Redoing Roof what to do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ETS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Port Ewen, NY
I got DirecTV last May, and either this month or next I am getting my roof replaced. The Roofers say I need to have DirecTV remove the dish while they work. Then have them put it back up.

What do I do so I can still see TV while they work on roof. It's a 2 story house and DirecTV said they could just get it over the neighbor's tree. Where could they put the dish while the roofers work. I have a garage(only 1 story) could they put it their?

help plz lol

If they can get a Line of sight from the roof of the Garage, yes.. :)

would DirecTV be mad that they have to take it down from house then up to garage then down off garage the back up to the orginal spot on house? lol

How much would it be for them to do so? What if they can't get line of sight?

If you move it to the garage why move it back to the roof of the house? I personally dislike the option of having a dish mounted to the roof. You could talk to them about relocating it to a pole near the base of your house if you have line of sight from that location.

would DirecTV be mad that they have to take it down from house then up to garage then down off garage the back up to the orginal spot on house? lol

How much would it be for them to do so? What if they can't get line of sight?

I don't think they will get mad but they will charge you for the service calls. Not bad since the roof is costing you a lot, just another $100 for 2 calls.

Personally I would ask the roofer to take it down when they get to that part of the roof. Just cut the cables and remove the 4 or 6 screws with a drill, it's just a 1/2" or 5/8" bit anyway.

That would save you $75.

Schedule a DirecTV call in advance for the day after the roof is to be completed to have it remounted and hooked up. They will just put it back up and run a new wire. If you don't want them to cut the wire you can unscrew the LNB (eyes of the satellite) and just disconnect the coax, but I"m not sure the roofer would be cooperative versus just cutting the cable and taking it down the ladder.

Surely for the thousands you are paying their company a $20 tip would garner the cooperation of the actual laborer.

Personally I would ask the roofer to take it down when they get to that part of the roof. Just cut the cables and remove the 4 or 6 screws with a drill, it's just a 1/2" or 5/8" bit anyway.

That would save you $75.

Schedule a DirecTV call in advance for the day after the roof is to be completed to have it remounted and hooked up. They will just put it back up and run a new wire. If you don't want them to cut the wire you can unscrew the LNB (eyes of the satellite) and just disconnect the coax, but I"m not sure the roofer would be cooperative versus just cutting the cable and taking it down the ladder.

Surely for the thousands you are paying their company a $20 tip would garner the cooperation of the actual laborer.

+1

Good idea........just have the roofers remove the bolts...HD uses 1/2 inch bolts and SD uses 7/16 bolts/ The mastis probably attached with 7/16. Just hand them a wrench and let them hang it over the edge of the roof while they work. Schedule the service call now for the day after the roof work.

Also now is an opportunity to install a CommDeck mast mount. It is superior to the system Directv uses for free and the roofers will be able to mount it while applying the shingles.

Joe

I had my roof done a couple of years ago. Each roofer I spoke to said he would remove then reinstall the dish. I would try another roofer.

Btw, they can't align it back perfectly. I made the mistake of telling directv I had the roof replaced. Had I said nothing they would have realigned for free.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I second the Commdeck. Take the dish down yourself, save yourself 75.00. Have the Commdeck on hand for the roofers and have them install it. Then have DirecTV come out and reinstall the dish on the Commdeck. You will never have to worry about moving it again. Plus it's a cleaner, stronger, and more watertight installation with no visible wires.

If the roofer won't do it you will need to remove it yourself or pony up the second service call, unless you know someone willing to do it. It is pretty easy to take down, but without experience it is worth the $75 to have it put back up.

Just called another roofer he said he would take it down and put it back up in the same day. Thats good.

Will the signal be good still or would I have to call DirecTV to fix it?(or time will tell? lol)

Almost certain you will need directv to re-aim the dish. I wouldn't even have them put it back up, let the satellite installer do that. Just have them take it down carefully so it can be reused.

Just called another roofer he said he would take it down and put it back up in the same day. Thats good.

Will the signal be good still or would I have to call DirecTV to fix it?(or time will tell? lol)

OK, speaking as a roofer or more appropriately a roofing project manager...

Don't have the roofer put it back, they're roofers not dish installers.

Would you hire a surgeon to put a new roof on your house?

OK, speaking as a roofer or more appropriately a roofing project manager...

Don't have the roofer put it back, they're roofers not dish installers.

Would you hire a surgeon to put a new roof on your house?

Talos4,

AS a former roofer...only guy who could read prints, have a B Comcl 'mit. and free to travel for a few years.........you are correct.

But get to know and love the CommDeck line. These things apply like shingles and when installed with a shingle roof could be small but constant bucks to you. They are basically a pipe flange with a little stiffening.

At the end of the work if the mast is plumb and stable you are done. Find a former installer in your area (plentiful) to peak the dish and you can build a few hundred into providing a service.

Google them CommDeck folks,

Joe

Joe, the company I work for does very little residential. 85-90% commercial low slope. the other 10-15%, commercial steep slope, historic restorations.

I'm familiar with the CommDeck line, in fact I insisted on installing one on one of my brothers homes when he re-roofed. It's a great product, zero problems.

try your sidewall!

don't put your dish back on teh roof again! spare yourself some trouble, all right? when you put dishes on the vinyl siding, it's cheaper to replace and maintain than asphalt roofs.

I got DirecTV last May, and either this month or next I am getting my roof replaced. The Roofers say I need to have DirecTV remove the dish while they work. Then have them put it back up.

What do I do so I can still see TV while they work on roof. It's a 2 story house and DirecTV said they could just get it over the neighbor's tree. Where could they put the dish while the roofers work. I have a garage(only 1 story) could they put it their?

help plz lol

get your roofer to install commdeck for your dish...

put it on tripod for now

don't put your dish back on teh roof again! spare yourself some trouble, all right? when you put dishes on the vinyl siding, it's cheaper to replace and maintain than asphalt roofs.

Not in my experience!

For sure the vinyl siding will be crunched. IF the dish has to be removed there will be that ding to deal with. Additionally, wall sheathing is often insufficient to support the weight of the most recent Ka/Ku dishes.

And wind load is not like weight. It comes and goes at different levels from different directions until something moves and water enters.

Relocating the dish somewhere where neither the roof or wall is involved would be nice.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts