Recomendation for new house wiring

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I am having a new home built. What typer specifically of coax should I have put in each room and how many runs 1-2? I assume the type of coax is important? What about the connectors and wall plates? The contractors I've seen just use the typical stuff from Lowe's.

What about data ... should I have regular phone or something better?

From the outside should I have them run 1-4 coax lines to a central distribution point and then feed each room or what is the best way?

Is there some type of "manifold" or something to connect all the coax together at the central point? Do I need to use any typer of amplifier?

I want to get this "right" on the first try and it won't cost too much extra to do it in the build stage. Links to equipment so I can look it up would be helpful.

Thanks

Use RG6 coax and I would have 2 runs to any location you may want a TV. You may want to run CAT5 to each location too. From the outside running 4 cables may not be a bad idea, that would allow 3 for the dish and the fourth for a possible OTA antenna. You would want all the cables going to a central location and make sure to mark each for for where their locations are. As for how it looks in the central location, that's up to you. Some just have the whole bundle tied together and others have a box they are in all neat and organized.

6 connection wall plates are pretty easy to fill up with 1-2 RG6 quad shielded coax and 4-5 cat 6 Ethernet. Cat 6 costs a tiny bit more, but when you factor in labor and the fact your walls will be sealed up, it is worth it. The cat 6 could be turned into phone or Ethernet as needed. The demand for 2 coax cables is fairly limited now.

Conduit if possible is always a good thing to have if you can work it out for future upgrading.

If a 2 story house don't put the common point on the first floor or on a inside wall you may have to upgrade in the future. Top floor or attic will allow for future upgrades.

dont forgot a coax and cat5/6 outside for incoming cable/dsl internet. I usually run minimum of 2 rg 6 and 2 cat5/6 to each location with everything feeding to a central location and I have 4 rg6 running outside to location of Dish and then I have a coax running to the attic for antenna. I also have some cable running to some door locations for cameras, and speaker wire run in the walls for the surround systems and a set outside for the back patio.

Here are the wiring cabinets from my dads house and my house from a few years ago when I was finishing the connections.

PIC-0001.jpgPIC-0002.jpgPIC-0003.jpgPIC-0013.jpgPIC-0012.jpgPIC-0014.jpg

Everybody has mentioned coax, and RG-6, but nobody had mentioned to make sure it is RG-6 rated for 3Ghz, or 3000 Mhz. Shame on them all! Run 4 coax in from the outside, this will cover max dish network cables needed and an additional for OTA, if you need or want. I would run at least 2 coax to each room, and cat6 to each room, it's not that much more than cat5,and who knows what the future will bring for capabilities with that. Bring all the cables together in a central location, preferably in a room on an outside wall. Don't put your furnace/utility room in the middle of the basement, put it on an outside wall, so you can always get more stuff into it after the basement is finished.

Hey ... thanks everyone for the excellent information.

2 coax and Cat6 it is then.

I am in the Port Charlotte Florida area. Wonder how hard it would be to get one of you super techs to do a design and install on the new house ... with pay of course.
I will be putting in a decent media room, whole house audio speakers and basic network/TV/phone.

Thanks again!

When doing installations and doing my own wiring of houses I have used 3 Ghz RG-6 coax, two at each location and a few CAT 5e's at each location as well. The future of entertainment may not use coax anyore but all CAT 5e (or CAT 6) so two runs of it would be like running two coax wires currently. That should take care of your phone, data and a couple for spare perhaps bonded DSL, speaker, intercom, security or television. For those doing HDMI over CAT 5e that currently requires two CAT 5e wires although it does not use all pairs in the second CAT 5e wire. All going to a centralized location to access all the wires.

They make cabling that has multiple types of cables in it. Some even have fiber in them. Don't know if we will need fiber in the near future or not but it could eventually be needed. You could add them later though as price comes down and as technology changes further. At the following link is an example of this, all with one outer shield. It makes for a neater simpler installation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Cab...130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a924b8fa

I would also recommend the conduit at least 2 inches in diameter in the walls so that you can run wires in the future. I have seen these in newer homes that were built and also use them for some recent building that I did. This way you can add and remove wires at will. Ive seen them with bends like plumbing with a pull wire in it. I would have bends no greater than 22 degrees to help the wires pull better. Don't know how that would affect the wire code and inspection though.

After looking at your picture looks like you have a large house. If I was in you shoes I would put in 3/4 or 1 inch conduit to every drop with mule tape inside all runs. That way you can change add remove without much effort. Also depending on your SQ you may want to have a wireless network installed that's controller based with AP's place throughout your house for perfect roaming wifi.

Agreed, the installers came to replace my old 622, 722k systems with 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. They refused to use the RG-6 used by the previous tech just 2 years ago as it was not labeled (they didn't give a crap about doing a frequency scan) and said that Dish is forcing them to use labeled 3GHZ cable between the Dish, the Duo Nodes and Hoppers. They put up one of the newer dark gray dishes, and reran all the cable from the outside to the basement. Hooked up to a Duo-Node and then we had an issue. The 722k was in the Family room so pulling a new 3GHZ cable to the outlet was not bad. But they refused to rewire the MBR where the 622 was even though I showed them pre-plumbed conduit running from the basement to the attic. They said that running a new cable down the wall was an extra charge of $200 so I said Bullsh!t!

