Question: 625 Dual Mode 2 programs recording

wileadams

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Greenwood, Indiana
I just recently came back to DISH Network after almost 2 years of cable. All I can say is first-DISH's receivers have changed! WOW! Second, I have the 625 and have it placed in dual mode. My question: I want to record two programs at one time in this mode. How do I do this without going to TV2 and setting it up? I know that there is the Record Plus option, but it seems to always set everything to record on tuner 2, and my sister-in-law doesn't want it to record there first. I would like it to record first on my tuner and then secondly on hers if she isn't using it. Alternatively, I would like hers to record first on her tuner and then secondly on ours if I am not using it. Can this be done and how do I set this up?

Thanks!
Wil

In my own experience (I have a 522 so it might be a little different) if you are at TV1 with the RecordPlus option to TV2 then everything that is attempted to be recorded will default to TV2 unless something is already scheduled there and then it will rollover to TV1. The same thing would happen if you had the RecordPlus set to TV1 and you were at TV2 setting up the recorder events.

I also found that if you have RecordPlus set to TV2 and you setup a recording from TV2 it will only record shows on TV2 and will not roll over to TV1 even if there are multiple events set. In this case it will use the priorities and one show will not be recorded even though TV1 had nothing recording on it.

From my own experience it does not seem that you will be able to setup the system the way that you want it, at least not yet anyways.

I have a DirecTivo, but I assumed that if you disable record plus, it would record from the tuner that was programmed first, and roll over to the other one in case of conflicts. I have no experience actually recording with those, though. Just installing them.

Tivo jacks both tuners if it needs to record 2 shows simultaneously. Are you telling me the dish DVR isn't smart enough to figure this out?

I had not thought to disable RecordPlus. I will have to try that and post back my results.

chadzx11 said:
Are you telling me the dish DVR isn't smart enough to figure this out?

Remember, we are talking about Dish and their equipment. :) From my experience no, if you were on the TV that was the default for RecordPlus it would not roll over to the other TV.

JamesThurber said:
Remember, we are talking about Dish and their equipment. :) From my experience no, if you were on the TV that was the default for RecordPlus it would not roll over to the other TV.

Right, I know it won't do it if record plus is enabled. I was talking about what goes on with record plus disabled.

If record Plus is set to TV2, a conflict will roll to TV1, but NOT the other way around.

chadzx11 said:
Right, I know it won't do it if record plus is enabled. I was talking about what goes on with record plus disabled.
If record + is disabled then anything you set to record with the TV1 remote will only record on the TV1 tuner. Same thing with TV2.

That is right about the disabled. It will only record on TV1 or TV2 and not roll over. So, what I have found after my experiments are:

Record Plus enabled: Stays on original TV where program was set to record. Will not roll recording to 2nd tuner if not in use.

Record Plus set to TV1: Will record programs only on TV1, no matter which tuner sets the recording.

Record Plus set to TV2: Will record programs only on TV2, no matter which tuner sets the recording.

What I would like to see is a setting like this:

Option 1: Record Plus with Original setting TV as primary and opposite TV as secondary.

Options 2: Record Plus with Opposite TV as primary and Original setting TV as secondary.

I would not see this as being too difficult. I can see the more logical implementation being option 1.

It would also be nice that if you turned on TV2 or TV1 and it was busy with a recording that it would ask if you wanted to mirror the video on the opposite TV tuner.

Other than those two items, I really think in a few years time DISH has come a long way with their receivers. Coming back to DISH from Insight, I will say that DISH's picture quality on both standard and high def channels is much better and consistent than with Insight Digital. I was a little amazed given a lot of bad moaning about the HD Lite topics.