Question on upgrade

lhfh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I am thinking of upgrading from SD to HD. I will be hooking up one HD tv and one SD tv. I know the 722k will work with both just fine. But will the Hopper also work??? I'm confused. If so do I need a Joyey? If not how many shows can a Hopper record at once?

I am thinking of upgrading from SD to HD. I will be hooking up one HD tv and one SD tv. I know the 722k will work with both just fine. But will the Hopper also work??? I'm confused. If so do I need a Joyey? If not how many shows can a Hopper record at once?

A Hopper and a Joey will work. Three tuners are available that can each record one channel, except if you're recording the locals, then it can record all 4 locals on 1 tuner or a total of 6 channels at once. Instead of a regular Joey you could have a Super Joey which would add two additional tuners. You could also add an OTA module if you have an off air antenna, which would add another tuner for recording.

The Joey has composite outs. So if the sd tv has composite in's, that will work. And if you decide to upgrade that tv to hd, you have the hdmi out. With the 722, you are stuck with tv2 out being in sd.

You need to look ahead. If you think it likely you will replace the SD set with an HD one, the Hopper/Joey would be wise. If not, the 722K would more economical.

Yep, I recently replaced my bedroom SD TV with an HD version. I had a Joey there already. I simply changed my composite wiring to HDMI and, voila, I had HD!

The idea of what others have said to go with the Hopper and Joey will work....but as I tell many people that get the idea then that is fine but do keep in mind that not everyone can get HD. Tree's are the biggest enemy for many people depending on area's and around here there are many many people with just too many tree's blocking the HD satellite 129 needed for HD channels mostly locals and it is pointless to go with Eastern Arc when you can't get the locals in HD. Also consider you will have to pay for HD programming, it is no longer free no matter how much you argue it will cost you.

Some Channels Have Bad Quality

Installing a 2nd Joey?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)