program from PTAT to your saved area, but you must do it manually.

This system has a lot to offer, but it really depends on you household.

pitstop66 said:
I am an installer, and your questions are a little complicated and depends on your needs. I hope I can help, and anyone else can chime in..

if you enable PTAT, it record everything on CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX from basically 7-10pm. These recordings do not use up your useable disk space and only use 1 tuner due to some new technology. But this also leaves only 2 tuners to the rest of the house during this period. Dish proclaims you can recored 6 channels during primetime, but you can also only watch 2 live programs during primetime.;) If you leave PTAT turned off, you have 3 live tvs during primetime. (4th TV still get's "last one in/watch what the wife/husband/kids are or, watch a recorded show).

One thing, PTAT is not VOD. These shows are recorded and stored on HD every night. They just are on part of the hard drive that does not change your 250 HD hours and will be erased in 8 days. You do have an option of moving a recorded program from PTAT to your saved area, but you must do it manually.

This system has a lot to offer, but it really depends on you household.

Some are saying you can watch a program that is part of the PTAT recording without using one of the available 2 tuners. Is this right?

My household consists of the wife an I. I'm basically just replacing 2 211k's with joeys, and gaining the DVR benefit in each room (and getting rid of my 922 - not soon enough either!)

So there really isn't an issue with conflicts or anything. That is why 2 tuners has worked out well (usually only a conflict every couple of days - easily made up for on the non primetime channels due to repeats). I'm excited, and think that I'm probably one of the people this will benefit the most. I can see how people with 2-3 active TV's on at any given time may want more Hoppers though

Some are saying you can watch a program that is part of the PTAT recording without using one of the available 2 tuners. Is this right?
You can by starting to play the recording in progress. If you want to tune in in the middle of a show you would have to use one of the other tuners.

You can by starting to play the recording in progress. If you want to tune in in the middle of a show you would have to use one of the other tuners.
That doesn't sound right. So you can't watch live TV on a prime time network without using yet another tuner? If that is the case, PTAT would be pretty much useless.

That's how it works. It is just dumping everything to the HD from that TP, it will not output video from that tuner while this is in progress. PTAT is about recording everything from the Big 4, not watching everything live.

That's how it works. It is just dumping everything to the HD from that TP, it will not output video from that tuner while this is in progress. PTAT is about recording everything from the Big 4, not watching everything live.

Are you sure about this? It is contrary to much that has been written. I'm sure I read that you can watch PTAT during the time it is being recorded, except that it may be delayed by a few seconds. I hate to see misinformation put out. I'm open to correction if I have misunderstood this.

That is my understanding (btw understanding, I don't have one yet).....during primetime, tuner 1 is recording everything from the big 4 every night (7-11pm). This can be great or a problem depending on your circumstance.

If you come home and turn on nightly news at 6, you are using the second tuner.

If your kid is watching another program, all other joeys get to "join in" or "recorded programing".

Are you sure about this? It is contrary to much that has been written. I'm sure I read that you can watch PTAT during the time it is being recorded, except that it may be delayed by a few seconds. I hate to see misinformation put out. I'm open to correction if I have misunderstood this.

Exactly, it's delayed because it has to be recorded, and then played back just like playing back a DVR recording in progress like any current receiver. The only difference is you can't join the tuner in progress, because it can't display the 4 channels it's recording all on the screen at once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts