Re-peaking the dish didn't do it

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
OK - after experiencing rain fade with the 18" dish, I requested a larger dish. I got a 28" dish a few weeks ago, and while it improved my signal somewhat, I still get rain fade with even a light rain. I live in SE South Dakota, have a clear line-of-sight, and do not have diplexors or attenuators. The cable run is perhaps 80 feet. My signal strength as reported on the installation menu was 95, while it was 85 on the status screen (ch 412 Fox News).

Figuring it was an alignment issue, I got out the radios and my son and I set about re-peaking it. After re-peaking it was exactly as it was before - no improvement. Wouldn't you think that with a 28" dish, clear LOS, decent inclination, re-peaking, and no diplexor that I should be getting a better signal than 85?

Since I have 2 cable runs, I am thinking of swapping the cables to see if one cable may be lossy. When I had DirecTV, the 18" dish worked great in all but total downpours (using different cable run). Granted - their sat was positioned better and probably higher power. Any thoughts on what I should be checking next - or is 85 about as good as it gets?

if you are get 85 signal it is not you cable i know you said you adjusted it but it is just still of a little azuimuth or elevation not sure which . could be either .

tyork

are you talking about signal strength or quality??? i wish i had a strength of 85 mine is 70 with a 24"(quality is 96)

Perhaps there's something in the way of your LOS, are there any trees that could be interfering? Perhaps you need to have the dish moved higher on your roof or on a chimney mount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)