Purchase of DVR/PVR from other than participating retailer

damnlucky

Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
I've been a dish network customer for many years. I'm new to this forum. I want to upgrade my receiver to a DVR or a PVR. The Dish Network website lists "Available exclusively at participating retailers" for each of the DVR/PVR receivers. I've since found that you can purchase these receivers from, other that partricipating retailers, i.e. ebay. Before purchasing, what are things that I need to make sure of so that it will work once I receive it. What do I look out for? I've looked at most of the models available, 508/510/721/625/942. After purchasing, how do you go about setting these receivers up, activating them?
Is this too many questions or something that requires to much feedback for one thread?
Thanks

I bought my 508 off of ebay. (no DVR fee on this reciever)

Before you buy, just make sure you get the card/receiver numbers, and call dish to make sure there is no balance on it.

Then once you get it home, call dish to activate it.
It was pretty easy for me.

If you go with a 510, then you'll have a montly $4.98 DVR fee
(as far as I know, there is no difference between the 508 and 510 besides HDD size)

As cdoyle mentioned above, you definitely need to get the receiver serial number from the seller -- usually on the plate on the backside and starts with R00.......... Sometime that's all the DishNet customer service person will ask for (depends on model you're getting). Also good to get the smart card # (starts with S00........)

Whoever you're buying it from, don't believe them when they say they own the receiver and it doesn't have a balance due. The only way to be sure is to get the R00 & S00 numbers, then call Dish to verify:

(1) the unit doesn't have a balance due
(2) the account has been closed
(3) if you purchase it, Dish will add it to your account and activate it

I purchased my 522 on eBay at a good price a few months ago, and it works just fine. If any seller refuses to provide the numbers, just move on to the next auction -- there's plenty DishNet receivers up for sale from more cooperative sellers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)