Puzzle on my VisionSat receiver through 4x4 switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kooguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Ajax Ontario
It is a little lengthy but try best to describe my current configuration so that someone can provide suggestions on my my puzzle...

Receivers:
- VisionSat with firmware 1.45
- ViewSat Lite

Switch: Zinwell 4x4 Multi-switch (SAM-4402-3A).
I see these labels on the switch...
18V 13V 18V 13V
--SATA(101) in-- -- 22KHz --

Out1 Out2 Out3 Out4

Dish :
30" Winegard point to 95W
36" Fortec point to 97W

LNB: Focus FTA Dual Linear LNB (10750) on both 30" and 36" respectively.

Cable length: About 50' from Dish to ViewSat Lite and about 30' from dish to VisionSat.

Step 1: Both dishes have been aligned for best signal receptions.
Step 2: All channels from each transponders are accounted for.
Step 3: Note down the signal quality for all transponders.

Step 1,2 & 3 were done using VisionSat (IV200 PVR Plus) with following settings:
LNB Power : On
LNB Type : Single
LNB Frequency: 10750
LNB 22KHZ : Off
DisEQC SW : Off

Step 4: Power all receivers off.

Step 5:
The two output from LNB of 30" dish connect to 13V and 18V on "SATA (101) in" respectively.

The two output from LNB of 36" dish connect to 13v and 18v on "22Khz" respectively.

Step 6: Power VisionSat up and perform the following settings.

VisionSat settings for 95W and 97W

95W 97W
LNB Power : On On
LNB Type : Single Single
LNB Frequency: 10750 10750
LNB 22KHZ : Off On
DisEQC SW : 1/Off/Off 2/Off/Off
Position Setting : None None

Step 7: Power ViewSat Lite up and perform the following settings.

ViewSat Lite settings for 95W and 97W

95W 97W
LNB Type : Standard Standard
DiseqC 1.0 : 1 2

Step 8: Check ViewSat. All channels are accounted for 95W and 97W. No issues with signal quality on transponders from 95W and 97W.

Step 9: Check VisionSat. All channels are accounted for 95W. No issues with signal quality on transponders from 95W.

However, something strange for some transponders on 97W...

I have zero signal quality on these transponders:
12060 H 2200, 12090 H 2000, 12122 H 20000,11966 H 22000, 12152 H 20000

The above transponders are fine on VisionSat if the connections didn't go through the 4x4 switch.

Any idea what could be the issues?

Thanks.

Last edited:
This non-powered switch was designed for a specific purpose, its specs were chosen to address the requirements of specific sats and STB family. Since you're trying to use it for a different purpose with different LNBs and IRDs, its possible that some ports may get insufficient power, or signal drop within the switch goes below threshold of your STB. Keep in mind, signals from DTV sats are a lot stronger than 97W. Try to flip both dish connections to see if it helps. See switch Setup Manual for more ideas.

It is just strange that this only happen on VisionSAT receiver...

I did flip the connections with 95W to "22KHz" and 97 to "SATA (101)". The result on VisionSat receiver was:

- I got back all signals on all transponders for 97W.
- I lost all signals on all transponders for 95W.

Seems like this particular Zinwell swicth is not meant for FTA use especially for 95W and 97W combination. However, I do plan on getting 101W, perhaps I can use the "SATA (101)" connection.

I may have to find another switch for 95W and 97W.

kooguy
I've used those 4x4 multiswitches on my Visionsat with no issues. So its very weird.
Did you try a different output on the switch or even a different cable?

Unfortunately my wiring I cant reorganize it to duplicate your setup (too many wires hidden now)....Maybe I'll try with the 2 ghetto moved C-Band dishes ;)

Yes, very weird...It is a challenge for me.

I'll try your suggestions, and play around with the output and cables.

Without the 4x4 multi-switch, I can get two receivers (VisionSat, ViewSat) to work properly using two 2x1 DiSeqC switches. However, my third VisionSat receiver will not work as a slave to ViewSat. :(

Certainly welcome more suggestions...

another option would be some 2x4 or 3x4 switches instead.

both outputs of 95W LNB to a 2x4 switch
both outputs of 97W LNB to another 2x4 switch

use diseqc switches to combine the outputs...then you dont need 22k switches

Iceberg,

I think this particular VisionSat receiver has issue. I just tried another VisionSat (firmware 1.45) and it works perfectly well. Go figure...:confused:

However, I'll try your suggestions using multiple 2x4 switches option.

It is fun to play around with options to address this puzzle...

I tried the Zinwell 4x4 and a Zinwell 3x4 switches, play with the connection combinations, didn't work well.

I'll pickup some 2x4 switches and try it out.

Just my bad luck, pick the wrong receiver to start off with a 4x4 switch.:(

The 3x4 should work...a 2x4 and 3x4 is the same thing except for an antenna input

I tried my Visionsat on a 4x4 and it worked fine. Hooked up my 2 ghetto move C-band dishes. One on 58W (was gonna scan anyways) and one on 121W. Hooked up both to a zinwell 4x4 and the Visionsat worked fine....now the Sonicview I hooked up too.. well thats a different story ;)

ok..I tried the 2x4 switch approach.

I used the 3dish3fta diagram from http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/134124-switch-setups-simplified.html#post1344314

Just for testing, I only hookup the problematic VisionSat receiver using two 3x4 Zinwell switches and one 2x1 DiseqC.

Before I start, I tested all transponders from 95W and 97W. This is to ensure all transponders are accounted for. The problematic VisionSAT receiver settings remain as is in post#1.

Here is configuration:

The dual output of LNB from each satellite goes to each of the 3x4 switch. One output of each 3x4 switch goes to 2x1 DiseqC. The output of 2x1 DiseqC goes to the receiver.

I marked all cables (95W, 97W) from LNB to the switch.

Step 1:
(A) 95W's LNB dual output==> 3x4 Zinwell-----> (one 2x1 DiseqC) --> receiver
(B) 97W's LNB dual output==> 3x4 Zinwell-----> (go to same 2x1 DiseqC)

Result: All channels are accounted for 95W. No issues with signal quality on transponders from 95W.
I have zero signal quality for all transponders from 97W!

Step 2:
(A) 95W's LNB dual output==> 3x4 Zinwell-----> (one 2x1 DiseqC) --> receiver
(B) 97W's LNB dual output==> (flip connections of 18v and 12v around) 3x4 Zinwell----->

Result: Only a few transponders are accounted for 97W. I have zero signal quality for all transponders from 95W!

Did I connect it right?

you hooked everything up properly. The cables from the LNB to the switch are moot which one goes where as long as both are hooked up

Are you sure you are setting the diseqc options in the receiver right?

Just checked...Same as before.

VisionSat settings for 95W and 97W

95W 97W
LNB Type : Single Single
DisEQC SW : 1/Off/Off 2/Off/Off
Position Setting : None None

Also, if I disconnected 95W from 2x1 DiseqC, all channels from 97W are good.

If I disconnected 97W and with 95W connected back to 2x1 DiseqC, all channels from 95W are good.

The problem is when I connect both 95W and 97W back, things just don't work as expected.

I think this particular VisionSat is just not normal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts