Receiver quits working when I unplug another.

ptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Palm Coast Florida
I just bought another house and Dish can out and installed a new Dish 1000, DPP44 and a power inserter for my 411. I was down stairs working in my theater and had to unplug my 622. The 411 lost total signal, did check switch, could not find anything. Rebooted and repeated twice. Tried 411 without power inserter, no go. Went down stairs, plugged the 622 back in and tada, all was fine again. What the #%$# is up with that? Can anyone enlighten me?

If you unplugged the power inserter than the switch wasn't getting any power, therefore it won't work.

lakebum431 said:
If you unplugged the power inserter than the switch wasn't getting any power, therefore it won't work.
No, I unplugged the 622 and the 411 quit working. I only unplugged the power inserter while troubleshooting as a test.

If the 622 is on port 1 and you unplug the 622, the DPP44 loses power and so does the 411. I tested this without a PI and the DPP44 switch loses power and stops working for all other receivers. The DP34 switch will continue to get power from any port.

The question at hand is: which receiver is hooked up to port1 of the dp+44 switch? I believe that the receiver hooked up to port1 should be the one that is hooked up to the power inserter and the receiver needs to be powered up.

"and the receiver needs to be powered up."

Nope, the receiver doesn't need to be powered up unless you're not using the PI. If you don't have the PI supplying power then the receiver on Port 1 supplies the power. If you unplug the receiver on Port 1, then the DPP44 doesn't have any power to work.

So maybe your power inserter has gone bad, and the only power that the switch is getting is coming from the 622 (when it is plugged in).

lakebum431 said:
So maybe your power inserter has gone bad, and the only power that the switch is getting is coming from the 622 (when it is plugged in).

That makes sense, I wonder how long a reciever could power a 44 before it goes kaput.

That's a good quesiton. I've heard of people using a DPP44 without the power inserter at all. I would not recommend this, but from what I understand it works. To the OP I would try to get a new power inserter to see if that fixes it. Shouldn't be too expensive, check out Ebay.

Lakebum,

Before buying a new PI, try it on the 622 lead without the 622 connected. If the 411 works you know the PI is OK, just plugged into the wrong port.

Thanks guys for all your replies. I had to go out of town but will check which port the PI is connected to. It sounds likethe 622 is connected to port 1. makes all sense since when the 622 is disconnected, all is lost. Sounds like an easy fix and I will update you on my return this weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)