Ran out of money, can not afford DISH. Best options here?

Mike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
Title says almost all of it. Can't afford DISH anymore this month. They have cut it off already. I can watch OTA and the free preview channels. That's fine.

I don't have a contract or anything. There is no way in hell I could possibly afford DISH again until at least next month after I get paid. Since I already got a $300 advance from July, it's extremely likely I can't afford DISH until August.

Should I just tell them I cancel until August? I mean, I don't want to have to pay some bill in August, that includes almost 2 weeks of DISH that I couldn't have possibly seen (free preview channels excluded).

You can pause up to 9 months, or you can cancel, pay off any balance on the account, and then after 60 days or more, whenever you are ready, you can sign up again as a new customer and get the discounts.

Reactions: vcsatellite
But if you have a DVR, watch out! EHD programs will be lost and gone forever if your account number changes.

If you are taking salary advances, you cannot afford pay TV. Cancel immediately, but make sure you pay your final bill or it will be reported to the credit agencies.
I have to agree. Get your finances in better shape, then look into it when you are in a better position to do so.

Reactions: vcsatellite
If money is that tight and you are not under contract then I think it's a no brainer to just cancel your service and stick with OTA and internet if you have it. If your finances are better after two months you can sign back up with Dish and qualify for the new customer promotions. Being that it's summer time it's probably the best time to cancel service too.

Huh ? He can't afford it and can walk away free and clear and your advice is to sign up with another pay-TV service and be locked into a contract for 12 or 24 months ???

I think he was just giving him the option that he could still have TV service but at a lower cost. It doesn't sound like he would be able to afford that though and I think canceling is his best option.

With the crowd here, just cancel, there are other alternatives to get some programming just in a different way, but for much less as I'm sure you know. Roku is one way, but even just with a computer, and or an antenna to get your locals. There are even a couple of sites with free access to the networks.
I don't think going down to the Welcome is even the best way for you, sounds like you need to stop spending on everything you possibly can at least for awhile.

How long do you have to drop Dish before they treat you as a new customer and get the price discounts?

I thought it takes at least a year of not being a Dish customer.

I'm currently on dish pause for a couple of reasons (moving soon, neighbor's tree now obstructing 129 satellite). I know it's probably heresy to say it but I'm currently using a Tivo Roamio that I bought for $150. I'm paying $15 a month for service, and $8 for Netflix. I'm also "borrowing" a few passwords for my Roku for Watch ESPN, HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, and Amazon Prime. Since the base Roamio supports OTA, I'm doing remarkably well with OTA locals and my Roku for less than $25 per month. The passwords I'm borrowing are from someone I'm dating who's at my house pretty regularly, not that it makes borrowing passwords any more ethical, but I regularly convince myself it does.

I'm currently on dish pause for a couple of reasons (moving soon, neighbor's tree now obstructing 129 satellite). I know it's probably heresy to say it but I'm currently using a Tivo Roamio that I bought for $150. I'm paying $15 a month for service, and $8 for Netflix. I'm also "borrowing" a few passwords for my Roku for Watch ESPN, HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, and Amazon Prime. Since the base Roamio supports OTA, I'm doing remarkably well with OTA locals and my Roku for less than $25 per month. The passwords I'm borrowing are from someone I'm dating who's at my house pretty regularly, not that it makes borrowing passwords any more ethical, but I regularly convince myself it does.

I say if you're dating the person and together a lot then it's ok.

Although the Roamio in HD antenna mode along with streaming is tempting, I'll stick with Dish at the AT120 level (maybe AT120+ during the NFL season) for the moment. However, if they continue to water down AutoHop or keep failing to fix Hopper bugs, I may reconsider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts