Raycom & Dish still quareling? -Dispute Settled. channels back 8/9

I thought WIS-TV (NBC) in Columbia S.C. was a locally owned station, they used to be. Dish claims they offered to pay the same rates as other carriers and WIS-TV claims all the other carriers have similar agreements to the one they have been negotiating with DISH Network. Both can't be right. Who lies? WISTV mentions we can switch to DIRECTV or AT&T Uverse, but doesn't mention Time Warner Cable. What's up with that? TWC is the largest carrier in our area. I wish the details of these contracts disputes would have to be made public in the event of a service disruption.
Raycom is the one that is lying mostly in this case. All the stations have the same BS promos cut by the local station.

Nope that is illegal.Thanks to the FCC pushed by broadcasters I might add.
I don't think it is illegal, it's just set up w/ the 1992 retrans consent. That way DMA's don't want to lose to one next door. So E* and D* abide by the DMA rules. "Movers" have it well, since they can just change most of their timers away from local DMA. Like the timers seem to still fire for those channels that they have set to run. But it now says "Important News- Press Info!" for all the titles.

I don't think it is illegal, it's just set up w/ the 1992 retrans consent. That way DMA's don't want to lose to one next door. So E* and D* abide by the DMA rules. "Movers" have it well, since they can just change most of their timers away from local DMA. Like the timers seem to still fire for those channels that they have set to run. But it now says "Important News- Press Info!" for all the titles.

Pretty sure it is illegal,at least for Dish.I recall them getting slapped pretty hard,a few years back for doing just that.

Pretty sure it is illegal,at least for Dish.I recall them getting slapped pretty hard,a few years back for doing just that.
That was knowing letting people "move". That's the law that they broke. Not a substitution, which no one has ever tested. I hope all these type of disputes get people PO'd enough that we can get the retrans rules from 1992 kicked to the curb.

Just to be more specific - it wasn't the moving as we now look at "moving" that caused the problem, It was giving Distants when some did not qualify.

Why is the "Important Info..." needed on the OTA channel? Give me that back and you and keep my local Raycom station off the air for as long as you want.

Bingo. I like that my multicasts have channel info, but the main station doesn't. Painful. I buy eacalhoun's explanation, but it's still pretty painful. Course I was setting up manual timers for multicasts without info; guess I'll manage.

Not much of a loss, but glad I have a 211k. Bet it straightens out by the start of the NFL season.

I don't think it was "moving", rather giving distant locals to those claiming to not have coverage when in fact they did. But that was many years ago...

EDIT: As Tamps8 said, that's what I recall.

Just to be more specific - it wasn't the moving as we now look at "moving" that caused the problem, It was giving Distants when some did not qualify.

I don't think it was "moving", rather giving distant locals to those claiming to not have coverage when in fact they did. But that was many years ago... :confused:
ECHO ECHO echo

I tuned in WBTV briefly about an hour ago.They were giving the usual spiel,what struck me as funny though,they were talking about how Dish customers could no longer get the news and information of WBTV.Guess they forgot they run a newscast on WJZY at 10pm.:rolleyes:

I swear,I despise these broadcasters being so greedy more by the day.:rant:

Just noticed something - on WBTV - on the Raycom dispute slide. At the bottom of the slide for most of the day, the last item has been where to go for more information which is DISHValuePledge.com -- As of around 10pm when I flipped back over to WBTV, contact information has been added for WBTV's General Manager Nick Simonette. I wonder if the rest of the Raycom fleet has had their local GM's contact information added to this slide in their market? By the way, WBTV's Facebook page appears to have more posts slamming WBTV/Raycom instead of slamming DISH over the dispute.

Eric

Just noticed something - on WBTV - on the Raycom dispute slide. At the bottom of the slide for most of the day, the last item has been where to go for more information which is DISHValuePledge.com -- As of around 10pm when I flipped back over to WBTV, contact information has been added for WBTV's General Manager Nick Simonette. I wonder if the rest of the Raycom fleet has had their local GM's contact information added to this slide in their market?

Eric

I noticed his name,didn't think much about it though.

I just went to the value pledge site and put in a local towns info. Yepp, station manager's info is up. Thats a little wrong IMO, the station manager has little to do with this Im sure, yet you throw him under the bus.

I just went to the value pledge site and put in a local towns info. Yepp, station manager's info is up. Thats a little wrong IMO, the station manager has little to do with this Im sure, yet you throw him under the bus.

I don't know about in other markets but,here the station manager has been coming on tv for over a month pleading Raycom's case.You want to be a spokesperson for them,then you should be able to handle the flak.

Went to the Value Pledge page and it ask for zip code. So I put it in. Came back as a 404 error. On the news tonight they had one of the 2 lead anchors/managing producer cut a piece almost identical in wording to the GM's spiel from the night just before cut off. I've known him for years, and the way he did it I could tell he really didn't give a Sh**. He was told to do it and so he cut it to play on air. Next I expect them to have the other anchor cut a piece too (lady that has been on station forever) she is well "loved" in the area. Raycom is gonna get their A kicked on this. They are gonna come out as the suckers. At least the local station web guy doesn't bother taking down the comments that are not flattering to the station. Here's one for everyone that is affected. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwSMFZUq-oQ#at=58

The reps at Dish are not smart when it comes to OTA stuff. When we lost one of our local channels last year Dish reps were telling customers they could get the channel with an OTA module and they would ship them one. Some people had to pay for them and some got them for free. Sounds like a good deal except they didn't tell the customers that they needed an antenna hooked up to that module. Brilliant!

Very true. Talked to a lady a few weeks ago, upset that she could not get a particular sub-channel that her mom got in another area. She was sold an OTA, not told anything about it. When she called in, she was told to hook up that USB OTA (Hopper) to the USB, then connect the sat in (technically, in from the node) to the coax on the end of the USB OTA. I had to explain that to use an OTA device, she had to have an antenna. Also found out that she already got the particular sub channel in her market. The original agent was dumber than bricks, and sold her an OTA she could not use and did not need.

I used to get frustrated (before signing up to the site) when I saw people suggesting to not call in, rather to message DIRT, for rather trivial things, but I can't lie...I understand it. We actually have a lot of really smart, really helpful agents, but if your call gets sent offshore, well...

I am glad that when HDTV first came out I put a big antenna out (now it is in my attic) to receive OTA HD. I use a TiVo with lifetime service to record all OTA broadcasts, so I do not have to rely on Dish (or Time Warner Cable) to negotiate with the local networks. Yes, I know that will be charged eventually via a rate increase.

I am using a 9' UHF antenna. Radio Shack really needs to bring them back, they discontinued them about 10 years ago... It can really pull in the signal!

FYI, I have a couple of timers that were preset for several Fox programs on the local Raycom channel through Dish first and through OTA as a secondary in case of conflicts with the two satellite tuners. Well, the OTA tuner is still set to fire at the correct times for the programs. Master Chef being the first one on Wednesday. The timers still see what is new and old programs, and the OTA tuner has the priority. The EPG and timer info says "Important News - Press Info", but the original broadcast dates and "new program" flags are still working on the OTA side. We'll see if the timer actually fires on Wednesday if the dispute lasts the week.