So I had to work out alternate plan 2. I put the 2nd Hopper in my Den again on 1st floor and easier to pull and restring cable. The Dish main guy (Russian with an accent that not even Chekov could match) was a royal PITA. So I have now a Hopper in a room that doesn't have any hi-def TV (GRRRRR) and they said that Joey's can run over existing coax RG-6 even RG-59. So they hooked up one of the Joey's to my MBR and paired it with the Den Hopper which was supposed to be the MBR Hopper.

End result, Hoppers works great, Joeys work like sh*t all around. Every Joey has a voice lose problem, pixelation, picture freezes, RED MOCA signals and the only way to get them back in sync is to backup 7 secs and then go forward 30. But when the picture freezes up, it's generally screwed. It's not just one Joey but at least 2 of the 4 they installed. The other two I can't speak about because one is in a room without a TV that I plan to put a TV into and the other is in the Master Bathroom that we don't use that often. Both of the goofed up Joey's are each paired with a different hopper.

I may end up running some Eithernet to the Joey's to try to fix the issue, but there is something definitely wrong with MOCA to the Joey's. I even tried to enable Internet over MOCA as in a previous thread. No difference. Problem is that we watch 90% of the TV in the home in 2 rooms. The Family Room and Master Bed Room. Now that the MBR has the Joey the WAF is for crap for the new equipment!

Is it a 100% requirement that Hoppers be fed with branded 3GZ cable. I have RG6 quad shield running to the MBR, can I get away by moving the Hopper from the Den upstairs on the RG6-Q?

I was so sick of the installers after them being here for 6 hours and their the Russians condesending attitude I just said screw it, get the damn things with pictures and I'll do the rest myself! They just tacked up wire which I made them take down and run it through the holes already in the rafters. And pissed off my wife to no end when they took the old equipment and drug it BANGING down the expensive Cherry railed stairs. She screamed at him and he said they were told to destroy the old equipment so they drag it down stairs. I told them a sledge hammer outside would do the same thing. His tool belt was scraping the wood and brand new wall paint. I wonder if I can file a claim for the wood and wall repairs. None of them were a result of the install, but of their carelessness.

Everybody has mentioned coax, and RG-6, but nobody had mentioned to make sure it is RG-6 rated for 3Ghz, or 3000 Mhz. Shame on them all! Run 4 coax in from the outside, this will cover max dish network cables needed and an additional for OTA, if you need or want. I would run at least 2 coax to each room, and cat6 to each room, it's not that much more than cat5,and who knows what the future will bring for capabilities with that. Bring all the cables together in a central location, preferably in a room on an outside wall. Don't put your furnace/utility room in the middle of the basement, put it on an outside wall, so you can always get more stuff into it after the basement is finished.

bookworm370 said:
Is it a 100% requirement that Hoppers be fed with branded 3GZ cable. I have RG6 quad shield running to the MBR, can I get away by moving the Hopper from the Den upstairs on the RG6-Q?

If dish comes out and sees no 3gz the tech will not get paid. (That's why he replaced it)

Thanks, that explains that.. But can do you think I can move my Den Hopper back upstairs to the MBR and still have it run on the Quad Shield RG-6? The MBR Joey is really a PITA.

bookworm370 said:
Thanks, that explains that.. But can do you think I can move my Den Hopper back upstairs to the MBR and still have it run on the Quad Shield RG-6? The MBR Joey is really a PITA.

Yes For sure. Take a look at the install guide and wiring diagrams in the guide.

You can do this, but if it doesn't say 3Ghz on the cable, it's not. And if you use non-rated cable, most likely you will lose the 3rd tuner. It uses that high frequency band(2500-3000Mhz) for the 3rd tuner.
And whether the guy had a strong russian accent or not.... Call up an electrician and ask him how much to come and run that cable the way you want it, to the MBR. He'd charge you $100 or more for the cable, plus another $100+ for labor. So you shouldn't expect a Dish tech to do it for free.

Ok thanks guys, I'll try to move it first and put it on the quad shield and see if I lose the 3rd tuner. If not then I'm a happy camper. If not then I may call up a good local electrician I've used that can get cables anywhere!

The guy from Dish assured me there is nothing that the Joey can't do that the Hopper can. Well, I found one last night, Autohop is not available on a Joey so that's becoming the imperative to move the Hopper up to the bedroom!

I'm waiting on an installer now. I doubt ANY of my coax is marked 3 GHz. One run would be easy to replace. The other, not. I hope he will give it a try with existing, 5-6 year old coax. Everything is fished to wall plates.

I won't be allowing any Dish QA types into my home.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Brian,

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'auto hop isn't working on your key'. On my hoppers when I watch a show that was recorded on a hopper it's asks if I want to skip the commercials. No such message appears on the Joey's. Is there something I have to special on a Joey to get auto-hop to work?

If auto hop isn't working on your key then something is wrong.

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts